Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another Cyclist Killed by Inattentive Driver
Quote | Reply
But hey, the driver received a bunch of traffic citations for it...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2014/07/30/judge-says-driver-didnt-look-when-she-fatally-struck-cyclist/?wpsrc=AG0003326

Illegal aliens have more standing in our justice system than cyclists these days.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Another Cyclist Killed by Inattentive Driver [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
...he dismissed a charge of... and unsafe passing.

How is running someone over NOT unsafe passing?
Quote Reply
Re: Another Cyclist Killed by Inattentive Driver [bigeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
technically he didn't pass him?
Quote Reply
Re: Another Cyclist Killed by Inattentive Driver [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Imagine if she was a police officer and hit like this. Would the police officers be okay with just simple fine?

Quote | Reply
Where I live a cyclist life is apparently only worth a 1/10 of that ($200) despite a driver having 29 citations (2 being a DUI). How is it that if you hit and kill someone while they're driving a car you get vehicular manslaughter but if they're on a bike....NOTHING?

http://www.news4jax.com/...d-bicyclist/27230176
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I was almost killed by a child molester van (white domestic square van with windows painted over) yesterday on my way to swim practice. Douche swerved in front of me left to right on a steep hill, to make his right turn, at full speed. He was less than a foot off my front wheel. He would have gotten a traffic ticket too - was what flashed through my mind. Right behind me was a busy intersection, which I avoided, because a cyclist was killed there last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
A defense witness, Richard Garden, a Severna Park oral surgeon, said he was driving behind Decesaris and did not see the cyclist.
“I really didn’t see the van do anything at impact,” Garden said. “I saw it jerk to the left, but not much.”
Garden said he drives that portion of Riva Road daily, and was talking with his wife by cellphone when the collision occurred. He said the combination of shade with bright sunlight shining through the trees was “almost like being in a room with a strobe light.” He said it was not uncommon to see cyclists on that portion of road.

Hmm, the fellow on his phone didn't see the cyclist...

On the other hand:
Quote:
Neil Tatterson testified that he was driving behind Decesaris, that he saw Cunningham ahead of them both and that he did not see Decesaris’s brake lights come on before she struck the cyclist. He said Decesaris did not swerve until she hit the bike.

Maybe we should have a don't talk on your phone and drive campaign.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Cyclist Killed by Inattentive Driver [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
corneliused wrote:
Quote:
A defense witness, Richard Garden, a Severna Park oral surgeon, said he was driving behind Decesaris and did not see the cyclist.
“I really didn’t see the van do anything at impact,” Garden said. “I saw it jerk to the left, but not much.”
Garden said he drives that portion of Riva Road daily, and was talking with his wife by cellphone when the collision occurred. He said the combination of shade with bright sunlight shining through the trees was “almost like being in a room with a strobe light.” He said it was not uncommon to see cyclists on that portion of road.

Hmm, the fellow on his phone didn't see the cyclist...

On the other hand:
Quote:
Neil Tatterson testified that he was driving behind Decesaris, that he saw Cunningham ahead of them both and that he did not see Decesaris’s brake lights come on before she struck the cyclist. He said Decesaris did not swerve until she hit the bike.

Maybe we should have a don't talk on your phone and drive campaign.

Exactly!

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Another Cyclist Killed by Inattentive Driver [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What's extraordinarily disappointing is this frequent claim by motorists of, "Not seeing the ___________" - fill in the blank to whatever they hit!

It's routinely accepted as an excuse, right up to when others ( cyclists, pedestrians, other motorists) are killed. In my view, someone has been grossly negligent, but walks away, with no responsibility what so ever!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply