Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another IMAZ Report
Quote | Reply
Great Race. Great Volunteers. Fantastic race (I didn't think this while I was completing it). Post from others are inspirational and really put the day and each persons struggles in perspective.

This was my first IM race. I completed a 1/2 last year and thought if I did ok I'd sign up for an IM. I did ok, IMAZ was still open, I signed up.

Pre-race: I had no idea what to expect. I only knew two other people doing the race. I had to ask what I was supposed to do with my wetsuit when I finished the swim. Thank God I asked, otherwise I probably would have never got home with it. Stayed in Scottsdale, a beautiful town. Had my wife drop me off by Tribike Transport at 5:10am. Checked on my bike, put bottles on bike and nutrition in swim to bike bag. Added a Payday candybar to reward myself on the bike. Went to port-a-johns about 10 times from nervousness.

Swim: I only seriously started swimming in June of last year. I've gone to Masters and improved my swim quite a bit, but I'm still only an average swimmer during Masters. I did my 1/2 in a little over 40 minutes, but I thought I could improve on that by a good amount. I started on the outside near the front hoping to avoid getting beat up too much and getting in a quick draft. Only experience a few bumps, but could never see the bouys to know where I was going. Sighted off the swimmer next to me who seemed to have better goggles and just kept swimming toward the Rural Rd Bridge. I also kept an eye on the outside edge to try and maintain the same distance or gradually drift in toward the buoys. Reached the turn around and felt great. I had no idea how fast/slow I was going and didn't bother to look at my watch. The swim back was more of the same. Steady rhythm, swim hard, but not too hard. Keep the buoys in sight. The buoys seemed to take me further to my right so I thought I must be drifting left. Decided to sight a little more on the way back. Finally passed under the Mill Ave bridge and knew I was home free. Came out of the water at 1:07, faster than I had anticipated.

Bike: I had checked my tires when I arrived at transition. They were fine from the night before. I decided to go ahead and have more air added, even though they felt fine, just so I'd be sure to ride on fully inflated tires. This may have been a mistake. I mounted my bike and as I went to round the first corner out of the parking lot, nearly crashed, front tire flat. As people streamed past on their bikes, I ripped off the front tire and began changing it. (Later I thought, "Probably should have just re-inflated it"). Two kind volunteers held my bike for me and gave me assistance/encouragement. (Thanks guys, it calmed me a bit). It took both C02's to inflate my tire so mentally I was very concerned about another flat. I had a tube, but no way to air it up if something happened. As I hopped on the bike, tire fixed, I thought the only thing I can control today is my attitude. Put a smile on and move forward. I began to ride and pass people, many of which were probably a good 7-10 minutes behind me when I came out of the water. Can't worry about that now, just ride your race, I thought. The first lap was so fast I can hardly remember it. I just recall reaching the turn around and seeing "too fast" on the cyclometer as I descended the first slight decline. I'm probably riding too hard I thought. Tried to back off, didn't. I kept taking gatorade and eating the energy bars and gels I brought. Made the final lap and still felt pretty good. I had completed the bike without another flat. (I add to the earlier post, there are no atheist on the IM run - nor are there if you've had a flat and have no C02 left). Total bike time 5:20. The day was shaping up as I had hoped.

Run: Left out on the run and from my photo I still looked fairly good. I didn't feel too bad and ran 8:40 for the first mile. I thought, this is a little slower than what I've done in training, but maybe I just went a little hard to make up time for the flat. Finished up mile 2 in nearly the same time, then something went wrong. I stopped to walk and both legs cramped at the same time. This walking stinks, I thought. Tried to get back to running and the legs were gone. I don't want to have to walk the rest of this race. Decided I could only control my attitude. Tried to run from stop to stop, couldn't quite manage, could run about 400 yard and calves would begin to cramp. Apparently I'm dehydrated or did something wrong nutritionally. Thought about all the folks who are were in the same boat I was in, thought about the people not fortunate enough to even have the strength to walk, much less run, decided I could have a good attitude even if I hurt and wanted to quit. As I finished my first loop, I had walked way too much, but I knew my wife and daughter would be waiting to cheer for me. I ran across the Mill bridge with a renewed desire to finish the run. The were waiting under the bridge and it gave me a great emotional lift. It only lasted to the first water stop and I began to cramp in my hips and quads. As I approached the first stop I saw AJ Johnson taking a short walk. I thought, here is a pro and he is taking a walk break. I now longer feel bad about walking. I shouted "AJ be strong you can do it." He passed me about 3 minutes later running full speed. (He was on his 3rd loop as I was beginning my 2nd). It was encouraging to see him step it up, so I decided to try running some more. All in all the run was brutal and painful. But I kept a smile on my face, said thank you to every volunteer I could and tried to dance to the music when I cam up to the Mill Ave bridge. It was by far my slowest marathon (none of the previous 3 followed 112 on the bike). But looking back on it, the 4:46 may be the most satisfying, because at the end I heard those words I longed to hear..."You are an Ironman."

Post race: Legs completely locked up coming down the chute. Nearly fell down. Had to be carried to exit. In pain for about 3 days. When can I sign up for my next? Apparently I'm insane.

Congrats to all those who had the courage to take on the challenge 4/9/06!
Quote Reply
Re: Another IMAZ Report [KysonJinTEXZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw you out of T1, black Kestrel, right?

Glad you went on to have a good race! Congrats on being an Ironman! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GOOD ATTITUDE is soooo important. Glad you finished -- sorry you were in so much pain though. It's the experience and knowing you persevered! YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!
Quote Reply
Re: Another IMAZ Report [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Black QR Lucero. I was standing at the end of the parking lot, right before you head out onto the street. It sure seemed like a lot of people passed me. What a great experience though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I worked one the first water aid station. It was so nice to hear the Thank Yous from the atheletes. You did a great job..YOU ARE AN IRONMAN! I hope to be one next year at IMAZ:)

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein
Quote Reply