Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: American Zofingen [MSUtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luck!

Have fun, it's an awesome ride.

PS - if you are "only" going to ride, do yourself a favor and park at the chapel parking lot (it's just a dirt and gravel pull off) that is about a mile below the Spring Farm entrance, maybe 100 yards before the turn that starts the loooong climb up to the Mtn House.

It's FREE, and easier to grab a bottle, etc each lap.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bell Head wrote:
Is Mr. Beck back again this year? He laps me way too early.

Don't know if Sir Beck is racing AmZof or not, but he has acquired a new training tool, errrr, I mean child. So, he's now pushing a double stroller on his runs and pulling a double burley on his rides. So, if you ever thought you had a chance against him.....think again, he'll be stronger than ever.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
So, if you ever thought you had a chance against him.....think again, he'll be stronger than ever.

Never, ever thought I had a chance against him. It's only a matter of where I am when he laps me.

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only did 1 loop of the course today (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175071635). That climb up Mohonk Rd. seemed like it was never going to end!!!

I spent a good portion of my first hour of the ride making minor adjustments to my new bike so that I could get comfortable. Unfortunately, that put me behind schedule and I had to cut the ride short.

The roads are mostly in great condition. There are four or five spots on Butterville Rd. where the pavement has been removed leaving only dirt and some nasty bumps. And the shoulders all along Rt. 44/55 could use some help, especially on the descent. Other than that, the ride is just fine, except all the damn hills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Dunno where this "hobbit-like" nonsense comes from - at 2" short of 6 feet tall

ok...ok...maybe you aren't "hobbit-like" after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhjRUKCKIG4
Last edited by: KAlber: May 5, 12 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MSUtri wrote:
Only did 1 loop of the course today (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175071635). That climb up Mohonk Rd. seemed like it was never going to end!!!

I spent a good portion of my first hour of the ride making minor adjustments to my new bike so that I could get comfortable. Unfortunately, that put me behind schedule and I had to cut the ride short.

The roads are mostly in great condition. There are four or five spots on Butterville Rd. where the pavement has been removed leaving only dirt and some nasty bumps. And the shoulders all along Rt. 44/55 could use some help, especially on the descent. Other than that, the ride is just fine, except all the damn hills.

MSUtri, solid ride!

The

I just finished two laps http://app.strava.com/rides/7933136#, going to see how a tequila based recovery goes.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [blwmhv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You too. I wanted to go for two laps but ran out of time unfortunately. I can't imagine how bad that third lap is going to hurt in a few weeks!

I'm off for a gin&tonic recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn dude...does your HR really get that high??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice...although I expect to see both of you in the 50mph club in 2 weeks....
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my HR monitor is on the fritz. I just replaced the battery in it last week and I've been getting some weird numbers lately.

Usually my HR only gets that high after a few hours of constant amphetamine use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MSUtri wrote:
I think my HR monitor is on the fritz. I just replaced the battery in it last week and I've been getting some weird numbers lately.

Usually my HR only gets that high after a few hours of constant amphetamine use.

I get the same thing with my 305 and now with my 910 as wel. What helps for me is putting on my hr strap in advance (like half an hour or an hour) so that it's nice and "lubricated" by the time I start my workout. But that's hit or miss as well. Don't care that much, since i use hr data mostly for entertainment purposes.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [Chipmunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find either some spit or some ultrasound gel works great to avoid the spikes in HR at the start of a workout.

Quote | Reply
Slobbering on the contacts to get em good and moist does the job. Otherwise you tend to get those ridiculous high readings, particularly right at the beginning of a workout.

So - who's recovery method worked best?
I opted for my standard 3 for a PB (tm) protocol - 1 SNPA + 2 DFH 60' = happy ML.

OK bitches - 2 weeks til AmZof.
Time to get your hills on.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The advance Amzof coverage is beating the hell outta the St. Croix "live coverage" at the moment...keep it up...I'm bored.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allllll righty then, if you insist:

We're doing a recon ride tomorrow, 2 laps bike + 1 ez run lap = beers after.

To avoid being on the dreaded "tapered list" <shudder> I did my hillclimb TT Fri afternoon, 8.5m hilly trail run yesterday, and 42m rolling hilly ride at .89 this am.
Hoping I won't have to wait at the tops of the climbs quite as long for Kevin & Keith now. Probably still will.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Slobbering on the contacts to get em good and moist does the job. Otherwise you tend to get those ridiculous high readings, particularly right at the beginning of a workout.

So - who's recovery method worked best?
I opted for my standard 3 for a PB (tm) protocol - 1 SNPA + 2 DFH 60' = happy ML.

OK bitches - 2 weeks til AmZof.
Time to get your hills on.

3 for PB works a hell of a lot better than a tequila recovery ... my head hurts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran longish friday (made sure to blow by the gay avengers house in the process), and rode 40 yesterday. Not sure what I'm going to do today...the wife is currently out riding. I *might* take today off...but I don't think i'll be on the tapered list since it would be my first day off in 3 weeks.

most likely i'll just go for a run later. need to save the aero-neck muscles for tomorrow.

I don't know how you could possibly beat me up the climbs now that I'm under 200 pounds ;)
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
made sure to blow the gay avenger in the process

Fixed it for ya.

Given that your FTP would have to be north of 360 for you to be at 4+ w/kg, I'm just gonna have to go ahead and drop you like a hot rock going up Mohonk.

But I do promise to wait at the top. For a few minutes anyway.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my first look at the course yesterday. I was with a couple other guys that are signed up for the race. We made a couple wrong turns on our first attempt at the run course, so that wound up being about 7 miles. The trail is fine - no issues with down trees or other obstacles).

We did 2 loops on the bike. Now that I've done the course, I can advise folks that there is no need for a small chain ring. Save the weight and go with just one big ring up front (53 or more). With this arrangement, an 11-23 in the rear will work just fine. The climbs are a snap, and these should be of no concern on race day. I recommend that people plan to hammer on the bike right from the start. There is no reason to try and meter out your effort to save something for the run. You'll have plenty left in the tank even if you red line the entire bike leg.

We finished with another loop on the run course (this time without any wrong turns). It was much easier the second time through, so I figure the 3 loops at the end of the LC can be done with descending times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody know if there is a place to camp nearby to camp the night before ? (Insert witty "pitching a tent comment" here)

I'd rather not try to drive down from Albany the morning of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: American Zofingen [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In addition to hammering the bike - especially the downhills, you want to max that out for sure - the other key is to go out as hard as possible for the first run.
Treat it like an open 5m trail run, or you'll be leaving time on the table. You'll still be able to run faster later on, by virtue of being properly warmed up by then.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MSUtri wrote:
Anybody know if there is a place to camp nearby to camp the night before ? (Insert witty "pitching a tent comment" here)

I'd rather not try to drive down from Albany the morning of the race.

Seriously, it's only about an hour from Albany to NP, especially at dark:thirty am. From the exit to the venue is another ~:15 mins or so.

You'd rather deal w/ the hassle of camping (which, btw, virtually guarantees rain whenever I do it), than sleeping in your own comfy bed?

If you must... the climber's campground at the Multi (Ab)Use area on Rt 299 is probably the closest.

There's also Kamping available a bit further away.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done. I'm sure they fell for it.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can camp outside of Catskill Mt. Multisport, where packet pickup is on Saturday. Mapquest 283 Station Road, Hurley, NY.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trislayer wrote:
I got my first look at the course yesterday. I was with a couple other guys that are signed up for the race. We made a couple wrong turns on our first attempt at the run course, so that wound up being about 7 miles. The trail is fine - no issues with down trees or other obstacles).

We did 2 loops on the bike. Now that I've done the course, I can advise folks that there is no need for a small chain ring. Save the weight and go with just one big ring up front (53 or more). With this arrangement, an 11-23 in the rear will work just fine. The climbs are a snap, and these should be of no concern on race day. I recommend that people plan to hammer on the bike right from the start. There is no reason to try and meter out your effort to save something for the run. You'll have plenty left in the tank even if you red line the entire bike leg.

We finished with another loop on the run course (this time without any wrong turns). It was much easier the second time through, so I figure the 3 loops at the end of the LC can be done with descending times.

Are you talking about the same course as the rest of us??? I was told to run a 55 or greater up front and your saying 53? I think your trying to set us up for failure...

Prev Next