Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another AZ Race Report
Quote | Reply
I don’t know why my husband and I chose to race IM AZ, because being from Minnesota, we knew it would mean training indoors all winter on the bike. If nothing else, we figured it would be a great experiment to see if Computrainer miles are as good as outdoor miles. It also turned out to be a great experiment in finding out what to eat the night before long indoor rides in a closed-off, steamy room. Through trial and much error, we found that kebabs were the “cleanest-burning” fuel. Chipotle or Pizza = bad news! And my husband was the offender.. definitely not me.

The night before the race we had our clean-burning-fuel kebab dinner, I had my good-luck bottle of beer, and we fell asleep by 9. I slept like a baby and got up when the alarm went off at 4:15. We ate breakfast, made coffee, and grabbed all of our crap and headed out the door. The morning flew by. We jumped in the water with about 10 minutes to go, and swam out to near to front of the line. We ran into a big group from MN there, and it was nice to see familiar faces.

Swim

Worst case, 1:10. Best case, 1:05. Actual: 1:11

My husband decided to put baby wash in the goggles to prevent them from fogging. I don’t know if it was that or something else, but my eyes stung like m’f-ers during the swim. I was bummed to see my swim time coming out of the water but didn’t let it faze me too much. What did faze me was my wetsuit not coming off – the zipper jammed!! I had two volunteers working at it for a minute, and they finally got it to open. They were great.

T1

Got my stuff, headed to the transition area where for the first time, a volunteer was standing with my bike! Yay!! I ran past the mount line, tried to get on my bike, and… I don’t know what happened – I crashed hard! It was surreal – I could hear all the spectators react to my crash and subsequent remounting of the bike. It was too funny and I couldn’t stop laughing. Then a guy yelled out at me: go get ‘em, tiger. I have since christened my bike “El Tigre”. It fits – my bike is orange w/black accents and I had white grip tape on it.

My leg now looks like it’s been mangled in a piece of farm equipment. I have three massive bruises and a whole bunch of scratches from that T1 wipeout. I’m just glad I didn’t take anyone else out with me.

I was off to a very rocky start.

Bike

Worst case: 6:00. Best case: 5:40. Actual: 5:26.

Throughout the ride, I felt like I was pushing a solid pace, though I wasn’t sure if it was too hard or not. I felt like I was riding within my ability, so I kept the pace steady. I don’t use a HR monitor or a cycle computer or a watt meter. I go by feel, so I really had no clue of what time I was posting. I think that was good, since I would’ve made myself slow down had I seen my pace. My eyes still stung life m’f-ers.

During the ride, I set my watch to go off every 15 minutes. I had a potent bottle of Sustained Energy with about 1200 calories in it, and I had a tic tac container of salt. When the watch would go off, I’d swig some of my drink. About every 30 minutes (though I kept losing track), I’d take a salt tablet. I also took some Gatorade from the aide stations once in a while. Early on, I started feeling nauseous, so I stopped drinking my SE for a while. I felt better after about 30-45 minutes and started back up again. I had a jersey full of candy including Katjes sour current berries and Haribo Pico-ballas, but I was too lazy to take them out. What a waste of good candy.

I finished the ride feeling strong, but having no clue what my bike time or overall time was at. Passing people is a good ego-booster, especially when they’re men wearing aero-helmets and riding disk wheels. ;)

T2

Had to pee like a mofo, which knocked at least another 1:00 off. It was like the pee scene in the movie Austin Powers. I changed into running shorts. I was wearing a brand-new top, but it was comfortable so I kept it on. The only thing I carried with me was a tic tac container of salt.

Run

Worst case: walking. Best case: 3:45. Actual: 3:40.

My run went a lot like my bike. I felt like I was holding a good, steady pace, but was just waiting to hit the wall. At each aide station, I would grab 2 cups of water and a cup of either Gatorade or coke depending on what I felt like having. I think by the end of the run, I was dehydrated, but I really slogged down as much fluid as I could. I took salt tablets sporadically.

