Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Age Grouper National Team Kit
Quote | Reply
Just a quick wonderingment on my part. Any of you Slowtwitchers had any issues with getting stuff on time for the event? Hmmm?

Have you found the prices reasonable? Small runs I guess plus the added cost of having a name on the back would push costs up and time for manufacture I guess.

Any particular suppliers better than others I wonder? Totally hypothetical situation of course. I certainly haven't not received a piece of kit until after the event has been and gone (pardon the double negative there).

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience has been negative.

I'm doing long course worlds on Saturday (24-SEP-2016). I did not get the initial email about it being time to order the kit. (I did get many prior emails, and subsequent emails. It was not in my spam folder.) When it was about August 1, I realized I still had not been notified and I emailed USAT. I found out that the call for orders had gone out a month earlier. When I went to order my suit, they were out of 2 piece in my size. So I had to buy a one piece. No other option. (I wanted 2 piece; hate the idea of 1 piece.)

Since USAT had ran a poll early in the year (Februrary?) asking it we would need kit, and if so, what size, I think running out of sizes is just unacceptable. It is not like they had no idea how many orders they would get, or for what sizes.

The suits are also not very high quality for the money. If I was purchasing it on the open market, I'd expect to pay about $120, not the $200 required. (Having your name added was an extra $50; I chose not to have my name added.)

Also, you have to buy TYR, there is no other option, only one model, available in either 1 or 2 piece.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry this happened to you. I've read of similar problems from others. I'm racing Cross Worlds in Penticton next year and would like to avoid similar issues. Any suggestions? I know it's extremely early, but I've already inquired about it and they said they won't address it until 2016 Worlds are over (which I understand). I was just trying to be proactive in hopes of avoiding the same thing.

VDOT O2 Run Coaching
Team INFINIT Discount Code: RowanJones
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Express you concerns in the TeamUSA Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/781961558480877/

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [Rowan Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In retrospect, they said in an early email that we "would get to order our kit in early 2016". From that I should have been emailing them the first of every month, starting in May, asking if I missed the ordering information email.

It would be great if they were organized enough to say something like "you should get an email regarding kit orders within the dates DATE 1 and DATE 2; contact us if you don't hear from us by then."

But it seems rather disorganized.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although it's been a while since I've been on the teams, it has ALWAYS been an issue. Sometimes the team manager had to bring the suit and we got them the day before the race. For the life of me, I really can't understand how they always have that issue. Also, the quality is usually really, really poor. As I have worked with an awesome clothing company through the years and know quality, we tried to get into the USAT vendor stream to supply our US teams with the best stuff out there. Sadly, they want a $$ "contribution" to be considered, so the stuff the team gets is only from the companies that will give a "kickback" to them. That's why it's always the crappy TYR or big name companies with golden purses that can afford that. Then athletes are overcharged and undersupplied. We have in the past made one off suits for individual athletes and they have been used fine, but I don't know the current state of that. When I worked expos for Kiwami, we constantly had people who owned the TYR team suit come in and buy ours as they liked it so much better. It's sad, but reality in our country that money talks.....

quintana who wrote:
Just a quick wonderingment on my part. Any of you Slowtwitchers had any issues with getting stuff on time for the event? Hmmm?

Have you found the prices reasonable? Small runs I guess plus the added cost of having a name on the back would push costs up and time for manufacture I guess.

Any particular suppliers better than others I wonder? Totally hypothetical situation of course. I certainly haven't not received a piece of kit until after the event has been and gone (pardon the double negative there).

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why over the years I have done a couple of things.

First, yep, I ask, and if needed, continue to ask about status on stuff.

But the main reason I started the TeamUSA facebook group is to give an easier way for folks to share info without all of us having to bug USAT.
USAT is on the FB group and will give us status updates to questions. Then all of us are on the same page as to status.

Based on what has been written, I sure hope they get a different supplier for the team uniforms next year!

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, see my reply above. They won't kill the golden goose even though the athletes bitch. Been there many times. Why our teams usually have the lousiest kits at the race astounds me. The only exception is one year when the vendor could not even supply the kits, Emilio stepped up (he was a team member) and custom made DeSoto Team USA suits. Those were the best we ever had as the USAT vendor stuff was junk. The best thing about our other gear was that I bought a bunch of it, thinking it was nice and after getting it, scored some great trades with other countries' athletes for their gear. USA stuff is always treasured and a keeps a very high trade value.

h2ofun wrote:
This is why over the years I have done a couple of things.

