Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another new bike thread - max budget of 6k USD, what would you get
Quote | Reply
Ok, let's have some fun and get some opinions rolling. Let's say you have decided to get a "new" tri bike (new to you, not necessarily brand new from a LBS or D2C manufacturer). It's April 2023, and your absolute max budget is 6k USD. That doesn't mean you MUST to spend that much, and less is perhaps better so you get less condemnation from your wife/husband/partner and can afford to register for a couple extra races in the years to come....you're just not a dentist and can't swing a 10k superbike. new complete bike, used complete bike (eBay, these forums, pinkbike, etc), TPC, custom build up from a new or used frameset, hybrid approach of any of these options, anything in play (except upgrading an existing bike you own, that is not an option!). you enjoy the idea of using the latest and greatest tech and want a cool new bike to enjoy life and go as fast as you reasonably can in training and racing for the next 5+ years. You know your pad XY so you can use that information in your purchase decision...

Go.
Quote Reply
Re: Another new bike thread - max budget of 6k USD, what would you get [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pre 2013 Cervelo P3
Tririg front end and brakes
Primer disc
HED front wheel
Power meter
Bike fit
Wind tunnel time

I think that about does the $6000
Quote Reply
Re: Another new bike thread - max budget of 6k USD, what would you get [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm gonna second a used rim brake bike unless you have more info...what is your bike situation now? How many you got? How many decent wheelesets?
Disc or rim brake?

I'd say get a trek speed concept and Hed Jet wheels for 4k and then a nice aero helmet and trisuit. Then a good fit... actually, fit first.
If you want a disc brake bike maybe look at quitana roo bikes for the budget build.
Quote Reply
Re: Another new bike thread - max budget of 6k USD, what would you get [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly what MrTRI123 said
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO - Used P5-6 is the only right answer here. A few appear available on ebay. How tall are you?

Any aero wheelset will do, just cover the back with a disc cover from wheelbuilder. High end vs low end aero wheels are probably among the worst spend on a speed per dollar basis. Make sure you don’t forget to go with latex or other fast/light tubes. This setup is within rounding of today’s super bikes.

With the remaining cash, which is at least a grand if not two - aero helmet, professional fit and then something nice for your significant other if you have one. All my opinion of course. But I can guarantee you this is a killer setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Another new bike thread - max budget of 6k USD, what would you get [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Pre 2013 Cervelo P3
Primer disc
HED front wheel
Power meter
Bike fit
Wind tunnel time

I did roughy this in Sep 2022, and came home under $3000 CDN, but already had a front race wheel. No wind tunnel time, no powermeter though. I had a $25K budget, but did not think it was worth it given how bad my run is (the extra $17000 evaporate in me going backwards in the field after T2 only 2km into the run). The other $22K I used to buy a second hand electric car :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New: Quinitana Roo X-PR, front hydration, HED Vanquish wheels, 105 Di2 12 speed. Gets you out the door right now under budget.

Used: If I could get a P-series disc for around $3K, then upgrade wheels / powermeter, that'd be it.

We're fully pot committed to one standard in the house, so it's all disc brakes, all the time around here now.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get an entry level Tri bike for $1,500 and spend the rest on a plane ticket to a destination race.
Quote Reply
Re: Another new bike thread - max budget of 6k USD, what would you get [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the the case for the XPR over the speedmax CF 7 etap?

In that spec you described, the XPR is about 5700 so price equal between the two. 105 di2 sounds nice but that groupset does not seem to be made with a thought to tri bikes, so presumably it's going to be fully wired and per the spec sheet, it has mechanical discs. Gearing also a little less racy on the new 105 with 50/34 and 11-34. Conti ultra sport tires.

Canyon has what I feel is a groupset which is a better blend with a tri bike with the rival 2x axs (with power meter) using the vukashift bars and hydraulic disc brakes. GP5000 tires.

