Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon
Quote | Reply
I'm not really sure this is germane to anything, but if not, i expect it will fall off the front page. If it is, I hope it engenders some discussion. I don't really know that I have a particular reason for sharing this other than that there seems to be a lot of talk of testing (or lack thereof) within triathlon.

Since 2010, I have been on the WTC OOC testing pool. This was originally run by ANADO, a "conglomerate" of sorts that is now folded. One of the admins at ANADO was hired by WTC to continue to run their program. As part of being in this pool, I was tested - at WTC's behest - typically about 3x per year OOC (in both 2010 & 2011). I was also tested in competition at IMAZ 2009, IMC 2011. I think those are the only races where I had IC testing.

This year, I was only tested once OOC - back in February - and I was then NOT tested at IMTX (no one was), which I found surprising. But then I was tested both pre-comp (blood and urine) and post-comp (urine only) at IMNYC.

I have also, for the past 2.5 years, maintained my whereabouts info through the WADA ADAMS system.

However, for Q4 2012, I got notice that I was now on the USADA RTP, and I would now keep my whereabouts with USADA and also be subject to OOC tests at USADA's behest. USADA shares whereabouts with WTC, and WTC can also request that I be tested OOC.

The reason for my inclusion on the USADA list? My ranking on the KPR. After IMNYC, I jumped to 7th on the KPR, which is what flagged me in USDA's system for inclusion on their RTP list.

I don't really have much to add, but if some folks find this information helpful, useful, etc, I'm glad. I'm also happy to answer what questions I do know the answer to. Or to find out answers to questions which seem reasonable/helpful (or things that I probably should know but don't).

The one thing that all of these debates have made clear is that there is a lack of transparency, some unintentional, some obviously intentional. And if I can help to make the whole thing more transparent with my experiences, I'm glad to do so.

I started on this forum as just a regular AG athlete. I've somehow managed to cobble together a pretty good living and career. And I'd like to do my part to show thanks by leaving this sport better than I found it. And I hope this is part of that effort.

As a random aside, at the beginning of this year, USAT submitted an application form for any pro who wanted to be on the USADA athlete "review" panel. If you had represented the USA at a world championship (or similar calibre) event, you were eligible to serve on that committee. Committee appointments ran for four years. At the time, I chose not to submit my name, because I thought it was another commitment I did not have time for as a new parent, etc. However, given everything that has gone on since then, I deeply regret not submitting my name. This isn't really apropos of anything, other than perhaps trying to admit that I had a chance to help make a difference, and I passed it up. I will be submitting my name in 2016, if the basic requirements for consideration are the same.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was tested both pre-comp (blood) . . .
I started on this forum as just a regular AG athlete. I've somehow managed to cobble together a pretty good living and career.

i paraphrased a little. i hope you don't mind.

so what do you think of this part of your transition from AG to pro? most of us probably think of it only in performance terms. this brings a different light to it. did you struggle at all with having to submit your blood? me, i give blood every quarter and i hate every second of it. if my hobby (passionate though it may be) required me to give blood (esp on demand), it might lose a little luster.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say "well done" on all fronts and also providing this level of visiblity.

Given the frequency of OOC testing are you worried that some of your peers may have the opportunity to go through lots of cycles of doping without testing risk?

In terms of the providing your whereabouts, what granularity do you need to provide. If I recall, when I read the fine print when I qualified for Kona and Vegas I was automatically in an OOC testing pool, but they don't actually tell age groupers that they have to say where they will be. So how the heck would they test an age grouper without knowing where the guy will be. For example, during the time, I was in the pool, I was on several biz trips in Asia and Europe that would last 7-14 days. How long do you have when the testers show up at your doorstep and wake up your wife and son at 4 am (not like they are going to waste resources bothering age groupers....but still how does this all work?).

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
Quote:
I started on this forum as just a regular AG athlete. I've somehow managed to cobble together a pretty good living and career.

so what do you think of this part of your transition from AG to pro? most of us probably think of it only in performance terms. this brings a different light to it. did you struggle at all with having to submit your blood? me, i give blood every quarter and i hate every second of it. if my hobby (passionate though it may be) required me to give blood (esp on demand), it might lose a little luster.

