Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread:
Quote | Reply
Okay it is that time again where us non-pure swimmers begin to freak out over the water temperature. So let's get this thing started. .I read on FB current temperature if 72, but we need definite confirmation.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless there's an absolutely EPIC heatwave for the next 2 weeks straight, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Sorry?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SORRY. If your words come true THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!!

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Sorry" - meaning; you won't have anything to worry about.

What will you do? What WILL you do?? ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the % split of wetsuit vs non wetsuit over the last ten years? Anyone know?

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
What's the % split of wetsuit vs non wetsuit over the last ten years? Anyone know?

I'm pretty sure it's been in the wetsuit gray area, not illegal according to WTC rules, just once. Never been fully wetsuit illegal.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Arctic Vortex is supposed to return this week. While we won't likely see snow on Whiteface, the chances of Mirror Lake warming any further should go way down.
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6 of the 8 days before the race will be 78 or higher with two of them over 80. Start feaking out! Thanks a lot ML, you jinxed us!!!

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
konaexpress wrote:
6 of the 8 days before the race will be 78 or higher with two of them over 80. Start feaking out! Thanks a lot ML, you jinxed us!!!

You're welcome! Anything to oblige.

You DO realize it took multiple weeks of 90+++ temps to make Mirror Lake non-wetsuit back in '11, right?

78-80 is actually quite seasonal for late July, certainly not abnormally warm.
I know you may lose this fact in the fahrenheit to celsius translation and all.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled annual freaking out, already in progress...

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your patronage :-)

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Konaexpress, glad to see you are still in for the race!
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Derek, whether the water temperature is 60 or 80 I will be there. And if the water is above 76.1, in the spirit of the sport, no w/s for this old guy.

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear that everything is good, I didn't think that anything would keep you from the start! See you there.
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My back is still pretty messed up but that's the way it's always going to be for now on. Still enjoy the training and racing a few times a year.

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry, I'm the guy who yo-yoed the run with you last year, offering the only thing I could - kind words. Hope you have a more comfortable run this year. I'll probably see you up there passing me.
-Dale

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Last edited by: TonyStark: Jul 13, 14 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [TonyStark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember you well Dale. I hope we have both have good days and enjoy the experience. Best of luck.

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
74 off the dock last night...cool evening and is only like 68 right now and raining...
Rest of week forcast is very mild temperature wise with cool nights.
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [PlacidPirate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6 of the 7 days before the race day time highs of 80+. If the water is 74 now, it will definitely be above 76 race day.

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's my thought too...lake heats up quick...
Will another reading in a couple hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [PlacidPirate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PlacidPirate wrote:
74 off the dock last night...cool evening and is only like 68 right now and raining...
Rest of week forcast is very mild temperature wise with cool nights.

But where is the "official" reading taken? Off the dock would be at a fairly shallow spot where the temps could be quite a bit higher than the middle of the lake, or at a greater depth.
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [scrappy_dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is exactly where it is taken from...73.5 tonight...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
konaexpress wrote:
6 of the 7 days before the race day time highs of 80+. If the water is 74 now, it will definitely be above 76 race day.

There are many many ways that race directors can get a magic 75.9 reading...
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [cowardlydragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So just to be safe, I'll pack my swimskin. No wetsuit, no problem........

-Michael Myette
Racing for RocklinEnduranceSports Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Annual Lake Placid \ Mirror Lake Freak Out Thread: [cowardlydragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes there are, but the forecast does not look good. Bringing my speed suit (which for me is an oxymoron).

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cowardlydragon wrote:
There are many many ways that race directors can get a magic 75.9 reading...

The very act of people swimming around the dock all week is enough to churn up a lower measured temp. Swim perpendicular to the course some time during race week, and you'll find that the surface temp in the vicinity of the cable is a good 4-5 degrees below the bulk surface temp, simply because the disturbance is entraining cooler water from below.

My prediction: wetsuit legal, without question or hesitation.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply

Prev Next