Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ah, to be young again
Quote | Reply
Thought the article below might be of interest to the ST folks. The distances this kid is running is amazing only, then you realize the periodicity of it, and it is staggering. Can't see how this could be good for him given his age.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/...uth_asia/4421446.stm Fears for Indian 'marathon tot'

By Sandeep Sahu
BBC News, Bhubaneswar
Officials in India's eastern Orissa state fear a three-year-old who has become famous for running marathon distances is being exploited.

Budhia Singh, who recently ran 60km (33 miles) in six and a half hours, has appeared in a spate of TV commercials.

The state government says it also fears the long distances may be damaging the boy's heart and lungs.

His mentor, Biranchi Das, dismissed the fears, saying Budhia had regular medical check-ups.

Orissa's sports minister, Debashis Nayak, said the government would not be a mute spectator to the exploitation and would intervene, if necessary, to "save his future".

Budhia recently ran non-stop from the holy town of Puri to Bhubaneswar, a distance of 60km (37 miles).

A few days before that, he ran non-stop from Bhubaneswar to Cuttack - 35km.

During a recent visit to Orissa, former top Indian runner, PT Usha, also said running for 50 to 60km so frequently could have disastrous long-term consequences for Budhia's health.

Scolded

But Budhia's mentor, Mr Das, is undeterred by the criticism.

"A team of three doctors conducts regular check-ups on Budhia to find out if anything is wrong with him.

"I don't know why these people are so concerned."

The state government has announced a monthly stipend of 500 rupees ($12) for Budhia but Mr Das said: "The amount would not be enough to meet the expenses for even two days."

Mr Das, a judo coach, noticed Budhia's talent when scolding him for being a bully.

"Once, after he had done some mischief, I asked him to keep running till I came back," Mr Das said.

"I got busy in some work. When I came back after five hours, I was stunned to find him still running."

Budhia had been sold by his poverty-stricken mother to a man for 800 rupees.

Mr Das summoned the man who had bought Budhia and paid him his money back.

He then started a strict diet and exercise regimen that saw Budhia adding a few kilometres to his running every few days.

----------------------------------------------------

Formally azclydesdale, back in Northeast Ohio.
Quote Reply
Re: Ah, to be young again [azclydesdale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is messed up. Kinda like "little Hercules"...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disturbing. Is he running all of those miles barefoot?

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should not be concerned about his heart and lungs so much as they should be concerned about the growth plates in his bones. If he keeps it up, he may likely severely stunt his growth, if he doesn't end up seriously injured before too long.

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i find it interesting that the beef is that the kid runs, not that he has already been sold twice.

I <3 human's for sale

Anyone know where I can get a teen who like to mow the lawn and take out the trash?

-zakk

Death Squad Cycling Club
http://www.ridethedeath.com

"Why is that people will drop $2000 on race wheels and a few c-notes for an ugly tattoo and then balk at the race fee?" - Blackie
Quote Reply
Re: Ah, to be young again [A-Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I was thinking, that soft tissues and the endochrin structure must be taking a beating on the kids body. I know mine does.

Funny thing is, I picked up my first weight when I was about 11 years old. Everyone said that lifting would stunt my growth. I wonder if it did, how much taller I would be.....

----------------------------------------------------

Formally azclydesdale, back in Northeast Ohio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weights and running can be done when children are young, but excessive running and power lifting can be very harmful. There isn't a whole lot of rationale to power lifting before puberty has had time to make changes to the body, because beofre then, there isn't as much muscle mass on the body, and it can really damage the muscles and connective tissue that is there.

And for the record, yeah, I do have issues with the kid being sold twice. Being desperately poor is not justification for selling your child, but it's well-documented that people will do all sorts of crazy things in that kind of situation.

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply