Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another Tire Thread - I am overwhelmed with info, please help me decide
Quote | Reply

After endless discussion on the topic, I really don't know what tires to buy, or even what size. There are so many threads and opinions on the matter. I would love your recommendations here based on the following assuming it is important:

I have Bontrager Aeolus 5 wheels and will run a disc cover on the back. I will run latex tubes. My goal race is IM Wisconsin.

What do you recommend for clinchers? My go to would be Conti 4000Sii in 25s. Should I consider something different? I would love input from the tire experts here!

Quote Reply
Re: Another Tire Thread - I am overwhelmed with info, please help me decide [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be surprised if the tire experts recommend the same clinchers as your "go to" tires like they have in the other tire threads.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Tire Thread - I am overwhelmed with info, please help me decide [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your suggested tires are fine as race tires.

If you want to be a little bit faster, consider the Attack/Force front and rear. Possibly slightly more aero, definitely slightly better rolling resistance. Possible slight hit on puncture resistance and comfort (assuming you run the 25s at slightly lower tire pressure).

If you want the fastest possible, the current answer is probably the Corsa Speed as the rear tire. Maybe also the front tire. Clear winner in rolling resistance. Aerodynamics unknown.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 11, 17 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: Another Tire Thread - I am overwhelmed with info, please help me decide [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the tire experts recommend the same clinchers as your "go to" tires like they have in the other tire threads.

Surely this info must change on a daily basis.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Tire Thread - I am overwhelmed with info, please help me decide [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
If you want the fastest possible, the current answer is probably the Corsa Speed as the rear tire. Maybe also the front tire. Clear winner in rolling resistance. Aerodynamics unknown.

Interesting, perhaps Ill consider the corsa for the back... What about going down to a 23 in the front as opposed to a 25? Does anyone have any thoughts there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 23mm tire is going to measure much wider than 23mm on the Aeolus TLR rims with their wide 19.5mm internal width.

I run 23mm Schwalbe Pro One tires on Aeolus TLR wheels (3, 5 and 7) and they measure out at approx. 26.8mm wide at 80 psi. With the 27mm width of the Aeolus TLR wheels, that means that even 23mm tires violate the Rule of 105% when mounted on these wide rims. But the Pro Ones do run wide for their stated size. I don't recall the exact measurements, but know the Corsa Speeds at 23mm are a bit narrower and the 23mm Maxxis Padrones narrower still.

For aerodynamics, I would not go with a tire over 23mm on the Aeolus TLR rims.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Conti's are great tires so you are looking at marginal gains if you normally race them with latex tubes. If you want to try and grab a bit more speed (but probably not that much more), you could spring for the Specialized Turbo Cottons. I would run a 700X24c for the front and the 700X26c for the rear. I have these on my road bike (both 26c though) and have really enjoyed them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go with conti TT 23mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My go to would be Conti 4000Sii in 25s. Should I consider something different?

Your instinct/gut are right. You are not missing out on much with these tires. Are their faster tires - yes, but only slightly and as you get a bit faster from here, durability starts to drop off.

The one tire that may be the replacement for the venerable Conti 4000SII is the new Michelin Power Competition.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:

After endless discussion on the topic, I really don't know what tires to buy, or even what size. There are so many threads and opinions on the matter. I would love your recommendations here based on the following assuming it is important:

I have Bontrager Aeolus 5 wheels and will run a disc cover on the back. I will run latex tubes. My goal race is IM Wisconsin.

What do you recommend for clinchers? My go to would be Conti 4000Sii in 25s. Should I consider something different? I would love input from the tire experts here!

The new Michelin Power Competition look interesting but I haven't found a detailed comparison to the Conti's.....just to the Michelin former model it replaces. In terms of overall performance, the Conti 4000sii are hard to beat. I just restocked....best price seems to be Planet Cyclery....$63.90 for the pair and free shipping.
Quote Reply