First, yep, I ask, and if needed, continue to ask about status on stuff.

But the main reason I started the TeamUSA facebook group is to give an easier way for folks to share info without all of us having to bug USAT.
USAT is on the FB group and will give us status updates to questions. Then all of us are on the same page as to status.

Based on what has been written, I sure hope they get a different supplier for the team uniforms next year!
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After dropping $500, there is no excuse for failing to get a couple of e-mails to me. I should not need to reley on trolling a Facebook Page.
Last edited by: Wild Horse: Sep 21, 16 16:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if it is still the case, but you used to be able to use kits form past years. I remember seeing about 1/2 dozen different team USA outfits when I did the races. I know I only bought one(one of the years DeSoto had to bail them out last minute) and continued to use that same suit. I believe someone always said you could not do that, but every year it seemed to be ok.

ANd I agree that the uniforms are usually very badly designed and not very attractive, from a lot of past companies. And they also used to try and get you to buy all the parade uniforms too, at inflated prices. It really is a shame that an organization that has millions of dollars in the bank, makes most of its money off of AG'ers, does not at the very least pony up some cost deal on a uniform that people could be proud to wear and own. This bleeding of the folks that are good enough to represent their country is just shameful. This should not be a money making scheme for USAT, they have plenty of other areas to make money..
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, I was able to use my TYR carbon 1-pc from Du Worlds about 3 or 4 years ago. I contacted USAT because I did not want to buy another kit I would typically only use for a Nationals race or World race. So I know this coming weekend's LC World's does allow kits from the past few years. If anyone has been on an AG Nat Team the last few years, or plan to be on one in the next few years after this season's world races--hold on to them. Really no point in buying a new one every year. Although I will admit a 1-pc carbon will not be the most comfy kit. I'd have liked a 2 pc one for a longer race for bathroom breaks alone (it's easier), but at some $300 it just wasn't feasible to waste that--it's practically a car payment!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quintana who wrote:

Thanks!

Almost had trouble... but I asked them to send my uniforms to Kiwami. The current vendor was going to charge me an arm and a leg for printing my name/logos/country and an additional couple of weeks to do so. Had I gone their route, we were looking at me NOT getting my kit on time or maybe shipping it to the event. I got the feeling they send the uniforms out of house for printing and find it a little funny the vendor offers to let you put their logo on the kit for free. I don't think TYR has anything to do with the printing on the uniforms. I digress... I bought two kits and had them shipped to Kiwami. Kiwami turned them around in a day or so for a lot less $, great job Kiwami!

Not a fan of the current kit, which is the Competitor line, IMO it isn't a very good/quality kit. It looks like the vendor and the manufacture are locked in, not much we can do about it. I'd love a better quality kit for TeamUSA next year.

Some of the other countries have some really nice stuff. I wonder if Kiwami could provide us the Spider or maybe Amphibian for a comparable price... that would be amazing to race in!
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree. I really dont like the TYR kit. I race in Kiwami all year, that is great kit, then having to go to TYR sucks, it just doesnt feel right and I chafe bad in it. you cant go wrong with either the amphibian or spider, i have them both and they are great.

I wish Kiwami would make a play to become team USA suppliers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless the kit is free, for what it costs, it should not be junk!

Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, there are better kits out there for sure. I have several of them, my favorite is my TeamUSA kit for its nostalgia... however it is my least comfortable kit I have, the leg grippers being my chief complaint. I chafe in my kit as well but that only affects me afterwards I guess with annoying rashes. I wonder what kit the current Elites are wearing... it is TYR and doesn't look like our kits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My wife had a tough time getting her suit for the duathlon worlds last year. Since the race was in October they didn't allow duathletes to order suits until the orders for the triathlon worlds races had been filled. By that time the only sizes they had left were xs, and s, but we knew my wife would need a medium or large. She tried the small, but that barely fit our 10 year old daughter. So we sent that back and I had to be the squeaky wheel. I was confused about why they (TriSports is who I was dealing with) just didn't order more when they started to run low. The response was that TYR ran out of the material for the tri suits so they couldn't make more even if they wanted to. I didn't believe this so I called TYR just to see if TriSports was full of crap but they gave me the same line. I continued pestering Tri-Sports and it came to be that they had one of TYR's carbon suits in a large that we could buy for the same price. Anyway xeon, that's my long-winded way of saying I wonder if the carbon suits are what the pros are wearing.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Monty, I was able to use my TYR carbon 1-pc from Du Worlds about 3 or 4 years ago. I contacted USAT because I did not want to buy another kit I would typically only use for a Nationals race or World race. So I know this coming weekend's LC World's does allow kits from the past few years. If anyone has been on an AG Nat Team the last few years, or plan to be on one in the next few years after this season's world races--hold on to them. Really no point in buying a new one every year. Although I will admit a 1-pc carbon will not be the most comfy kit. I'd have liked a 2 pc one for a longer race for bathroom breaks alone (it's easier), but at some $300 it just wasn't feasible to waste that--it's practically a car payment!