Perhaps it's simply the ability to get one? The canyon spec is undeniably better. Canyon shows sold out of this bike now but it was available in a few sizes over past few months so I don't think it's impossible to get your hands on if one can wait for more stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.) Brand loyalty. Almost all of my best triathlon races have been on a QR -- from the CD0.1 to present day.

2.) Availability.

3.) I prefer Shimano electronic over SRAM electronic. If this were mechanical shifting, my allegiance would be the other way around.

4.) I can confidently wrench mechanical disc at home. I can't say the same for hydraulic.

5.) I have plenty of tires I can swap around. (You can also ask QR for this if you purchase your bike as Fit Ready. They put Schwalbe Pro One's on my PR5 disc that I ordered through them.)

6.) I can have it in whatever color I want. Which admittedly is a pretty vain reason to purchase a bike. But it's one of them.

Quote Reply
Re: Another new bike thread - max budget of 6k USD, what would you get [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
1.) Brand loyalty. Almost all of my best triathlon races have been on a QR -- from the CD0.1 to present day.

2.) Availability.

3.) I prefer Shimano electronic over SRAM electronic. If this were mechanical shifting, my allegiance would be the other way around.

4.) I can confidently wrench mechanical disc at home. I can't say the same for hydraulic.

5.) I have plenty of tires I can swap around. (You can also ask QR for this if you purchase your bike as Fit Ready. They put Schwalbe Pro One's on my PR5 disc that I ordered through them.)

6.) I can have it in whatever color I want. Which admittedly is a pretty vain reason to purchase a bike. But it's one of them.

1 is an incredibly legit reason and could easily be the only reason one needs, obv this depends on the person. Same with 2 of course. With that said.

I get if you prefer dura ace DI2 to sram red axs on a road bike...but what about shimano electronic shifting makes you say this, specifically with these two bikes in mind? 105 di2 is not catered to tri bikes at all so besides the 12th gear you're running an "old" type of system (as I understand it the system has to be fully wired like it's 11 speed di2 predecessors) and it has uninspiring gearing, whereas the canyon has the very fancy vukashift extensions to integrate the system, and has a power meter to boot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call 50/34 and 11/34 uninspired. It's honestly not a bad set up for where I live.

As for the Shimano versus SRAM electronic debate -- it's familiarity. I know how the system works, how it breaks, how to fix it, and how to make sure I keep a battery fully charged. The SRAM electronic groups are great -- I loved the one on the Ventum I reviewed last year -- but I also don't know what gremlins might pop up well enough.

But again, if it were mechanical, I'd buy SRAM Force all day every day for a tri bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Pre 2013 Cervelo P3
Primer disc
HED front wheel
Power meter
Bike fit
Wind tunnel time

Ha, ha, this is very close to what I have done over the last few years. A while back I started a similar thread because I was debating a new bike vs. upgrading the P2 that I bought in 2017. I decided to upgrade so now I have a Tririg cockpit and brakes, HED Jet 6 wheel set & HED disc, Assioma Favero pedals. I’ve had two bike fits. The only thing left is the wind tunnel. I don’t think there are any in the immediate Chicago area or I would have done it by now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, interesting. Thanks for explaining!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Pre 2013 Cervelo P3
Primer disc
HED front wheel
Power meter
Bike fit
Wind tunnel time

You sure meant an NP3?
I'd also add a nice cockpit. It can really make your racing experience tons easier.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Another new bike thread - max budget of 6k USD, what would you get [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
I would get an entry level Tri bike for $1,500 and spend the rest on a plane ticket to a destination race.

This is the correct answer!!! I was just a bit off !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the exact same budget and decided to go with the Canyon Speedmax CF 7 eTap - a few upgrades here and there but out of the box, it is maybe the best new bike values you can find. I have had nothing but positive experiences with their customer service and with the bike itself. The bike would still be a solid value even without the power meter, but having that has made training even more rewarding. Their availability is MUCH better than what it was previously, just do not rely on the "notify me" button on their website (nor the dates from what I have been able to tell as well).
Last edited by: rookiefro: Apr 30, 23 10:00
Quote Reply