Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I misreading your plot or how can you have dips, like between 22nd-23rd on the female and 33rd-34th and 37th-38th on the male side? ie, if somebody placed higher in the overall, how can their percentage time be lower than the person ahead of them? How did you average the times?
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. It's the average of the percent of winner's time for each place over all the years for which there was a finisher for that place. The reason you would get a dip is the number of data points being averaged could get reduced. ie, averaging 4 data points drops to 3. Arguably, exactly 4 data points should be averaged always, and the lines should just stop as of the lowest place that has no finisher in any year.

Data here:
https://docs.google.com/...L8s/edit?usp=sharing
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
Mr. October wrote:

Ben Hoffman was #41 last year.

Ben got enough points to toe the start line; his goal wasn't to win the KPR. If he needed to be #25 he'd have raced more.

Additionally, if the KPR system were designed to get the "best" 25 athletes to Kona it would be less quantity-focused and more quality-focused than it is now. Some folks were able to get to Kona just by racing a ton, without big standout performances (which puts a average pro who is waaay overraced on the start line.....benefit for WTC, but nothing to do with Kona).

So you're saying that for #41 Ben to get all the benefits of being at Kona, he didn't have to try as hard as somebody that had to get at least #35? Like a female pro has to?

You and Thorsten and others claim that #35 woman has a tougher time of qualifying than #50 man. Andrew Messick says otherwise. Mathematics says otherwise. But, if there is validity to your and Thorsten's claim, then explain why it is the case that the 14th percentile female has to work harder to score the requisite points than 11th percentile male. Because if there is validity then it is a powerful argument for increasing the female numbers. No one thinks it should be harder for the final female pro to qualify than for the final male. But, many people do not think that it should be easier, which it will be at 50, and mathematically speaking, should be at 35. So, put some meat behind your claim that #35 female has it tougher than #50 male and you may find a more sympathetic audience.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [slorunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slorunner wrote:
tucktri wrote:
Huh?
Someone had better tell WTC they doing it wrong as the three women listed above all raced the biggest IM distance event outside of Kona in 2014, Challenge Roth.
I'd also love to know how Tri Equal could challenge Kona being called a WC since the world governing body recognizes it as such.

What's stopping the ITU from reversing that decision? If Tri Equal could get the ITU and USAT in their camp for equal slots WTC might be more receptive. If the qualification rules for Kona were set by the ITU or USAT we wouldn't have this issue. WTC has a conflict of interest on this issue.

Yes, all three of the women I mentioned raced Roth, but thats just one race vs at least 4-5 WTC races.

AFAIK, you would have to go back to the 1998 lawsuit agreement between WTC, ITU, and USAT in which ITU acknowledges it as the Ironman World Championship. I think that ITU can have it's own "Long Course WC", but unlikely to be at the formal Ironman distances.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marketing and potential sales. It can only help them to sell more gear to people sympathetic to the cause. And since this is not a controversial one like abortion or the death penalty, it is simple to get behind it. If your compared that list to the pros in Tri-Equal, how many are supported by those companies?

Plus we don't know if they are vocal and pushing the agenda, vs. just saying use our name on your site.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [slorunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slorunner wrote:
tucktri wrote:
Huh?
Someone had better tell WTC they doing it wrong as the three women listed above all raced the biggest IM distance event outside of Kona in 2014, Challenge Roth.
I'd also love to know how Tri Equal could challenge Kona being called a WC since the world governing body recognizes it as such.

What's stopping the ITU from reversing that decision? If Tri Equal could get the ITU and USAT in their camp for equal slots WTC might be more receptive. If the qualification rules for Kona were set by the ITU or USAT we wouldn't have this issue. WTC has a conflict of interest on this issue.

Yes, all three of the women I mentioned raced Roth, but thats just one race vs at least 4-5 WTC races.

ITU reverse that decision because there are only 35 pro women on the pier? Really? And if you take away the World Championship title, will that many pros choose not to race Kona? Winning Kona is winning Kona and will [at least for the foreseeable future] carry the same prestige.

