Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Annular tear between L4/L5
Quote | Reply
Has anyone here had this? I did a quick search and there was one other thread on the subject of an annular tear in the cervical spine (which I imagine would be worse).

The injury was acute in onset--I saved a potential wipeout on the mountain bike, but in the process of rapidly standing/twisting I "tweaked" my back and the pain was immediate. It has been hurting for the last 2 weeks with no signs of improvement, so I went to the Chiro on Tuesday and the diagnosis was a likely annular tear between the L4 and L5 vertebrae. She prescribed some stretching/strengthening, suggested an inversion table may help, and of course recommended that I come back and see her 3x/week for the next couple weeks. I was also instructed to avoid activities that may result in rapid compressive loading on my spine (i.e the jolting/jarring of MTB, running, etc.)

I couldn't run even if I tried--it hurts way too much. I can still bike without much if any pain, but heaven forbid I have to bend down and pick something up off a low shelf or the floor. Similarly, putting on pants/socks is a killer.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Annular tear between L4/L5 [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Annual tear is the same as a herniated disk I believe.

I had a severely ruptured L5-S1 disk. It was a real bugger before surgery. It was back in 2006 and through lifestyle changes (pure runner to trying to be a triathlete...not mostly cyclist) I can manage and have not much back pain. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

Now....I greatly question the ability of a chiropractic diagnosis on such an issue! I'd highly......HIGHLY... (highly) recommend getting an MRI to come up with a firm diagnosis. Best to know what's going on for sure without guessing and without pushing it and potentially creating more issues.

Never bend. Always squat. Or get down on one knee. Always. Lay on your back to get dressed if you must. It all helps.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Annular tear between L4/L5 [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Annual tear is the same as a herniated disk I believe.

I had a severely ruptured L5-S1 disk. It was a real bugger before surgery. It was back in 2006 and through lifestyle changes (pure runner to trying to be a triathlete...not mostly cyclist) I can manage and have not much back pain. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

Now....I greatly question the ability of a chiropractic diagnosis on such an issue! I'd highly......HIGHLY... (highly) recommend getting an MRI to come up with a firm diagnosis. Best to know what's going on for sure without guessing and without pushing it and potentially creating more issues.

Never bend. Always squat. Or get down on one knee. Always. Lay on your back to get dressed if you must. It all helps.

The distinction between an annular tear and herniated disc is whether or not the nucleus pulposa has spilled out of the disc. Based on my symptoms my chiro suspects that I just have a tear in the annulus without the inner portion (the nucleus) being affected. I'm not sure what level of confidence a chiropractor can have in making this type of diagnosis so I'm inclined to try and get a 2nd opinion that involves some imaging.

I've been a lot better about the whole squatting thing and laying down to get dressed, but I really didn't take this seriously enough initially. I figured I could just push through it, but it really didn't get any better.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Annular tear between L4/L5 [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None of us take it seriously enough at first. When I did it was too late and I desperately try to help others avoid my situation.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's nothing to mess with! I second the notion! Go see a doctor and get an MRI!

Hook Em' Horns
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An annular tear is not the same as a herniated disc. A herniated disc is when the soft center pushes out through the exterior of a disc. An annular tear is exactly that - a tear in the outer ring of fibers of a disc. With an annular tear no disc material is ruptured. I had a ruptured disc in college that forced me to stop running. Years later I started back training for marathons and suffered an annular tear of my L5/S1. You need to have an MRI to confirm this and should see a good neurosurgeon, not a chiropractor (at least for the diagnosis that is). It is initially painful, as you know, to the point where you can't straighten up, move or bend normally. My back was totally locked up. However, I haven't seen any further degradation of the discs around the tear and still have a fair amount of discomfort (especially when sleeping or a lot of walking). But after leaving the discs settle, some PT etc. I was able to train competitively for 3 marathons and have been training hard for the last 3 years for duathlons. It hasn't inhibited any of my workouts, it is just usually some minor discomfort after workouts. My neurosurgeon strongly recommended no running, taking up cycling and any core-related activity (rock climbing, yoga). The doc also didn't recommend surgery since I was only 40 and any replacement disc would be a man-made material that would deteriorate and I would be back in for the surgery again in my 60's/70's. The interesting thing is that I find my back feels better when I am working out then during periods of low activity. I still need to work on my core and flexibility as that will help immensely too.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Annular tear between L4/L5 [rbrnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just found out this morning I have an annular tear of the L5/S1 disc. Had an MRI and xrays done on Wednesday. Both the radiologist and doc see the tear, it's minor, but enough of a tear some of the inner disc fluid, I don't remember the name she used, leaks out onto the nerve, which basically causes a chemical reaction causing nerve pain. So that's the bad news.

The good news, they said for a 45 y/o male with an activity level of mine my back is in great shape and this should heal up with continued PT and possible steroid shot in the area. I've decided to hold off on the shot for now and try a 5 day dose of an oral steroid. Thankfully my season is done for the year already!

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply