Anyone...............Comments
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride a softride allsop mnt bike? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney, I rode one for a few years back in the 90's with a matching softride suspension stem. The beam was lightly damped so it worked very well on washboard dirt roads, although you did get some vibration through your feet. The downside is the lack of damping front and rear and the geometry of the suspension stem could make it a handfull on more technical trails with drop offs, the stem could overcompress and the beam extend quickly turning it into a catapult!
It might be a cool retro thing to have and ride on some trails, but todays full suspension bikes are more capable in every way. Michael Tobin had quite a bit of success racing Xterra on one.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride a softride allsop mnt bike? [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I have a Gary Fisher full suspension. I have been going retro...................No more new stuff. I should be posting My 80's Pinarello Prologo this week. Was thinking about getting this just for fun.....................What do you tink of the welding that had to be done? Thanks, greatly appreciate it. Kenney.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...mp;item=310089599555
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember those bikes - I was racing at the 1995 NORBA national in Helen Georgia, and Bob Roll was there and racing on one of them. I went to breakfast with some friends and we so Bob sitting by himself having breakfast and we figured no one wanted to be seen with him because of that crazy bike he was riding ;-)

Christopher Kautz
Director of Technology, Product Development, and Education
GURU Sports, a division of Cannondale Sports Unlimited
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have my doubts about the welding on the beam mount....... I think a ride on that could end for Kenney like a South Park episode........
I forgot about Bob Roll riding one on the Norba circuit. I guarantee people would stop to ask questions about the bike.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could buy this one on ebay right now for $300!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sidZp1742.m153.l1262

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, did I ever want one of those back in the day!

Specifically, I wanted an Otis Guy frame built for the Softride beam with a Manitou2 front end (I never did buy into the suspension stem - Allsop or Girvin).

When I quit mountian biking for road racing that desire morphed into a wish for a beam roadie (hey - it worked for Alex Stieda!). That or a Slingshot!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride a softride allsop mnt bike? [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been looking at that, thats the reason for the post (I put a link to that earlier in the post.). What do you think of that weld in the description? Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What do you think of that weld in the description? Thanks

Sketchy.

If you know a good frame builder/welder (s)he might be able to assess the repair and fix it if need be, but I sure wouldn't ride that as is...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride a softride allsop mnt bike? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai, Breezer also made a Softride beam compatible frame called appropriately the "beamer". It was beautifull fillet brazed steel from memory with the classic Breezer paint scheme. I have to confess to lusting after one, but stuck with the alloy original.
I actually started out on a Slingshot as my first ever tri geometry bike before switching it for a Softride Power V. I have never ridden a bike that navigated through bumpy corners quite like the Slingshot as it would actually flex laterally.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I just saw the original two word post.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but any advice? I have seen your post's for years, so I respect your opinion. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Kenney. Unfortunately, I have no experienece of this model. As Khai said I expect a competent frame builder could weld the crack if it needed to be. It's one hell of a bargain if it's a seminal frame to your growing up and for that $300 doesn't seem a lot. On the flip side as my first viewing it's not a looker but then I have never seen one before.

In this instance I would say it's a purchase that you will probably make with your heart and not your head, so it's really about whether it's worth the money for you to enjoy looking at.

Difficult decision but a fun one to make.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Did you see my post on the 80's steerer tube that Khai posted to. I will be posting pictures of that rebuild with-in the week. If you have any suggestions, please post. Thanks

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Khai on your options, in theory a welded steerer would work but I wouldn't trust it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I almost bought that bike at Christmas. I watched it for a long time but decided not to bite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey man, if you're still looking for a Softride mtb, check this out: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bik/1092052789.html

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ride a softride allsop mnt bike? [ckautz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney, I noticed the comment on the 95' NORBA Nationals in Helen. A good friend just passed away and he finished 3rd in XC that year. I'm trying to get whatever I can to memorialize his life. Know where I might find anything from the race that year? Results, pics, posters, whatever. I really appreciate it.

C Ryan Robinson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a new softride back in 1993, the stem work great for washboard roads ,not good on rocks. After a year I put a Judy fork on it. Now it has a bomber fork.I still ride on trails with few rock.I ride a 29er hard tail on rocky and sandy trails. Would be interesting to have a 29 er with the beam suspension. Never had a problem with riding with the beam,some people report beam can act like a catapult .
Quote Reply