It was tough to keep running, especially after the first full loop. By that time, many others were beginning their run too. I thought it would be nice to have a little more company, but it seemed like everyone was walking. That made it very tempting to walk, but at least most of those I passed shouted out encouragement. That helps so much! And there was this really hot European biker dude hanging out on the little loop section on the north side of the river. He always shouted my name, so I had to keep the pace up and looking good for him, right? Ahh.. I loved how he pronounced ‘catherine’.. My sister-in-law and her boyfriend were also on the course watching, so I knew I would see them twice during each loop. Spectators underestimate how much their cheering helps. Then there was KestrelKerri. No one cheered quite like her – she was great!

Towards the end of the run, I could see I was catching another woman, but it took me until I was right behind her to see that she was not in my age group. I don’t think she knew what AG I was in, so she kept a pretty hard pace. I eventually passed her with 2 miles to go, but she really pulled me along for a while. In a way, I didn’t want to pass. I was afraid to pass. I picked it up the next couple of miles (it hurt) because I didn’t want to get passed back. I ended up running every single step of the run, even through the aide stations. I crossed the Mill Ave bridge for the last time, curious about what my time would be. I hadn’t looked at my watch once during the run. I didn’t know what pace I was running. I didn’t even know what my overall time was.

Finish

Worst case: Crash & burn. Best case: sub-11:00. Actual: 10:27

Holy moley! I turned the last corner and for the first time saw my race time. I was elated. It wasn’t until later that I heard I won my AG. I was very, very surprised. I went into this race hoping to maybe podium, but nothing more. I couldn’t have had a better day.

I think overall, I went into this with the right mindset. I was ready to race and ready for the pain, but willing to be patient during the bike and run to make the race happen. Now I hope I can recover fully (my knee is still screwed up from the T1 biff) and start some solid training again for Kona. I may have to keep up the long Computrainer rides. They seem to work.

Me & My husband in Scottsdale before the race:

Congrats to everyone on their race. We had a great time in Tempe!
Quote Reply
Re: Another AZ Race Report [calee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GREAT JOB CATHY! You rock, sister. I looked for you all day but in the mass of people I couldn't find you, but I sent good thoughts your way.

Great to meet you and chat with you in the tent on Friday. If you ever come to Denver look us up!

Heather
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, great race and great race report. I totally know the hot European guy you are talking about... lovely smile...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job and great RR. What types of long Computrainer rides do you think were the most useful? Any details would be great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow woman! I love how you weren't paying attention to your times, it's in opposition to most of most of the race reports I've read. It's great to know there are so many studly triathlon women on ST. Thx for sharing the nice pic of you and hubby. Is he an STer too?

Please do share your computrainer sessions! Please!?!
Quote Reply
Re: Another AZ Race Report [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erika: she wore one of your hats for some of the training runs... :)
Quote Reply
Re: Another AZ Race Report [subminuteman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a FORMER fellow Minnesotan (I live in California), CONGRAULATIONS....Ya, SURE, You betcha!!! I am a CT devotee as well. Very impressive that you race by feel. What is your AG? Way to go!!

Lar Dog

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DA-HA-HAAAAAAM, woman - that's awesome! I too love the fact that you just went out there and did your thing without constantly checking the clock. I can't do that. ;-)

Best of luck in your Kona prep - but for now, take some well earned R&R and take care of that knee.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the report, you are an amazing athlete :-) I am impressed with the fact that you can race by feel like that, I'd like to be able to do that someday.

I will too rethink the computrainer rides. I have done them but I somehow had a mental block on how they would prepare me for the race so i would fly west instead.... You got me thinking:-)

Heal that knee and go get them in Kona!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Another AZ Race Report [MileHiSunshine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MileHi - I kept looking for you too whenever I went by special needs, but never saw you. Thanks for helping! It was really nice meeting you & your boyfriend.

