Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another transition thread
Quote | Reply
Given complete freedom, where would you rack your bike; near the bike exit, swim entrance, middle ground? Explain.

Assume fair entrances/exits - opposite sides of transition.

I tend to like near the swim entrance. Generally my heart is racing and I want have the earliest opportunity for it to slow down, so the sooner I can stop running after the swim, the better off I am. I leave my bike shoes on the pedals, so running with my bike to the exit is not really hindered; certainly faster than my legs bound up in a wetsuit and my heart about to be puked up. I'm not concerned about where my spot is for T2 (unless the transition layout is unfair with regards to entrances and exits, in which case, I'd rethink my rack position anyway); I'm running as fast with my bike, barefoot, as my first few hundred yards of the real run.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Mar 27, 07 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: Another transition thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It all depends on how the course is laid out, if you can ride in transistion, if you can cut through racks, etc.

So, assuming it is a no ride transistion, and I can cut the racks, I try to get near the bike in. But, depending on where the run out is,..

Each race is different and I have to scope out what works best for me. I am always early so I get pretty good choices usually.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Another transition thread [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't been to a race where you could ride in transition. However, gotcha covered on the entrance/exit placement - assume fair ones ie: opposite sides of transition.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a glass half full/empty situation. Middle is just about right. You're gonna run through transition the same amount regardless if the bike is in your hand or not. But as I stated in an earlier thread, most race directors are gonna have your spot already assigned for you anyway...

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't been to a race where you could ride in transition

You should try watching the celebrities at malibu then...absolute chaos :)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the race...some transition areas do offer advantages to locations, but most often they even out in terms of how far you have to either run from the swim, run with your bike or just plain run from T2 out to the course.

Most often for me it comes down to how easily can I find my stuff---end of a rack for sure, and then in some easily identifiable fashion from that point. Walk through the swim exit, bike exit and reentry---those seem to be the most common issues with people not finding their way in or out of transition in a timely manner. Off the bike and onto the run it's not usually too hard to find one's way on to the course.

Usually.
Quote Reply
Re: Another transition thread [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike, this is why I have my flower at my bike. I can alway find that way.

I have seen some races where T was equal for all. I have been in other races where it was not.

Now, I do tend to get lost getting out of T2 more times than I want to admit. :o(

Small, newer races have had bike in transistion. But most now are under USAT or experienced enough
to not allow riding anymore. Much safer!!!

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Another transition thread [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is why I have my flower at my bike. I can alway find that way

Stuff like that works most of the time, but every now and again some d***head does away with whatever identifying marker one might have left in your area, and if you haven't committed your spot to memory it can take a while~~~

And believe me, I've started off the wrong direction more than a few times out of T2!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, the easiest way through the transition is with running shoes on, so, assuming fair transitions, in theory I would put my bike farthest from the run start. In practice I show up relatively late and just take what I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me I like to be as close to the bike exit/entrance as possible. I feel like I am faster running without my bike than with(shoes clipped in). I don't have any problem running with the bike just seems faster without it. Therefore, I am willing to run farther to the run exit thinking it will save me some time.

Aloha,
Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
close to the bike exit to minimize the distance i have to run in bike shoes.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of our local races use a common bike in bike out, which means I'm typically on the end of the rack as close to that point as possible (shoes in pedals already) because I'm much faster running without my bike then with my bike. Otherwise I look at how far the run is to the mount line, versus how long the run through transition is.

Adam

Euro-Sports.ca/The Foodery Team member
Quote Reply