Dave

Geeze, they don't take a liter of blood each time. Which Got me thinking, how much blood do they take? I go in for blood work on a quarterly basis, they draw 1 to 3 test tubes of blood. I see no problem with that, it is just a fact of my life now as is stabbing my finger a couple of times a day to get a cople of drops of blood for the glucometer. And, I pee often enough that if someone wants a sample,they are welcome to it assuming I am hydrated enough to pee.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
Quote:

Dave

The DCO's (Doping Control Officers - full time employees of USADA in the USA and CCES in Canada) I've dealt with are some of the most professional people I can imagine dealing with. They obviously don't take the blood - they bring someone from a hospital - but I will say that you expect it to be somewhat ominous / confusing. Parts of the process are - the whereabouts thing is a bit nerve-wracking at times - but the actually testing I think is what I would expect. It's done well and professionally. I'm not needle-phobic or anything like that, so that was no big deal. But in general, when I've been tested OOC, I've always come away with a very positive impression of the folks who are really the "boots on the ground" for USADA.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Four test tubes. Two I think are about 10cc and two are about 15cc. But it might be closer to 5cc / 10cc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure this is the right place or not but...

I am wondering if top pros ae tested so infrequently (assuming most are like you), then how little are middling and neo pros being tested, not to mention top AGs.

Again I have to ask why spend millions upon millions to prosecute Armstrong (likely guilty) instead of stopping the doping at the grassroots pro levels and even within the AG ranks?

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to provide an hour a day where you guarantee you'll be somewhere. But you can update online (and in some countries via email/text) if you will miss that spot. E.g., you are stuck in a traffic jam or miss a flight or... You just need to update your 1hr slot in advance of the window actually starting. I.e., you can't say after the fact, "I was stuck in traffic." But if you are stuck in traffic, you can update your schedule in advance of that window starting.

You also must always provide an accurate overnight residence for each day (that doesn't need to be where your 1hr testing slot is; it's because they CAN show up at your residence outside of the 1hr slot, but obviously you don't have to be there).

You also have to account for so called "regular routines." Like, if you swim with a master's group every day, you have to put that in. If you don't go some morning, that's okay. You aren't REQUIRED to be at "regular routine" activities. But if you have a regular routine (I usually don't, except in winter when I swim masters), you do need to enter that.

You also need to enter any competitions. You are exempt from testing if you are traveling all day. They can only test you between 6am - 11pm.

I suppose they could just find out where you work and live, and they could show up. You don't have to be there. But if you are, they can test you.

Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slow triathlete wrote:
Not sure this is the right place or not but...

I am wondering if top pros ae tested so infrequently (assuming most are like you), then how little are middling and neo pros being tested, not to mention top AGs.

Again I have to ask why spend millions upon millions to prosecute Armstrong (likely guilty) instead of stopping the doping at the grassroots pro levels and even within the AG ranks?

I think that's a fair question. Probably no right answer. Imagine those decisions are made the same way that the DEA decides whether or not prosecute low level dealers or top level "kingpins." I don't know how those decisions are made. I think there are good arguments to be made for pretty much all positions. <shrug>

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply none-the-less. Appreciate the look.

Any opinions on the need for this?

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I'm not really sure this is germane to anything, but if not, i expect it will fall off the front page. If it is, I hope it engenders some discussion. I don't really know that I have a particular reason for sharing this other than that there seems to be a lot of talk of testing (or lack thereof) within triathlon.

Since 2010, I have been on the WTC OOC testing pool. This was originally run by ANADO, a "conglomerate" of sorts that is now folded. One of the admins at ANADO was hired by WTC to continue to run their program. As part of being in this pool, I was tested - at WTC's behest - typically about 3x per year OOC (in both 2010 & 2011). I was also tested in competition at IMAZ 2009, IMC 2011. I think those are the only races where I had IC testing.

This year, I was only tested once OOC - back in February - and I was then NOT tested at IMTX (no one was), which I found surprising. But then I was tested both pre-comp (blood and urine) and post-comp (urine only) at IMNYC.

I have also, for the past 2.5 years, maintained my whereabouts info through the WADA ADAMS system.

However, for Q4 2012, I got notice that I was now on the USADA RTP, and I would now keep my whereabouts with USADA and also be subject to OOC tests at USADA's behest. USADA shares whereabouts with WTC, and WTC can also request that I be tested OOC.

The reason for my inclusion on the USADA list? My ranking on the KPR. After IMNYC, I jumped to 7th on the KPR, which is what flagged me in USDA's system for inclusion on their RTP list.

I don't really have much to add, but if some folks find this information helpful, useful, etc, I'm glad. I'm also happy to answer what questions I do know the answer to. Or to find out answers to questions which seem reasonable/helpful (or things that I probably should know but don't).

The one thing that all of these debates have made clear is that there is a lack of transparency, some unintentional, some obviously intentional. And if I can help to make the whole thing more transparent with my experiences, I'm glad to do so.

I started on this forum as just a regular AG athlete. I've somehow managed to cobble together a pretty good living and career. And I'd like to do my part to show thanks by leaving this sport better than I found it. And I hope this is part of that effort.