Were I a pro, I'd definitely rather say "I won Kona" than "I won the ITU Long Distance World Championship at Roth." How many people in the real world have heard of Challenge Roth vs. the number of people that have heard of the Hawaii Ironman? I'm not trying to be a WTC fanboy, it's just reality.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
?? That can only be determined if and when 50 toe the line. But, if you want to predict, the trendline points to a widening performance gap as the finish place gets higher.

Okay, my question seems to have been incredibly stupid in the context it was written.

What I meant was...

Have you ever plotted the graph when there were 50 women racing during the pre-KPR years. I think there were generally something like 100 men, 50 women racing in that late 2000's. What would the 50/50 line look like then?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not. Hunting down results from before the current ironmanlive athlete tracker system is a PITA. Maybe I'll look to go back a few more years, though there are far more pressing things in my life than data entry of Kona results from a decade ago.... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slorunner wrote:
tucktri wrote:
Huh?

Your original premise is just wrong. Your usual top ten at Kona do not need to chase points. They mainly need to validate and then are free to race Challenge, halfs, chase big money races whatever they want. If you can give examples of top 10 Kona finishers who had to over race to qualify the following year I will gladly change my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
texafornia wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
Mr. October wrote:

Ben Hoffman was #41 last year.

Ben got enough points to toe the start line; his goal wasn't to win the KPR. If he needed to be #25 he'd have raced more.

Additionally, if the KPR system were designed to get the "best" 25 athletes to Kona it would be less quantity-focused and more quality-focused than it is now. Some folks were able to get to Kona just by racing a ton, without big standout performances (which puts a average pro who is waaay overraced on the start line.....benefit for WTC, but nothing to do with Kona).

So you're saying that for #41 Ben to get all the benefits of being at Kona, he didn't have to try as hard as somebody that had to get at least #35? Like a female pro has to?

You and Thorsten and others claim that #35 woman has a tougher time of qualifying than #50 man. Andrew Messick says otherwise. Mathematics says otherwise. But, if there is validity to your and Thorsten's claim, then explain why it is the case that the 14th percentile female has to work harder to score the requisite points than 11th percentile male. Because if there is validity then it is a powerful argument for increasing the female numbers. No one thinks it should be harder for the final female pro to qualify than for the final male. But, many people do not think that it should be easier, which it will be at 50, and mathematically speaking, should be at 35. So, put some meat behind your claim that #35 female has it tougher than #50 male and you may find a more sympathetic audience.

I think, don't quote me on this, but wasn't Harry Wiltshire one of the last men to qualify? I found this quote from him:
Since writing this update, we heard from Harry post-race as he boarded the plane to Japan: “The crazy points chase continues! My fifth place at Sweden and various other results over the weekend – such as Dan Hawksworth's fantastic result at the North American champs – mean I need a podium to get a slot. I can't walk yet, but it is a long time till I race again on Sunday… Better go and get that flight!”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

As I read Thorsten's argument he's showing two data points:
  • Women need higher KRP to qualify
  • Women who qualify race more Ironman distance races than men who quality

From here, he makes the argument that it is more difficult to qualify for women than for men. While this may be true, there are two logical counter arguments which might explain why this is the case (correct me if I'm wrong...)
  • Higher KPR for women can be attributed to fewer women per race so the top women can accumulate more KPR more easily since each race gives the same KPR to the x place finisher for each men and women. What this means is that a xth percentile woman will accumulate more KPR than a similarly placed male.
  • There may be another reason why women who qualify end up racing more than men. Sponsorships? Variability? My guess is that with a smaller population, there is a higher degree of uncertainty of the "will I make it?" variety. What I mean here is that if we're comparing two populations of varying sizes, the larger population will have less variability in the KPR needed to qualify so women have less certainty of knowing if they'll make it.

