Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Almost total Newbie with questions
Quote | Reply
Hi, I’m the newest newbie. I’m a former bike racer who hasn’t done really much of anything over the last 4 or 5 years, except drink a lot of beer and put on about 20 pounds. I did one triathlon the summer after I stopped racing bikes and did pretty well. I got 4th in my age group but it was mainly because I had the 3rd or 4th fastest bike of the day and it was done strictly on residual fitness. I have a couple of young children who don’t require as much care as they did a year or two ago. I thought of going back to racing bike but the thought of doing the same old industrial park crits isn’t as attractive as it once was. I guess I need some new challenges. I have always thought that I would love to do IM Hawaii but at 45 years old that thought may be starting to become unrealistic. I do, however, want to do an Ironman in the next year or two. So I guess my question is; where do I start. How do I begin?
Quote Reply
Re: Almost total Newbie with questions [CouchPotato2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, talk about a loaded question. First, you can do both Road Racing and Triathlons. Second, start running, swimming and biking. Even better, go out tonight and start. Starting is the hardest part. Once you get past that you'll slowly start to figure things out. Don't over do it in your first few weeks/months of training. Just get out and enjoy a run, bike, or swim. Nothing long, just start with 30 min. and go up or down from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.active.com/...mp;category=give_tri

I started here.

Depending on your fitness, you may want to skip the first few weeks of this plan. Personally, I only used it for about four weeks and then got a better feel for how I wanted to train, it was the information in general that was the most help to me.

------------------------------------------------------------

Not the victory but the action.
Not the goal but the game.
In the deed the glory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pick a short "goal race" maybe 8 weeks from now (more if there are any races that late in your area) to focus on and just start swimming, biking, and running. It really can be that simple to get started. You have a great head start with your competitive cycling background. You know how to work (and suffer!). ;) (Not that suffering is required...until that competitive bug bites!)

I like Dan's suggestion in that series to "just do 10 workouts". Pretty funny, but really, that's a great way to look at it. The bottom line is that this is supposed to be fun. Adding more "structure" can make it more fun for some people, less fun for others. For me, when I started in the early '90s the most important thing was simply having a goal race to train for. That's what motivated me. There was plenty of time after getting psyched by that first race to really dive into learning all the ins and outs of training and racing.

Keep checking in here on Slowtwitch, you will soak up a TON of good information. There are also quite a few good books available now for beginners in the sport (there sure wasn't much when I started!) and a slew of fantastic websites.

Bear in mind that every triathlete is an experiment of one--- what works for some may not work for others, so really take an open-eyed approach to the whole thing, and just enjoy the ride. Over time you will figure out what works for you, and where your strengths and weaknesses lie.

One other thing I'd suggest as a motivator (that works for me): Keep a training log. Hey, you're workin' hard, give yourself credit, rack up the points! ;) I just mean that it can be rewarding to keep track of all the work you put in and how you're progressing. "Hey, I ran that loop 30 seconds faster than I did last week--- I rock!" Good for the ego, and keeps you pumped to keep working.

If you're interested in trying to be competitive, be aware of one thing: The bottom line is that every triathlon comes down to THE RUN. You already will have an advantage on the bike, so I'd suggest focusing more on your running early on (depending upon just how good your swimming is--- if you're a truly bad swimmer, you'll need to work on that too, but if you're average, don't beat yourself up too much about that just yet). Working on your running will pay huge dividends. Take it from a fellow ex-roadie.

One last thing: Don't dismiss the idea of an Ironman out of hand. Remember that Bill Bell and Jim Ward were doing them well into their seventies....

Most importantly: Have fun and welcome to the TRIbe!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TriBaby
"The rule is, jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow, but NEVER jam today." ---The White Queen

Quote Reply
Re: Almost total Newbie with questions [TriBaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I had to write a side note to TriBaby: I think it was one of your race reports of Ironman Canada that I read way back (okay, maybe like 1993 or so) that helped convince me to jump into the IM distance in general, and IMC in particular. From what I have read elsewhere, others have been similarly inspired by one or more of your stories.

So, a public thank you from me!

Edit: yeah, I know I can delete stuff I wrote...but this was already out there! In perusing another thread I see you didn't do IMC until 1997, so my memory is a little off in the timing but not in the spirit. I do recall reading race reports of yours and it was probably in one of my "off tri" years and the inspiration was born to get back into the sport...or at least helped along anyway.

Still a "thanks" for what you have shared through the years.
Last edited by: Mike C: Aug 10, 05 17:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM is not an outrageous goal for someone with your background. My goal at age 47, barring injuries, is 2 Oly this year, 1 Oly and one 1/2 IM next year, and an IM for my 50th birthday. We'll see if the injury bug stays away.

Remember this

OLD GUYS RULE!!!

Re: Almost total Newbie with questions [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike, you have made my day! Thank you! :)

TriBaby
"The rule is, jam yesterday, and jam tomorrow, but NEVER jam today." ---The White Queen

Quote Reply