As a random aside, at the beginning of this year, USAT submitted an application form for any pro who wanted to be on the USADA athlete "review" panel. If you had represented the USA at a world championship (or similar calibre) event, you were eligible to serve on that committee. Committee appointments ran for four years. At the time, I chose not to submit my name, because I thought it was another commitment I did not have time for as a new parent, etc. However, given everything that has gone on since then, I deeply regret not submitting my name. This isn't really apropos of anything, other than perhaps trying to admit that I had a chance to help make a difference, and I passed it up. I will be submitting my name in 2016, if the basic requirements for consideration are the same.

While it did make clear a lack of transparency, it even more made clear a lack of testing.

You have been tested a handful of times over the past 3 years, you've won multiple Iron distance races and are on pace or have qualified for Kona, their marquee race, and yet you've been tested just those few times.

I believe that you're an honest dude, I believe you're racing clean. But if you were to stand up in front of anyone and say "Im clean and these tests prove it" a la lance, no one would take it seriously (Im not suggesting you would ever do this).

This is the real problem with triathlon. Not the doping (Im sure thats a problem, but we cant handle that as the first problem), but the lack of testing for doping. More important than even stopping the current dopers, but the ability to get into the mindset of potential future dopers. Lance will be that token for the next generation of cyclists, but everyone in Tri knows he didnt get busted at a WTC race.
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, the best answer I can think of to try and prove I was clean in the case of an adverse finding or some other set of charges would be financial transparency. I think this is easier to do effectively with triathlon (because there are really no - or almost no - teams or similar where you'd have to worry about team finances), but overall, I think forensic accounting is one of the best ways to either show doping or - if you really are innocent - to show that you didn't dope. Drugs cost money. That's part of why I think if you are a clean athlete, you'd do well to avoid ANY sort of fraternization with a doctor who has a checkered past. I think there was some interesting stuff that came out at the TdF this year with SKY's stated goals - and what they actually did. I think that you'd be pretty hard pressed if you looked at my finances to show "that's suspicious!" And I think that's what I'd really rely on.

My own $0.02 is that when you start "consulting" with a doctor, that's a bit sketchy in the first place. Better make sure that doctor is 10x more squeaky clean than you are if you have a legit need to talk to a doctor.

I think that USADA ought to have a really good forensic accounting team (if they don't already). Perhaps it's my father's background, but I think if you follow the money, you almost always end up at the truth.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious, is the amount of testing (or lack thereof) a point of discussion among pro triathletes? Or is this just something a matter regarded as "it is what it is." I preface my next question with four qualifiers: 1) please don't take this the wrong way; 2) I'm not asking if YOU engage in this; 3) and I'm absolutely NOT asking you to name names; 4) feel free to ignore... With that out of the way, I'm curious if there is much speculation among pros on who might be taking PEDs. It seems from what I've read, pro cyclists and baseball players would often discuss other players success in the context of PEDs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per my other post. The Mrs. has had a pretty similar experience to that of Jordan. I've posted it before as well in other threads. Yes, some transparency is provided here by Jordan and the other pros (me) who decide to post.

There was at least one positive last year, and a subsequent ban. It didn't get too much attention here or anywhere. It was a Canadian athlete, and it was an in competition 'random' because the athlete was not on any OOC lists. Apparently the athlete had been trying to get some TUEs sorted or at least was asking questions about some 'hormone therapy' medicine and he was randomly tested after a 7th place finish last year. Clearly the athlete shouldn't have raced. That one falls under the drug tests are IQ tests idea.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know really. I think it could be. And should be. But I will say it's not really a regular topic of discussion, either at races or via email or via any social media (like twitter/FB/closed-FB groups like the USAT Pro group on FB). Certainly, I will say it's not something that I talk about a lot with other pros. There are a few - like Matt Lieto and Jesse Thomas, who I'm quite good friends with - where we talk about it at least semi-regularly.

Of course, I'd say that there's not really much discussion among pros of ANY issues that matter - prize money, drafting rules, men's/women's starts, etc, etc. Pro triathletes - in my experience - are reasonably difficult to organize into an organized discussion about ANYTHING at all. So I'd say that the lack of discussion of doping and drug testing just sort of follows from that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you update while driving if you are actually stuck in traffic.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd just pull over to the side of the road if I was driving solo. The ADAMS interface works pretty well on my phone. If I was stuck in traffic, and it was an area of no cell coverage? I dunno. I suppose you'd be SOL. That's why you get 3 missed tests in an 18 month period. Though there is discretion in the case of a missed test, and if it was truly demonstrable that you were stuck in traffic in an area without cell coverage, you MIGHT get a pass.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
FWIW, the best answer I can think of to try and prove I was clean in the case of an adverse finding or some other set of charges would be financial transparency. I think this is easier to do effectively with triathlon (because there are really no - or almost no - teams or similar where you'd have to worry about team finances), but overall, I think forensic accounting is one of the best ways to either show doping or - if you really are innocent - to show that you didn't dope. Drugs cost money. That's part of why I think if you are a clean athlete, you'd do well to avoid ANY sort of fraternization with a doctor who has a checkered past. I think there was some interesting stuff that came out at the TdF this year with SKY's stated goals - and what they actually did. I think that you'd be pretty hard pressed if you looked at my finances to show "that's suspicious!" And I think that's what I'd really rely on.