I'll be using my TYR Carbon from 2013 tomorrow for LC Worlds. I like it better than my new one.

Not that it'll really make that much difference for me
Last edited by: jaretj: Sep 23, 16 16:24
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not to change the topic but have a good friend that paid all the $$$ to go there and entry and didn't even get a race t. they ran out.

sure seems to me like a very poor run race.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjb3 wrote:
not to change the topic but have a good friend that paid all the $$$ to go there and entry and didn't even get a race t. they ran out.

sure seems to me like a very poor run race.

The race director doesn't sell the kit, the national federations contract someone to do that. In USA's case, that would be trisports.

With that said I have an extra size small with me.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every year in the annual survey I write the same thing: Triathletes generally have some disposable income and we don't mind spending money on QUALITY stuff, but USAT never offers quality stuff.

Year after year everything from the All-American clothes sold thru trisports is the SAME and JUNK. The TEAM USA stuff is the SAME exact stuff as the All American and again, its the same year after year and junk.

As far as the TEAM USA stuff I too had the same issue as everyone else, where I ordered early, they charged me so much for lettering and shipping and it didn't arrive in Chicago until the day AFTER I raced the Sprint Worlds. Nice.

The TEAM Parade kit is ridiculous as well. Every other team - New Zealand, Australia, Mexico, the Japanese - they all have so much better kit that its embarrasing.

Why can't TEAM USA do what even small cycling clubs do? Forget Trisports (why do they have to go thru trisports?) and just make an order page full of QUALITY stuff and lets us order it! Even my local cycling club does that. "Order opens Sept 1, closes Oct 30th. After you order expect you stuff in 2-3 weeks." Done.

Even those w money don't want to get ripped off. Why do they make the same mistakes year after year and nothing changes?
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See my post above. We tried. USAT wants $$ in exchange for being considered. That's part of the reason why all the athletes are reamed on the cost of the suit...they build in the kickback charge. Very sad that most of the athletes hate what they have to race in.

tfleeger wrote:
i agree. I really dont like the TYR kit. I race in Kiwami all year, that is great kit, then having to go to TYR sucks, it just doesnt feel right and I chafe bad in it. you cant go wrong with either the amphibian or spider, i have them both and they are great.

I wish Kiwami would make a play to become team USA suppliers.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [dsmithsc91] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting... your wife may have hit the uniform lottery... lucky her!

Here is what they're wearing now...

That is... except if you're Gwen. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's time to get organized and raise a collective stink with USAT.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [Desert Tortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert Tortoise wrote:
I think it's time to get organized and raise a collective stink with USAT.

Come raise your concerns in the TeamUSA FB group!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/781961558480877/

Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
Every year in the annual survey I write the same thing: Triathletes generally have some disposable income and we don't mind spending money on QUALITY stuff, but USAT never offers quality stuff.

Year after year everything from the All-American clothes sold thru trisports is the SAME and JUNK. The TEAM USA stuff is the SAME exact stuff as the All American and again, its the same year after year and junk.

As far as the TEAM USA stuff I too had the same issue as everyone else, where I ordered early, they charged me so much for lettering and shipping and it didn't arrive in Chicago until the day AFTER I raced the Sprint Worlds. Nice.

The TEAM Parade kit is ridiculous as well. Every other team - New Zealand, Australia, Mexico, the Japanese - they all have so much better kit that its embarrasing.

Why can't TEAM USA do what even small cycling clubs do? Forget Trisports (why do they have to go thru trisports?) and just make an order page full of QUALITY stuff and lets us order it! Even my local cycling club does that. "Order opens Sept 1, closes Oct 30th. After you order expect you stuff in 2-3 weeks." Done.

Even those w money don't want to get ripped off. Why do they make the same mistakes year after year and nothing changes?

I have personally made these comments to Tim directly many times. His answer is always the same. Folks bitch the TeamUSA stuff costs too much. Many expect it somehow to be free.

I never have considered any of the USAT clothes since it seems over priced for the quality.

Quote Reply

Prev Next