Now, I'm all for 50 women, mostly because it's a WC and because bad press is bad press. There may well be no way to know why women race more than men - you could poll a group of athletes of both genders and ask them their KQ strategies, but my guess is that this issue is big enough now that it would colour the discussion.

Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
slorunner wrote:
tucktri wrote:
Huh?

Your original premise is just wrong. Your usual top ten at Kona do not need to chase points. They mainly need to validate and then are free to race Challenge, halfs, chase big money races whatever they want. If you can give examples of top 10 Kona finishers who had to over race to qualify the following year I will gladly change my opinion.

You're right, the top 10 are typically not chasing points, bad example. But, I think everyone agrees that there are significant portions of both fields, mens and womens, that need to chase points to qualify. It seems to me that it is in WTC's best interests to maximize the number of pros that need to chase points, thus keeping them away from competitors races, and that is the real reason for 50/35. Of course they'll never admit to this. This is not an argument for or against 50 slots for women, just an attempt to discuss the real reason behind the disparity.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm asking a question more than stating a hypothesis, but is it possible that the women's points chase is closer not because of what the top finishers do, but rather what the bottom ten at a race do? If there are twenty men and twelve women in a race, ten men go home with zero points, but almost every woman gets points that put then in the kona chase. Half the men get the message that their chances are over by miss year, whereas more women are still in the chase mid season, despite pedestrian results compared to the top?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
I have not. Hunting down results from before the current ironmanlive athlete tracker system is a PITA. Maybe I'll look to go back a few more years, though there are far more pressing things in my life than data entry of Kona results from a decade ago.... :)

Figured as much. Don't go doing all that work on my account.

Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this Ironman thing should ever generate any interest outside of family members and age-groupers, they have to narrow down that field significantly. 25 men and 25 women is plenty. There are just not enough names people will remember and who are really in the mix.

Lets have regional races (1 per continent) and the top 5 pros qualify for the world championship. Enough. And enough of pros in Kona, that are 40 minutes behind the leaders. That is insulting to the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Endo Ag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo Ag wrote:
I'm asking a question more than stating a hypothesis, but is it possible that the women's points chase is closer not because of what the top finishers do, but rather what the bottom ten at a race do? If there are twenty men and twelve women in a race, ten men go home with zero points, but almost every woman gets points that put then in the kona chase. Half the men get the message that their chances are over by miss year, whereas more women are still in the chase mid season, despite pedestrian results compared to the top?

You do bring up an interesting theory, maybe it is true, maybe not. I listened to the interview with Messick yesterday. What struck me is that he said they do not give all their prize money earmarked for women away. No idea why that is the case.
What also strikes me, is the lack of female participation at the Challenge Middle East races. Some of the biggest prize purses in the sport with the opportunity to possibly win $1m. And that didn't get a ton of women there. Not even a lot of ITU women. Sure I get they have Olympic quaifying but we are talking life changing money here. The Challenge boosters on this forum always say "Challenge will have equal slots!" Well they have not in their 2 big paying championship races. I haven't done the math, only eyeballed the start lists, but it seems that they are roughly 2:1 male to female. Hmmmm.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
I listened to the interview with Messick yesterday. What struck me is that he said they do not give all their prize money earmarked for women away. No idea why that is the case.

Not enough women Pro's show up to a race.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
What also strikes me, is the lack of female participation at the Challenge Middle East races. Some of the biggest prize purses in the sport with the opportunity to possibly win $1m. And that didn't get a ton of women there. Not even a lot of ITU women.

I think the backwards ass thinking in treating women like 3rd class citizens has a whole lot to do with that. It really isn't difficult to figure that one out. Some of that maybe perception over reality but that's all it takes.

Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this morning i was listening to a podcast with Dede Griesbauer. She was saying that she and Cameron Brown had similar race history (2IM, 2 halfs), similar KPR (~4500) but he was almost guaranteed a spot for Kona, yet she would have to do another and how unfair this was

I was intrigued so when I got home I looked at their races. Cameron had to beat the likes of Terenzo, Tim Reed, Van Berkel, Crowie, Dylan McNeice. I did not recognize one name for the people Dede raced. I guess I know more of the male names, but I struggle to see those 4500 points being the same difficulty to achieve. Are male and female KPRs really equal ?

I looked at IMMT last year, NA champs, high point race. 17 men, 7 women. This is the race guys like Raelert used to scrape through to Kona and the women's field was not very deep, yet only 7 women showed up.
Last edited by: marcag: May 2, 15 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you're saying that if the competition isn't the best out there, then racing an ironman as hard as you can is exactly the same as sitting on the couch? Without the airfare and hotel travel costs as well? That's great!

And it must be fantastic to show up at the Kona starting line having done an extra Ironman that has zero impact on your body. Imagine how cool that is for your career!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: May 2, 15 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that is what he is saying at all. He is simple pointing out that the competition Brown completed against is not equal to the competition Dede raced to get "similar results". I have not investigated the two races of each but if his research is accurate, I would agree that it is disingenuous to compare your record to someone getting the results against top level competition when your results are against what would be considered 2nd or 3rd tier level pros. If Dede was Kona caliber, shouldn't she be winning against this type of competition, which in turn would get her more points and eliminate the need to race another IM event?

Again, this is not an indictment on Dede.....I simple used her because she was the one identified in the comment.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [songmak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I'm a big fan of Brett's podcast, what he is doing here is the same thing he has been doing dive this has bubbled to the surface. The straw man creation and dismantlement is impressive. The thing I got from Marcag's post is that at a "championship" race, the female who was dfl got the same points as a male who finished in the top 40%. When it comes down to it, nobody but their own mother gives a crap about the 35th male or female. The competitive ones don't chase points and the others are too far off the radar for fans to care about. The only valid agreement for that many slots is an Shelley's like Bevan Dochery last year who was injured in Kona and only had the second half of the year to chase points.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
So you're saying that if the competition isn't the best out there, then racing an ironman as hard as you can is exactly the same as sitting on the couch? Without the airfare and hotel travel costs as well? That's great!

And it must be fantastic to show up at the Kona starting line having done an extra Ironman that has zero impact on your body. Imagine how cool that is for your career!

I don't think that's what I said and it is certainly not what I meant.

Personally I would like to see the 80 best pro athletes at Kona. I would also like to see the best 1500 (or whatever it is) amateur athletes

In a perfect world, there would be a system that allows to compare results, across gender and age. Until that system exists, proportionality is probably the fairest system.

I don't like proportionality. I look at AG results from last year's IMMT and AGs such as 60-65 are "discriminated" against. There were performances in 60-65 that were more Kona worthy (IMO) than 40-45 yet they didn't get slots.

I have tried different models, see the pro and con of each and unfortunately the one that seems the fairest is proportionality. But certainly not perfect.

At one point I thought "Just take the top 80 KPR point getters". This doesn't work. My observation was that 4500 KPR points for a male and female do not seem to be the same. The podcasters were comparing Dede and Cam and *my opinion* is that it's not a fair comparison. This doesn't take away that Dede's results are very impressive.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by sciguy [ In reply to ]
Re: Andrew Messick maintains his position on IM Talk Podcast. [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Endo Ag wrote:
. The thing I got from Marcag's post is that at a "championship" race, the female who was dfl got the same points as a male who finished in the top 40%..

Except that Marcog was mistaken in his assertion. There were 24 female pros who finished the 70.3 NA Championship race at MT last year as well as 6 DNFs. It was a truly stellar field. He was confusing that race with the Plain Jane 70.3 that also took place at MT earlier in the year where there were only 8 female finishers. That race may well have had other races in direct or indirect conflict which reduced the show up.

Hugh

No, sorry, you are mistaken. I clearly said IMMT, full distance North American championship with Kona points
Quote Reply

Prev Next