As for the computrainer rides we did, they were very standard. Our long rides went like this: warmup easy with one episode of Lost, 2.00 to 3.5 hours at Ironman to 1/2 ironman pace broken into intervals with music on, cooldown with another episode of lost. Longest ride was 5 hours (which we did twice, I think), but most long rides were around 3.5-4 hours. I think the key was putting in the harder efforts into the longer rides. The intervals were sometimes long sets like 3 x 45 minutes with 5 min recoveries, or sometimes we'd do ladders of like 15-25-35-45-35-25-15. It helped break up the monotony of it. We almost always rode a flat course like IM AZ or Blackwater - we had an easier time staying "in the zone".

The shorter rides.. I did a lot of intervals there too. 4 x 10 very hard. Or 5 x 5 even harder. I used the "easy loop" course on the computrainer for most workouts. Not sure where I got it from. I also did rides I called "Heavy Legs" where I'd push hard gears at about 60 RPM. Intervals on those too - I started with about 5 x 5 min and worked up to about 5 x 8 min.

Thanks all for the congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goooooo GOPHERS!

Another ex-pat Minnesotan here -- way to go! I loved this line:

"It was like the pee scene in the movie Austin Powers."

I know exactly what you mean.

Great race too! I'm excited to see people do really well after a winter of training indoors. I have lots of questions for you about that...Did you find that the long indoor rides added to your mental toughness? Did you ride the whole course on your CT? Were you and your husband able to get out on the roads at all this spring? How did you do in the heat?

Congrats on winning your AG -- that is huge! Reading posts like this one gets me so pumped up. Thanks for sharing.

Have fun in Kona,

mm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job. It was really nice meeting you and Terry on Fri. Good luck in Oct.

Jeromy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, that's fast.congrats!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very impressive. Glad you had such a great day. It was great to meet you and good luck in Kona. Milehigh sunshine and myself might make the trip to Kona to watch so it will be cool to have people to cheer on:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Have a great time in Kona. Have a great time getting ready for Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Another AZ Race Report [mullinsm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We never really rode the whole course - it's apparently not too accurate as had us taking 3:30 to ride a 1/2 IM bike. Some people say the CT to actual comparison is pretty close in terms of time/speed. We're glad it's not on ours...

And we never rode outside, other than a couple times on the MTB for fun. Our 2nd day in AZ was the first tri-bike ride outdoors since probably September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey girl, congrats! You had an exceptional race and I was WAY impressed with your race! I have some pics for you and Terry, but am running off to the library, so hopefully I can send them your way tonight!! Oh, I also need you or Terry to send me your e-mail!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Another AZ Race Report [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just updated my user profile so it's in there...

Thanks again - I can't wait to see the pictures!
Quote Reply
Re: Another AZ Race Report [mullinsm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Great race too! I'm excited to see people do really well after a winter of training indoors. I have lots of questions for you about that...Did you find that the long indoor rides added to your mental toughness? Did you ride the whole course on your CT? Were you and your husband able to get out on the roads at all this spring? How did you do in the heat?
I have no question that the CT prepared us better than if we had rode outdoors in the cold. I definitely think that our metal toughness was improved from the long boring hours on the CT. Being outdoors during the race was a whole new, exciting world! More than the mental prep, though, I think the CT gave us an edge in the heat even compared to the locals. All our rides were in a 72-75° room. Once we left an electric heater on by accident and I think it got up to almost 80! We were definitely acclimated to racing in the heat...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats!!! you certainly did really well with hitting your goals for the bike and run!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race and report! Have fun in your prep for Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very very cool! Congratulations on a great race!

Funny, I don’t remember seeing any hot European biker dude (wasn’t looking) but I did see the sorority girls in camo….
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WoW !!!!!!!!

Your Kung Fu is good . Awesome RR !

If its OK to ask, who was the faster of you two ?

Enjoy Kona !

FWIW- I too train and race by PE, but only because I'm cheap .

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply