Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alden Design P5 storage box review
Quote | Reply
Thanks to Glen Alden from Alden Designs I had the opportunity to use the P5 storage box he has designed.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...5%20storage;#5121380

First off the installation is simple, I used 2 screws, one in the bottom and one on the down tube, it took maybe 3 minutes max. Here's a pic of it on my bike.

[URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/...zps779fd6ee.jpg.html][/url]

On race day I put a can of pit stop and the head to my co2 cartridges in the box. There was plenty of room and I could have put a spare tubular in there, but I just didn't want to carry one.

[URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/...zpsc488a018.jpg.html][/url]

Now I didn't have any tire issues and even with all that extra room inside the box and the bumpy roads of Eagleman, there was no sounds of rattling around or bouncing around. There wasn't much wind if any race day and I've never done the race before so I have no idea of watts saved, but with my setup it felt really aero so take it for what that is worth. I also had a ton of people asking me about the box so hopefully they found their way here to add their names to the list.

Now today was my first long ride (180km) since Sunday and this is where the box came in really handy. I was able to fit 2 tire irons, 2 clincher tubes, my co2 head, multi tool, and 2 bags of drink powder (I do this so I only have to buy water at stops). And there was still room left over!

[URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/...zps6196bff0.jpg.html][/url]

What I like most is this box gives you storage that was never there on the P5. Before I used one of the Shimano storage bottles in my rear bottle cage and it was a tight fit to get 2 tubes, 2 tires irons, and my co2 head (there was no room for a multi tool). Also today was a pretty strong head wind for the first couple hours and again its all relative but I definitely put more time into my training partner then a normally do given the watts we ride. Now was it just the box? I have no idea, he also rides a P5, but I am sure the open area it takes up definitely makes a difference. My training partner has added his name to the order list, along with several others I know with P5s.

In the end if you own a P5 I would strongly recommend getting this box. It solves all the storage problems you have and I am sure when the person testing in the wind tunnel is done, he will confirm it saves you watts.

Feel free to ask any questions,

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [Scott_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the review, looks very nice. What size bike are you on? 54? 56?
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 51.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what Garmin mount thing is that?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its the one that comes with the Xlab torpedo bottle setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i might not give a popular answer but i personaly think it look terrible. Very out of place.

The p4 had such a nice smooth well done box. This is nothing like it.

Same with Speed concept that as a very smooth and wheel finish box that blend with the frame.

I prefer a tidy small saddle bag well hidden behind the seat . on your bike, you would have the perfect space between seat and bottle holder to make a much more and clean set up....

just a opinion

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not done, this is the first "working" prototype that Glen released. The final version will be cleaner, beyond that to each their own, sure the P4 had an integrated solution but cervelo chose not to include it with the p5. So people that want this solution shouldn't have options?

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i havent said it s wrong to do so. i simply shared a opinion that i was disappointed in the execution. the idea is good.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What your looking at was printed on a 3d printer and isn't even carbon. The end product will be significantly cleaner. Please hold judgement of the product till then. Smile

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input everyone, even jonnyo ;o)

Yes, this is a part from my 3D printer, as I am still waiting on my tooling to show up for the real carbon parts :o(.

I really never had any intention of making any boxes for anyone to use in real world race conditions, but Scott would not leave me alone so I had to make him one (just kidding Scott), so thanks for your impressions on the function of this piece from your race.

I really was not sure how well the plastic material would hold up in a race so it is great to see that this material is pretty tough stuff. The plastic does not finish well when sanding the 3D plastic layers, but Scott did a good job of cleaning it up a bit and putting come matte black paint on it.

I was glad to hear that it has more then enough storage for the typical items that need to be carried in a race. This piece was meant to carry tubular tires as well as a can of Pitstop, plus other items, so the size is what it needs to be to make sure it will carry all that is needed. I might be making a smaller version in the future, but I need to get this one off the ground first.

Thank you again Scott for taking the chance and testing this piece out in your race and your detailed report. Glen
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really impressive stuff.

Keep up the amazing work :-)

website/blog | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [gralden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this the same box that was tested at the A2 wind tunnel on Friday? If so the drag numbers were not very good.
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [noreastersurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you share the drag numbers?

—
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [JanneK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't doing the testing, I was observing after being in the tunnel prior. I remember hearing between five and nine percent more drag depending on yaw angle.
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [noreastersurf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so about 5-10w which is to be expected as it really isn't aerodynamically designed, it is designed to try to fit onto an aerodynamic frame. the shape going around the downtube does not appear to be anything other than wedge shaped, no smooth transitions, just blunt. if the figures you heard were correct
Last edited by: jeffp: Jun 16, 14 12:50
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, this was the first real working prototype for a 51cm frame to help check the fit and position on the frame. The wind tunnel data is also showing ~5 watts added drag with this storage box. I have made several changes to the box to address area of concern from this data, as well as from a tooling standpoint, and functionality, and these changes can be seen in the included pictures.

Updates are: The box is now 5mm narrower, now at 40mm wide, this width will still allow a can of Pitstop to fit in as well as a tubular tire. I have also changed all of the tappered surfaces to blended radii surfaces for airflow reasons. The front of the box also blends in with the down tube more nicely on the top of the box as well as changing the top of the box to a fully round shape to help minimize the turbulance across the top of the box at higher yaw angles.

Due to the delay in my tooling supplier with my molds, I am able to get all of these changes into the tooling, so this is good.

This wind tunnel data came at a good time and allowed me to assess changes that will improve the shape of the box as well as making it look more blended into the current frame shapes i believe.

Please keep the input coming. Glen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sweet!
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [sk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is common knowledge or not but this from his website:

"Due to limited time constraints in my life now, I have stopped offering the Pre-2014 Trek Speed Concept 9 Cable Covers, Crank Covers, and the Generic Bento Boxes. I have also had to stop the Cervelo P5 bottom bracket storage box project that I started last year.

The only products I will be offering from this point will be the BTA Systems and the Garmin Computer Aerobar Mounts."

Sad. Understandable though. Carry on.
Quote Reply
Re: Alden Design P5 storage box review [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I would be interested in the 3d files, because I want some storage box for my Canyon Speedmax CF too, so I need to modify it a bit. I want to construct a solution like on the Plasma 5, where it's used with Elite Crono CX bottle.

Is there any possibility that you share the 3d files with me, so at least I have a starting point. Still don't know yet how I create best a mount for it.

Thanks in advance
Florian
Last edited by: ascat: Jun 22, 17 12:43
Quote Reply