Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ann Arbor Triathlon, Ironman U and Women's Triathlon updates.
Quote | Reply
Registration for the Bikesport Ann Arbor Triathlon is moving along well but not in danger of closing at this time. We have room for 600 athletes. Right now the field is a little less than 1/2 full. No hurry at this point, but register early rather than later. The event does tend to sell out about three weeks before the date.

Registration for the Women's Triathlon is doing about the same- not quite at half our limit. I'm a little surprised it has done so well actually since there has been minimal publicity: Basically this forum and word of mouth plus a few web links. That is a smaller race. I doubt it will fill the first year.

The Ironman University continues to be the hot ticket. If you want in on this, it is filling fast. There are about 5 or 6 spots left if we stick to our current limit of 25 (I previously thought the limit was 40- that is wrong, the classroom isn't large enough). If you are interested in learning about doing Ironman, register for that now:

Elite Endeavors and Bikesport present:
Ironman University:
Learning Ironman for Everyman (and Woman!)
Saturday, March 18, Dearborn, Michigan

USAT/ITU Certified Coach and Official Joyce Donaldson, Ironman Wisconsin Medalist, 5 Time Ironman and Team USA Triathlete Jim Donaldson and 4 Time International Ironman Finisher, F.I.S.T. and N.E.C.A. Certified road and triathlon Bike Fitter, Bikesport, Inc. founder Tom Demerly present an all-day workshop on Ultra-Distance Triathlons.

Topics include:

Learn the secrets of Ironman preparation, base building, endurance building and how to build a training plan that works for your schedule and will get you to the finish line! We'll show you how to set your bike up for Ironman, what to carry and most importantly, what to leave home. Learn how to set up your bike, the pre-race tune-up and how to avoid and deal with mechanical problems at the race site. Learn the easiest ways to travel, what gear to pack, about hotel accomodations, eating at the race venue and things you never thought of that make your big race more enjoyable. You'll learn from the people who have done and officiated the races. Get the information that isn't in the race packet: Find out what will happen in registration, packet pick-up and race morning. We'll give you the inside story on how to maximize your Ironman experience taught by people who have been doing Ironman since 1986. See how to plan, rehearse, modify and perfect your race nutrition plan. We'll have samples from Hammer Nutrition, GU, E-Gel and more for you to take with and try in your training. Learn the secrets of race time-line planning, rehearsal and the importance of effective planning. See how to set up your gear for simple transitions, find out what to wear, how to change and the secrets of Ironman transitions. Get the information the pre-race meeting doesn't give you. We'll give you insights on how to maximize your race experience from staff who have done over 350 triathlons, ten Ironmans, raced on all 7 continents and medalled at Ironman Wisconsin. Certified USAT/ITU Official and Technical Commitee Member Joyce Donaldson teaches how to avoid penalties and the rules you need to know on Iron day.

Learn how to survive and enjoy the swim, how to prepare, the details on wetsuits and swim course navigation.

We'll look at race Ironman footage from previous years to see the successes and mistakes of top athletes. Find the details on the races you are going to from people who have been there. Get course talks and detailed information on the race your are doing. Learn all the details that make your race a success. Find out how to go beyond survival in your big race. Learn the mental strategies to manage stress and pre-race anxiety. Optimize your training for your event so you arrive prepared and confident. This is the perfect time of year for learning the details to a successful race. Our class will give you the start you need to build a great race training, planning and race day experience. Learn and ask questions. Network with other Iron athletes and spend a day getting ready to have a great season and a great race!

A sample of the course outline includes, but is not limited to:
  1. Ironman Training.
    A. Establishing your base.
    B. Building endurance.
    C. Recognizing your goal.
    D. Building your realistic training plan for your schedule.
    E. Making the detailed time-line race plan.
  2. Ironman Logistics.
    A. Travel arrangements, planning and accommodations.
    B. Arriving at the race site: Eating, registration, training.
    C. Bike set-up, pre-race tune-ups, bike transportation.
    D. Resources at the race site.
    E. Common race week errors.
    F. Preparation of special needs bags.
    G. Race clothing: What to wear?
    H. Transition area set-up, changing tents, “race flow”.
  3. Race day.
    A. Planning and working your nutritional plan.
    B. “Combat” bike repairs for race day.
    C. Your morning routine.
    D. Visualization and rehearsal.
    E. Race start: Swim survival and enjoying the swim.
    F. Avoiding penalties on the bike and knowing the rules.
    G. T2: Surviving and enjoying the run.
    H. Avoiding run penalties.
  4. Course information.
    A. Ironman Wisconsin course talk.
    B. Ironman Canada course talk.
    C. Ironman Florida course talk.
    D. Ironman Lake Placid course talk.
    E. International courses.

And of course- lots of time for your questions- write them down!

Ironman University will be held at the new Dearborn Ford Community And Performing Arts Center on Michigan Avenue in Downtown Dearborn near Michigan Ave. and the Southfield freeway.

Registration is $125. Clinic runs from 8:30 AM to 5 PM with lunch from Subway included in the price. We'll have door prizes from Timex, Aquaman, Cervelo, DeSoto, Jandd, Spinervals, Velo-Press, Felt, Craft and more!

Register early! Click here for registration form.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ann Arbor Triathlon, Ironman U and Women's Triathlon updates. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is cool. I wish there had been something like this around here when I started.

By the looks of it in the picture though, all the drafting issues in IM races can be attributed to your course. Stop teaching them how to draft. ;)

Just kidding.
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Ann Arbor Triathlon, Ironman U and Women's Triathlon updates. [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny you mention that. Since one of our class instructors is the one of the only currently licensed ITU officials in the US and also serves (or served) on the USAT technical board, she brings a unique perspective to avoiding penalties at Ironman.

We've had a lot of customers who have received penalties for "position" and they didn't understand how that happened. Especially on crowded courses like Wisconsin this is pretty important.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ann Arbor Triathlon, Ironman U and Women's Triathlon updates. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, does the 600 athlete limit apply to both the tri and the du, or just the tri? (I'd like to know if I should enter early for the du or if I can wait...)

Thanks.

I race duathlons and like it.
Last edited by: A-Train: Feb 24, 06 13:36
Quote Reply
Re: Ann Arbor Triathlon, Ironman U and Women's Triathlon updates. [A-Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That number is actually based on our primary limiting factor, which is the number of parking spaces in the park. So the 600 figure is for total participants with a very minor "fudge" factor built in and then parking spots remaining for other persons using the park that day.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome events: I'm thinking to do Ann Arbor and the Women's Tri but wonder if they will be USAT sanctioned. I need them for rankings. TIA

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Ann Arbor Triathlon, Ironman U and Women's Triathlon updates. [Afleet Alex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ann Arbor is definitely USAT...in fact it is part of their 2006 Grad Prix series for short course.
Quote Reply
Re: Ann Arbor Triathlon, Ironman U and Women's Triathlon updates. [CY TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, USAT sanctioned.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ann Arbor Triathlon, Ironman U and Women's Triathlon updates. [A-Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-Train,

You'll get in. "Wink" See you bright in early for our brick tommorrow.
Quote Reply