Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anybody still using a Vasa erg out there?
Quote | Reply
I've been limited in time and getting to the pool at all is a major problem for me with a toddler. Am still seriously considering buying a Vasa Erg to supplement my very limited pool time.

Saw a bunch of good reviews and posts on it over a year back, but it's been dead silent from any users out there recently. I even emailed the company Vasa to inquire about finding a place I could try it out locally in Norcal, but never heard back from them.

Anybody still using these things successfully?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still using a Vasa erg out there? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before our house was hit by the tornado and my vasa erg crushed I had one and used it about. 2 x week.

I loved the vasa erg. I don't have room for one now. But it is a great piece of equipment. I found that for wetsuit swims it kept me very fit, gave me good form and kept me strong. My wetsuit times were just as good as when i simply swam 3 x week and no vasa. Plus, it was a "substitute" for not going to the pool when time did not allow.

I think a perfect swim week for me would be 2 long pool interval sessions and 2 vasa sessions per week.

I highly recommend the vasa erg. I wish I had mine back.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found good use on my Halo Swim trainer since this summer. 10 min 3 x week to supplement swims.

http://www.haloswimtraining.com/guest/index.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a vasa ergometer 2x/wk. Not sure if it helps actual swimming or not but it has more resistance and you can measure your power output. I also use the simulated rowing for additional core strengthening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lightheir, we have one at my training facility in SF - great tool. Feel free to come on by during class hours and check it out.

Also, for those cyclists/triathletes whose travels take them to San Francisco, feel free to drop in on our indoor cycling classes - power-based training using the CycleOps 300Pro Indoor Cycles. Injured runners might opt for the Alter G.

Michael McCormack
www.m2rev.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still using a Vasa erg out there? [m2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michael....where is your studio located in the San Francisco area. Would love to drop by if schedule permits. I was in San Jose for 5 out of 10 weeks this fall...hopefully I don't have to be on that travel schedule in the new year, hopefully less than once a month, but would love check out your place and try the vasa erg and your cyclops machines. What pedal system do you have on them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've posted some reviews, so I won't repeat. But I still have mine, still use it, and I think it is a great piece of equipment. Aftrer having it for many years, I have found this: I can go a year with no swimming, just training on vasa, and still jump into an Olympic distance tri and swim around 27-minutes, which is fine for me. Only thing is my heart feels a bit higher than normal in the triathlon swim when I am training exclusively on the vasa (but that goes away after the first minute or so). Bike and run improved dramatically when I had more free time for that and less time getting to and from pool. Last year, I signed up for Alcatraz for first time, and the swim made me nervous, so I spent a lot more time swimming than in the past. In about a month of swimming 3 times a week in the pool, my swim times were best ever for me, and I got down to a 25-minute Olympic distance swim by end of summer.
So: If you want to swim fast, I would recommend vasa plus pool. If you want to maintain and can handle slightly higher heart rate in actual race, can train exclusively on vasa. Also fun for basement brick workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was interested in one last year and tried one for a quick 20 minutes or so stopping to ask questions. My problem was that it forces you to be flat the entire time. I swim with a good amount of rotation and by it's very nature the Vasa won't and can't account for that. I asked 'so if I swim and I'm up on my side like this when I initiate the catch in the water, how is this helping me by forcing it totally flat'. He had no response for that and that was the end of my Vasa test. Now then maybe there is a way to incorporate that and the salesman didn't know? I just know I felt zero similarity to my 'water stroke' b/c it forced me to stay totally flat.

I'd be interested if someone could answer that for me, perhaps a Vasa rep in on here?
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Dec 19, 11 3:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I even emailed the company Vasa to inquire about finding a place I could try it out locally in Norcal, but never heard back from them.

I'm curious if anyone has heard from Vasa recently? I was interested in testing one out and maybe purchasing this past year. I emailed several times over the course of about a 3 month period, and ordered the DVD and brochure as well. I didn't receive the DVD, brochure, or a return email. Their customer service seems to be lacking (to say the least).
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still using a Vasa erg out there? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, thanks for checking in. We are in downtown San Francisco, 1440 Bush Street which is just off of Van Ness, and a pretty easy shot coming up the 101.

Pedals are SPD. We could either loan you a pair of cycling shoes or you could bring your own pedals and swap them out. The CycleOps bikes are sweet, and we have a lot of fun toys - Alter-G, high speed16mph treadmill, vasa ergometer and benches, TRX, etc.

We run a 60inch plasma and BlueRay in front of class; TdF videos, NFL games, etc. - currently having fun making our own "Powerfest Videos" using footage we gather from our rides on classic NorCal routes, road and off-road.

Let me know when you will be in town.

Best,

Michael McCormack
www.m2rev.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still using a Vasa erg out there? [edcook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ed,

I happened to notice your comments on ST today. I apologize if you have not received the information you requested. That must be frustrating for you. Also I am very surprised to read that you have not received our typical outstanding service. We pride ourselves on such and I will investigate what happened in your case.

It would be very useful to know the forms by which you attempted to contact us so that we can fix anything not working properly.

Please feel free to contact me directly with your requests. We'll make it happen.
Sincerely
Rob Sleamaker

Founder and Owner
Vasa, Inc.
1 Allen Martin Drive
Essex Junction, Vermont 05452 USA
Telephone: 802-872-7101
Fax: 802-872-7104
Email: robert@vasatrainer.com
Vasa website: http://www.vasatrainer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again to you, I am sorry you have not received the information you were seeking from my company. This is quite uncharacteristic of Vasa and I will look into the reasons why you did not get a reply.

If you will email or call me, I will personally attend to your needs and get the information you need to make a good decision.

Coincidentally, there was a recent pod cast Q &A from Coach Al Lyman. The question came from a triathlete wanting to know:
Vasa Ergometer or CompuTrainer. Here is the link to listen to the coach's answer.

http://pursuitathleticperformance.com/...eter-or-computrainer

Rob Sleamaker
Vasa, Inc.
1 Allen Martin Drive
Essex Junction, Vermont 05452 USA
Telephone: 802-872-7101
Fax: 802-872-7104
Email: robert@vasatrainer.com
Vasa website: http://www.vasatrainer.com

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still using a Vasa erg out there? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased a Vasa Erg a few years back and still use it regularly. I use the Vasa Erg to develop muscular endurance/strength rather than as a replacement for pool swimming. I believe that you can more effectively develop a good EVF swim stroke using the Vasa Erg as compared to swimming in the pool. I tend to do shorter workouts with a high damper setting and a low arm turnover to focus on my catch and pull. You still need water to work on balance, timing, rotation, etc. I feel the investment was worthwhile and has helped with my swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the Vasa Erg since 2007. I train with it 2x/week throughout the year. Come May/June when the outdoor pools open, I'll add two pool sessions to the mix. This has been what I have needed to stay competitive for my AG when I race Sprint to HIM.

Vasa customer service has always been great. On any given day when you call, don't be surprised if the owner (Rob) picks up the phone. Vasa makes a great product and I have never been disappointed.
-Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience the Vasa Erg has been the best training tool next to the bike power meter.

It absolutely without a doubt worked for me.
During the racing season I mix pool and Erg sessions. For 7 months through the end of 2010 and beginning of 2011 I trained exclusively on it. In the first race of 2011 my pace was as good as the last race in 2010 and probably better (hard to compare different swim courses).

Of course I'm sure I'd have been faster if I'd gone to the pool during the winter too.
The manufacturer doesn't recommend training exclusively on it.
But, the Vasa Erg saved me tons of time to spend with my family or to ride/run more.

I love it.

"on downhill bits I can sometimes attack without pedaling =)

it is the uphill bits that are hard though" Jackmott
Last edited by: usairl: Jan 24, 12 20:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using an ergometer since the late fall of 2008 and find that it will do different things for different people. If you have good swim form and are one of those guys (like desert dude) who can jump in a pool after months off of swimming and swim 1:30 100s then that person could probably "swim" using the Vasa two or three times a week and never go to a pool but still crush the rest of us in a tri swim.
If you don't swim regularly because pools are darn inconvenient then you can definately up you fitness level with a Vasa.
If you are a bad swimmer because you have bad swim form then the Vasa will only make you a more fit bad swimmer.
For the past three years I have used mine about eight months out of the year; I tell myself every fall that I need to "swim" through the winter and then just cannot do it. That said, I have equalled my best (still modest) tri swim times by swimming only on the Vasa and only getting wet at races.
The ergometer has a power function that provides a similar function to a bike power meter and so this past year I used it to do threshold and VO2 swimming and that was all I did; generally 2-3 times per week. By late September, after starting in late March, I did a pool swim that was faster than I had ever managed before.
Definately a great tool that makes your training time more efficient.
Chad
P.S. Just a warning. If you think pool swimming is a boring as it is, then the Vasa is even worse. Use it to get on, warm up quick and then hammer hard. Or you can watch a movie and zone out. I even read a book using a Kindle. That definately helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have one, love it when I use it. Wish I used it more.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still using a Vasa erg out there? [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I happened upon this video clip on YouTube... when you buy the erg it comes with a full length video showing and describing different uses. Thought this might answer your question about roll/rotation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-u0akR23yo&feature=related

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still using a Vasa erg out there? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chad,

I certainly appreciate your positive comments about the Vasa Ergometer, which you have generously submitted on ST.

However, I cannot completely agree with your recent statement:
"If you are a bad swimmer because you have bad swim form then the Vasa will only make you a more fit bad swimmer."

It is true that if one uses a poor form swim stroke on the Vasa Ergometer, it will likely improve the fitness, yet it is unlikely it will magically improve one's stroke technique. Perfect practice makes perfect.

In fact, many swimmers with poor stroke technique actually leverage the unique characteristics of the Vasa Ergometer frame, resistance, and power meter to make significant improvements to their swimming form and efficiency. It works even better with occasional feedback from a qualified coach and also if the athlete arranges a mirror or video camera to see themselves. The latter is especially valuable when fatigue begins to set in.

Allow me to post a recent email note from a Vasa Erg user. It is merely one of numerous comments we receive from swimmers, coaches and triathletes of all abilities who use the Vasa Ergometer to improve their technique, as well as their swim-specific fitness:

story: "I am a 46 year old masters swimmer and am faster now than I was in my
thirties, and much credit goes to my Vasa Ergometer. When I first started
training on the erg, I would "pretend" I was swimming in the water. Now that
I understand the biomechanical advantage of stroke training with the Vasa,
it's just the opposite. When I'm swimming, I "pretend" I'm on the Vasa
ergometer! The result has been more distance per stroke and less fatigue for
equal yardage!"

Available on the Vasa website are several video clips that were produced to assist in making improvements to stroke mechanics. They use the Vasa Ergometer as the teaching framework, however the technique advice may be used effectively in the pool or open water, regardless of using a Vasa Erg or not. I hope that will prove useful.
http://www.vasatrainer.com/...age=movie_BT_KPN_EVF
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still using a Vasa erg out there? [Rob Sleamaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob, are there any plans to allow you to export a workout from the vasa erg? For example it would be useful to be able to upload a data file to training peaks.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still using a Vasa erg out there? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray,

In the Fall of 2013, we will be launching a wireless version of the power meter for the Vasa Swim Ergometer. It employs ANT+ technology for transmitting data to a variety of receivers. Athletes and coaches will be able to upload data to Training Peaks, and use it with Trainer Road or Wahoo Fitness apps.

One useful function is the ability to monitor Right and Left arm Power independently in real time. This biofeedback will allow the athlete (and coach) to balance R & L power during the workout, which is telling once fatigue sets in. This affords the athlete and coach to diagnose the imbalance and take corrective measures on and off the Vasa Swim Erg to achieve R & L power balance and develop fatigue resistance while maintaining efficient Freestyle technique.

If you are interested, please contact us at Vasa for more information and notifications.
Thank you,

Rob Sleamaker
Vasa, Inc.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by cdw [ In reply to ]
Re: Anybody still using a Vasa erg out there? [Rob Sleamaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has the ANT+ function been released yet?

My Blog - My Tweets - My Strava
My Bikes - CF SLX, 622SLX, O-1.0, AL9.0, 4.3Disc, Slice BI, C60
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://kayakpro.com/swimfast/

We have a new Swim Ergo out, regards, Gray
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody still using a Vasa erg out there? [Graysonhugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks really nice. Too bad the pricing is just as painful as the vasa... :(
Quote Reply