Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Another Classy Pro at IM AZ
Quote | Reply
Hey folks,

My wife and I were volunteers at IM AZ on Sunday (just after the mile 4 aid station – “Lookin’ good runners! Watch out for this curb…”). We were there from 4:30pm until they shut the station down just after 11pm. Around 9pm or so, I noticed an athlete standing on the side of the road near the aid station, about 50 feet from us. He had no shirt on and was just cheering people on – he looked like a runner who had dropped out, but was trying to keep other people motivated. I walked up closer and noticed his number was #32, which meant he was a pro. My wife mentioned she saw him run up to the aid station and stop, so we both assumed he had DNF’d there and was hanging out for a ride.

A while later, someone running by asked how he did, and he mentioned he came in 6th place. I looked him up when we got back and his name is Stijn Demeulemeester from Belgium. Personally, I know nothing about him (a few posts on ST mentioned he was a top AG athlete in Kona the last two years), but I want to mention that I think he’s a class act. After getting 6th, he came to the back side of the course (where you turned off for that loop into the park) and cheered for hours – he was there until we packed up at 11. And he wasn’t just cheering (“Good job! Keep it up!”). He seemed to actually be conversing with everyone. He’d walk a few feet with them while talking – I could see athletes laughing and smiling. He must have been wasted from his 8:39 race, but there he was, on his feet, pumping people up.

I have no idea why he was out there on the backside of the course, but even if he had to be there to get a ride home with someone, he really impressed me with the effort he put into keeping the athletes motivated. I’ll definitely be cheering for him when I see him at future races. If any of you talked to him, I’d be curious to hear what he said to you – people seemed to find it a lot funnier than my curb warning, and I could use some new material for the next race…

Noah
Quote Reply
Re: Another Classy Pro at IM AZ [Noah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is very cool.

Dan
póg mo thóin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a great story. I believe it was his first pro race and is the training partner of Rutger Beke. He has been tearing it up as an age grouper for awhile and has a tremendous day as a professional!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is one of the great things about this sport. There are many top pros that I have seen do this type of thing in the past.

By the way. Thank you for being out there and volunteering! The volunteers did a great job and truly make the race possible for us! THANKS!!!!!!

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a new favourite pro. Class act. Anyone know any of his sponsors? I would be willing to bet they would like to hear about this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Noah,

Thanks for sharing that story. That is very, very cool.

What a great sport!

mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if it has been mentioned on ST at all, but austin79 and I stayed until midnight. The last hour or so Michael Lovato was out there and he was putting the medals on the people that crossed the line. He was also pumping up the crowd as well. Both of us were impressed.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Another Classy Pro at IM AZ [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know how you guys can do that. At last year's IMFL, I went back to my room to shower, get something to eat and lie down for a bit with the full intention of getting back out there to cheer the final racers in. I woke up to the countdwn to midnight. I'm impressed with you guys.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Classy Pro at IM AZ [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first IM was CDA in '03. As I was on the run course I saw this long-haired guy riding around cheering people on and wondered to myself who this guy was. It was Michael Lovato. After winning the race he jumped on his bike and pushed the mortal AGr's through the run. A great reflection of himself as a pro and as a person.

Stijn was tearing up the bike course. He went flying by me as the leader when I was heading back on my second loop. As I recall he was ahead of several including Spencer Smith. I saw Spencer's bike posted on ST some time ago, but it was really cool to see it go flying by with him on the pedals.

----------------------------------------------------

Formally azclydesdale, back in Northeast Ohio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noah thanks for sharing this story. What a great guy.

I would like to thank you and all the volunteers for all your support throughout the day. This was my 6th IM and I have never seen such enthusiasm at EVERY single aid station. Everyone at the aid stations were anxious to help and were yelling words of encouragement, they really seemed to be enjoying themselves. I had been in a bike accident the weekend before the race and really struggled to finish this marathon due to an injury from the crash, this was the hardest IM marathon I had ever experienced. I couldn't have finished without all the support I got from all of the volunteers, you guys were awesome!!!

THANK YOU!!

Jill

Jill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We saw him on the nortth side of the lake around 11 cheering althletes still...

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
Last edited by: Alan Romania: Apr 11, 06 8:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We sat with Stijn at the awards banquet, and he was pretty quiet but very happy because he earned the fifth pro spot to Kona. Good for him.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Another Classy Pro at IM AZ [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shawn,

Since you sat with him, can you tell me how to pronounce his name? Do you know if it is <STIN> or <STEEN> or something else? My Belgian pronunciations aren't up to par...

Sorry about your nutrition issues at AZ. You definitely weren't alone on that one -- it was a tough day out there. I raced it last year in the wind, but I'd take that over the heat any day...

Thanks,

Noah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love to hear stories like this. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

However, part of me does pipe up and say - Well, what were you thinking? What were your expectations before this great situation? I have met many top professional triathletes over the years and generally speaking they are all really nice people.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 11, 06 13:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noah, thanks for sharing that. Always good to hear about the "good guys" regardless of the activity.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Classy Pro at IM AZ [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck,

I don't know a lot of pros, but the few I've (briefly) met did seem like really nice people. And I know some of them hang out after their race and cheer people in, which is great to see. I'm way slower than these guys, but after an IM I'm usually dead to world and wake up hours later in a pile of Taco Bell wrappers...

The reason I wanted to mention this story is that it's a pro I hadn't seen before, and that I don't think a lot of other people are familiar with. Also, he was miles from the finish area, 7 hours after he finished, wearing just the shorts he ran in and his race number. He looked like he hadn't even sat down yet, and he was really working to make an impact with the athletes. It was way beyond just being a nice person, which is what got me out of my lurking hole to post about it...

