Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aerodynamics of Descending Positions [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Y no superman?

The graphic I saw listed Superman position at a third (top) row in the center as 24% faster. OP linked Part 2 of the article, but superman is discussed in part 3 (link)
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamics of Descending Positions [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
so I question if he was gaining anything other than jacking up his danger profile).

Yes, he was gaining 13 seconds on Nairo Quintana. :)

I hesitate to lecture Froome on descending technique when Valverde, considered one of the best descenders there is, not only couldn't bring him back, but lost time.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamics of Descending Positions [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
so I question if he was gaining anything other than jacking up his danger profile).

Yes, he was gaining 13 seconds on Nairo Quintana. :)

I hesitate to lecture Froome on descending technique when Valverde, considered one of the best descenders there is, not only couldn't bring him back, but lost time.

Sure, fair enough. My main question is how much additional power he put to the pedals and at 70-100 kph does that tiny amount of power actually result in any more speed that a tighter tuck won't gain you from reduced drag. Hey but we're on ST....what better things do have to do other than work and monday morning QBing pros!
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamics of Descending Positions [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Irony of this thread. is

The Bigger BALLS you have to go fast. The harder it is to get into the proper Position.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Aerodynamics of Descending Positions [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
nealhe wrote:
Hello Rappstar and All,

Just call me a 'wuss' but I do not feel comfortable in a fast descent in the 'Pantani' or 'TopTubeSafe' especially if the road is rough or technical.

Now ..... after seeing this ........ I will feel like I am missing out on some speed .... but ..... discretion is the better part of valor .....

I like the 'Back Down' position and if the road is smooth maybe get my arms in closer to my body ... and get one shoe parallel to the ground like the picture.

That Pantani position is actually pretty stable and sae. I use it (or hands on top version) on about half my daily commutes to work. There is one hill where I test my speed at the bottom. I slide back on the seat until my belly button is right at the back of the saddle with my arms extended straight out in front. When competing against other cycle commuters, I invariably have 5-10kph better top speed at the bottom of the hill than they've got.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my skiing background might be a help, but I think weight might not be too big a deal. I'm fat and 5'7" short. I have impromptu downhill races some mornings with a buddy. He's about 6'5" tall and a (now) chubby ex- pro rugby player. He's 20-30kg heavier than me, and even when he's doing all he can to go fast, I can still beat him handily.

I suggest that you try the Pantani position, in stages, under safe conditions until you get used to it. I think once you're comfortable with it, you'll be safe and fast. If you want to go fast uphill, we all acknowledge that you have to train for that. Likewise, if you want to go fast downhill, you need to train for that too. We all get caught up in this bike or that bike saves you 40 seconds on an IM bike split. Hell, I make up waaaaay more time than that, just by downhilling well and that's even on a fairly flatish course like IMNZ. On hillier courses I make up even more time on downhills. Too bad I've lost all that time already on the uphills :-(

How about you have your rugby buddy do the Pantinee to test the theory?
Quote Reply

Prev Next