Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody else get "Scintillating Scatoma" after workouts?
Quote | Reply
If you read the title and opened this post, you most likely do suffer from Scintillating Scatoma. You know, start to loose part of vision because of a flashing spot...The flashing zig-zag move to outer edge of eyes, then, after 20 minute or so, goes away.

The common consensus is that is a migraine headace, without the pain.

Anyhow, since I started uping my intensity on the bike trainer workouts, I seem to be getting them after each workout. Could it be clustering since the intensity is greater? I used to get them sometimes after early season races, then as the season wore on and I got used to the intensity, they went away.

I know they're not really and issue, but, hard not go to into a mini-panic each time.
Last edited by: vibrolux: Jan 14, 11 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody else get "Scintillating Scatoma" after workouts? [vibrolux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get these all the time and never new it was classified as a "condition." Usually appears in the dead center of my vision, about the size of a dime at arms length and goes away after about 5 - 10 minutes. Interestingly I've never suffered a migraine and rarely get general head aches (maybe 2x per year for 10 minutes). When I was an over-exercised kid and had a resting bp of 100/45 I used to pass out when I stood too fast and always associated the two together as the onset of passing out looked very similar.

Should I be worried about it? Now I'll have to look it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody else get "Scintillating Scatoma" after workouts? [psyopper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, unless you have a detached retina, which sounds like not an issue. I'm checked for that every year by my eye doc.

Here's some useful information: http://www.redshifter.org/...llating_scotoma.html

It's mostly just a somewhat scary annoyance.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody else get "Scintillating Scatoma" after workouts? [vibrolux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somewhat related article - Riding Yourself Cross-Eyed - http://www.velonews-digital.com/...ws/201009?pg=80#pg80
Last edited by: Brushman: Jan 14, 11 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, but there is this certain thing my wife does to me that causes it !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my first one this week and it scared me to death. Luckilly I had enough vision to google and found out it was most likely benign but it really scared me. I was so happy when it ended. It did get bigger and bigger though and while I didn't actually lose my vision the zigzaggy area was so bright I had trouble seeing as it would obscure anything it covered. I've worked out to the point of amenorrhea and never got them so I'm not sure they're related to workout intensity. Now that I've hit 50 I've been getting more floaters and flashes and I thought it might be part of that. After mine ended (20 min?) I had an eyeache but no migraine.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Anybody else get "Scintillating Scatoma" after workouts? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that maybe 3-4 times per year, but never during or right after a workout. It usually happens when I'm tired, and after looking at something bright. It's pretty scary indeed the first time, because it begins right in the middle of my vision, which means I can't see what I'm directly focusing on. Then it slowly grows bigger into a crescent shape and moves to the side, and disappears completely after maybe 10 minutes. I don't get migraines or headaches with it, but I do feel a little bit weird for a while after an occurrence.

I would love to know what causes them, but it doesn't seems like anyone knows exactly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this the same thing as "Occular Migrane" I have these crescent shape images obsuring my vision that kind of quiver and have zig zag patterns. Happens about every 2 months and last 5-20 minutes. I heard them called "Occular Migranes" My eye doctor had not heard of this, but it seems to describe the problem. It is not really an eye problem, but a vascular problem i believe. Pretty benighn. No pain, but anoying when it happens. I think they occur when i have higher sinus pressure. But that happens a lot so maybe i just want to blame the sinuses.
Quote Reply