Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone run in new balance 1400 for Ironman?
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I'd like to know is New Balance 1400 is enough cushion for Ironman distance? I have run in New Balance up to 15 miles. Forefront was kind not enough cushion for me. Should I going to different shoes that have more cushion? I'd like to have shoes that at least 9-10mm toe to heel drop. So any recommend on shoes for ironman distance. Your feedback would appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run in new balance 1400 for Ironman? [Dan7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've run exclusively NB for 8 yrs now. 1400s for halves and less, 1080s for longer and training.

I tired to run 1400s in training for longer and by end of 2 hours I felt like the heel was collapsing and my forefoot really began to ache.

1080s are neutral. Cushioning shoe with a drop as you were looking into. I was flirting to squeeze a marathon in Vancouver in 1400s but after a 10 mile test this week I'm just too worried of foot pain. Their 980s are what Koelsat and the boys wear (Canadian marathoners in London)

If you can find Gillian Clayton on Twitter she ran IMC 2012 to the win and I believe wore 1400s.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have worn 1400s for two open marathons with success and I will likely continue to wear them for open marathons and halfs. That said, I will probably wear something with a little more cushion for IM Chattanooga. At the advice of my running shop, I have switched from 1600s to On Clouds as my training shoe and the Clouds are what I will likely wear for future IMs. My thinking is that the added comfort will be the bigger benefit over weight in IM which will translate to speed and hopefully will aid in recovery. For my first IM I just used the same shoes I trained in (Mizuno Wave Elixirs that I never should have been running in in the first place) as I was pretty inexperienced and had not worn race flats at that point.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Last edited by: Rowan Jones: Apr 18, 14 8:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends. Everyone needs a different shoe.

Are you 140 lbs or 240 lbs or somewhere in between? Do you run or shuffle? What shoes do you train in? Do you need a shoe with a post or just cushion? etc etc

Quote | Reply
Good point. NB 1400s worked well for me running sub-3 at 150 lbs.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a sub 3:40 at IMLP in Nike Zoom Streaks - which are crazy light and awesome. That course has a lot of downhill sections, and I had zero issues with cushioning. I could have used a new pair of quads though after all those hills! Prior to the Zoom streaks, I was in the spikeless Nike Waffle Racer XC. I did a sub 3:40 open marathon in those without any issues. But that was back before there were lots of minimal shoes to choose from - I don't see that shoe around anymore. For the last year I've been exclusively in the Merrell Road Gloves, which are my favorite out of all of them - but that is a zero drop shoe, so doesn't meet your specs.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's little background of myself. Hope it will help..I'm 5'11 and 153-157 lbs. I'm training in NB 1400. I did HIM in NB 1400. My recent HIM (run split is 1:34). I never ran marathon, so I'll do my first Ironman in 6 weeks.
Last edited by: Dan7: Apr 18, 14 8:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan7 wrote:
Here's little background of myself. Hope it will help..I'm 5'11 and 153-157 lbs. I'm training in NB 1400. I did HIM in NB 1400. My recent HIM (run split is 1:34). I never ran marathon, so I'll do my first Ironman in 6 weeks.

I don't know if anyone will say what will work for you. Really, if you do your long runs in training in them, then i think they should be right for running a marathon.

For me. I run marathons in adidas tempo. But i do all my running in them (except track). Thats a lightweight trainer which is close to a NB 1400 (but a little bit more shoe).

If you are happy with them for 20 miles, you should be fine for the extra 6 imo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're doing the bulk of your running in them, then you'll definitely be fine, and anything else will be too much shoe.

I think the new 890's are basically a more cushioned version of the 1400s.

You can mix those into your training beforehand and see if you like them enough to run a marathon in them, but you'd probably be fine in the 1400s.

Quote | Reply
Dan7 wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to know is New Balance 1400 is enough cushion for Ironman distance? I have run in New Balance up to 15 miles. Forefront was kind not enough cushion for me. Should I going to different shoes that have more cushion? I'd like to have shoes that at least 9-10mm toe to heel drop. So any recommend on shoes for ironman distance. Your feedback would appreciated.

Thanks

Dan:

Did you end up using them? Have the same question, of course, I have about 10 months to figure it out (IMLP 2016). Got the 1400 v3 and love them, ran my last HIM in Hokas and felt they retained too much water--alot of squishing around--looking for something light and with a drop 10mm or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved my 1400s. Somebody guilted me into throwing them in the trash after my last race a couple of weeks ago, because they were all chewed up. But the longest I've ever run in them was a half, and I found that a pretty harsh ride. I find them fine up to 10 miles, but want a little bit more shoe after that. I'm about 15 pounds heavier than you though.

If NB would make a 1400 with some more padding that would be great. They would have my business for sure. The NB Vazee is almost that, but not quite. You could give those a shot though.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using 1400's exclusively for the past 2 years now from 1 mile race to 60k road race. They are phenomenal--for me that is--I will have to agree with others that shoe selection is very individual. One thing that I have noticed with the 1400's though is that after 250 miles in them they just don't feel right anymore so I throw them out and start a new pair up and am back to feeling great.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone run in new balance 1400 for Ironman? [favata1213] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
favata1213 wrote:
Dan7 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks

Dan:

Did you end up using them? Have the same question, of course, I have about 10 months to figure it out (IMLP 2016). Got the 1400 v3 and love them, ran my last HIM in Hokas and felt they retained too much water--alot of squishing around--looking for something light and with a drop 10mm or so.

I have the 1400s and can't say how much I love them. But at 6'2" 180 they were great for a half. But more than that just wasn't enough. So I bought the new 1400s for shorter work and track sessions and bought the NB Zante for the IM. I might love the Zante even more than the 1400. Almost as light, more cushion (but not squishy). Love em and would recommend them for long runs for sure as a safe bet over the 1400. Tried the vazee pace and didn't like them at all. The only knock I'd have is the drop is only 6mm I think. Would have liked 8 or 10 more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train long runs in NB 1080, 1400 for short/tempo, and raced IMC in the 1500. My race weight is about 155 lbs. My only problem with the 1400's over longer distances was in my right ankle due to an old injury and I found that the 1500's provided a little more support.
Quote Reply