My own $0.02 is that when you start "consulting" with a doctor, that's a bit sketchy in the first place. Better make sure that doctor is 10x more squeaky clean than you are if you have a legit need to talk to a doctor.

I think that USADA ought to have a really good forensic accounting team (if they don't already). Perhaps it's my father's background, but I think if you follow the money, you almost always end up at the truth.

I re-read my post and I didnt want you to think I was saying your lack of testing was an indictment on you. You cant make them test you.

I agree financials are one good way to look that down.

I think the doctor thing is key. My understanding is Hope Solo got her prescription that caused her positive from her long time personal doctor and thats part of what helps the case for a warning regarding drugs on the specified list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of all the athletes I follow, there are few that I'm sincerely interested in their thoughts. On many occasions I'd like to know what they were thinking when the hit that shot, or how they pulled off that move when "it" happened. You are one of the few where I find interest in not only what you say, or your life experiences, or the transparency with which you go into your post-race recap, but in almost everything you write. Many times it can be simply by how you write it in addition to the topic.

When the time is right, you should pump out a book. There are a number of topics that you could easily fill chapter after chapter with. I know the triathlete nation is small compared to football fans or golfers, but I think you would have much to offer across a number of subjects could become quite a contribution. The appeal could be more broad then you initially imagine.

Just sayin'

ADW

Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
Per my other post. The Mrs. has had a pretty similar experience to that of Jordan. I've posted it before as well in other threads. Yes, some transparency is provided here by Jordan and the other pros (me) who decide to post.

There was at least one positive last year, and a subsequent ban. It didn't get too much attention here or anywhere. It was a Canadian athlete, and it was an in competition 'random' because the athlete was not on any OOC lists. Apparently the athlete had been trying to get some TUEs sorted or at least was asking questions about some 'hormone therapy' medicine and he was randomly tested after a 7th place finish last year. Clearly the athlete shouldn't have raced. That one falls under the drug tests are IQ tests idea.

Yeah I read about that athlete, he clearly was an idiot, and knew better than to be racing on that stuff without getting the TUE cleared. I have trouble having respect for people popped accidentally who knew they were taking a banned substance, but were doing it for the right reasons (health, not cheating). Usually, theyre just lying, but I believe this guy because he had a paper trail of trying to get the TUE, but he was just stupid in puting his race schedule ahead of what was right. I do think in some cases they make getting a TUE too hard, but in many cases theyre right to.

And I know I appreciate the transparency from you, and Rapp, and the others who do it. But I'd appreciate testing a whole lot more, because while I find you two believable and likeable.... I believed in lance until 2 years ago, and we see how that turned out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One question, for anyone who reads a lot of Ashenden's stuff - or who just has expertise in the matter - how often is it generally understood that one needs to be tested in order to develop a robust blood passport? Or do I not understand the blood passport correctly by assuming that the idea is to develop a "normal" profile through regular testing in order to then demonstrate that subsequent tests are - or are not - normal? That would help me to understand how often I should feel I should be tested. Thanks in advance.

Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I turned pro about 14 months ago. Since then, I've raced:
-TriStar Minnesota
-Soma Triathlon
-Rev3 Cedar Point
-IM Arizona
-Leadman 125
-Rev3 Quassy
-IM Lake Placid

I've never been tested, and I've never seen testers. It's entirely possible that there was testing at some of those races, I'm just saying that I didn't see it, and that USADA didn't have any sort of visible presence at those races.

Now, I'm firmly in the middle of the pro pack at IM races (still pretty far behind the winners, ha!), but I've won money at several events, and I'm always a bit surprised/disappointed when I'm not required to submit a urine/blood sample before accepting a check. It seems as if testing should be compulsory any time money is on the line.

I don't think that anyone I've lost to has been a doper, but it sure would be nice to have drug testing regularly present, at least to act as a deterrent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think it would be around the range of a half a dozen times per year. Ross Tucker does a great job of explaining the science behind the blood passport system, have a read here: http://www.sportsscientists.com/...egal-scientific.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BC in mountains... hell Field just got a towee.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Anti-Doping / OOC Testing in Triathlon [macleandougj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious do you have to maintain your whereabouts with WADA?
Quote Reply

Prev Next