Noah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A student at the massage school where I teach anatomy told me she had worked on Sergio and some of the other pro's after their events. She was amazed to find out that they did this for a living and also commented on what humble down to earth guys they were.

We sometimes send students to internship to work on pro athletes in other sports and from what I here not all of them have that humble attitude.

KR
Quote Reply
Re: Another Classy Pro at IM AZ [azclydesdale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My first IM was CDA in '03. As I was on the run course I saw this long-haired guy riding around cheering people on and wondered to myself who this guy was. It was Michael Lovato. After winning the race he jumped on his bike and pushed the mortal AGr's through the run. A great reflection of himself as a pro and as a person.

Michael Lovato passed me on the bike at CdA last year and cheered for me by name too (from my race#). He's a great guy, as most triathlon pros seem to be. That's one of the things that I love about this sport.

(gotta throw in a plug for my own pro/coach - he's definitely one of the nicest guys ever and was back out there after his own race until his last athlete crossed the line just after 16 hours.)
Last edited by: cray: Apr 11, 06 15:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stijn sat at our table and the first thing I asked him was how to pronounce his name :-) It's is closer to "Steen".

He's a good guy and was very happy to get the slot to Hawaii, after the race he asked Sergio if he had got it and at the time we thought there were only 4 slots to Hawaii and Sergio got the last one.

I would add that most pros in this sport are great people, even those that I dislike friends of mine tell me they're great, so I'll take their opinion over mine. Michael Lovato is really up there, just a great guy.

And I know more pros and coaches that went back to the course to cheer on their friends and athletes ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Another Classy Pro at IM AZ [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like hyponaetremia to me !

Jokes aside , that is really fantastic to hear ! In a nutshell we really are all in the same boat , just trying to complete 3 sports as fast as we can. I've got numerous Danish friends and have been to Denmark twice , great people , in my opinion.

This past December I supported my wife whilst she completed her first half-marathon , it was the first race of any sort I have watched in about 15 years and I really enjoyed trying to give back.

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: Another Classy Pro at IM AZ [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have met my fair share of pros (both before and after races) but one meeting really sticks with me. A friend and I had just done an event in Milton ON (back in 1989) and wanted to get Carol Montgomery to autograph his race shirt. He commented on seeing her in the ad as part of the Pioneer triathlon team (she was wearing a team shirt at the time and he joked about wanting one)...another woman pro at the table told us to sit down with them and talk about triathlons. We sat for a good half hour talk to three of the top five finishers at that race and didn't really know until afterward. The one who told us to have a seat was Karen Smyers and I don't know if I've ever met another pro so genuinely interested in what we had to say as she was that day. The awards were just about to start when Carol took off her team shirt (still wearing race gear underneath..down guys) signed it..and had every other pro on the team that was there that day sign it as well..figure he had about 12 signatures in all when it was handed to him with a hug. I don't think all pros are that awesome..but the ones we met that day sure made an impact.
Hats off to Karen, Carol, Sue Schlatter, Mike Pigg, Greg Welch, Scott Tinley, Andrew MacNaughton and the rest that were there that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool story. If only all those people knew that a top pro came back out to cheer for them. I went back out and cheered and really enjoyed watching those people finish, it really is one of the great spectacles in sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Noah,

It's me Stijn (Stain)... I don't think it's exceptional what I did. I know a lot of Pro's are doing that and I think it's fun... We must know that our great sport wouldn't be possible without all these great age-groupers and volunteers.

It was my first race as a Pro, but I still understand the Age-groupers because I still feel like an Age-grouper. Now, I did the race as a pro because I wanted to start with them and see if that would make a difference for me. But, there hasn't change a lot for me the last two years... Like most top AG, I get some support from sponsors, what I'm grateful for their support (without them It would be more difficult to do international races) but I'm not a real pro, I don't earn money with doing triathlon, I'm a schoolteacher and IMAZ took place in the middle of the Belgian Easter holidays... I still have to work every day and use my free time to train. With the cold and rainy winter we had (and still have) that wasn't easy... but it's for every one the same. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not complaining... Most people in Belgium aren't very sportminded and I'm already very thankfull for the support I get. But I still have to pay some money for my bike, bought all my wheels myself... I really would like to be a real pro but that's seems to be very difficult in Belgium (also in ather sports). I think I know what it is to be an AG, even I'm one of the lucky ones... and I know that every encouragement could make a difference in hard times + It's more fun than just sitting in a seat watching tv (I can do that at home)

Why I came to the back of the running course? that's simple... I was staying with the Foster Family from Chandler and they were also responsible for a run-aidstation (Isn't that great)... They wanted to pick me up at the finish line and bring me back to their home but then one of them had to leave the aid-station and I didn't want that... Although I had some regrets for saying that after the race when my legs felt like "smashed potatoes"... I ate some hamburgers, pizza's and drunk a lot of coke... When they opened T2 at 5.30PM, I took my gear and walked, slowly..., back on the runningcourse. Stopped some time, especially to rest (no hurry after the race :-) ) and to pep up the people that were still on the course... When I came to the aidstation, I saw so much enthusiam among the volunteers that I couldn't ask them to bring me home. So I stayed and had some fun by trying to support the people on the course...

Greetings,

Stijn
Quote Reply
Re: Another Classy Pro at IM AZ [Stijn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job out there Stijin, Freakin' fast ride, im glad you got the slot :D

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next