Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobar discomfort on the trainer...
Quote | Reply
I find that when riding on the trainer I can't stay comfortably on the aerobars for more than a couple minutes at a time... yet I ride ~3 hours in a 70.3 without sitting up for anything but steeper hills and to get at my nutrition. Is this a common occurance?

My short rides I do on my trainer in season as I live in the city and it's not worth driving two hours to ride for one... and I am now thinking ahead to the winter months when longer rides are indoors too.

Am I short changing myself being on the bulls for most of the time on the trainer as opposed to the aerobars?

- Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar discomfort on the trainer... [mike_28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have something under the front wheel to make it level with your back wheel? I can't think of any reason why you'd be able to do 3 hours on the road and 3 minutes on the trainer save the bike somehow being in a different position (say, front wheel lower than the back wheel -> issues)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not a problem I personally have as I tend to do intervals indoors so am only on the tribars whilst working.

Only things I can think of are
ensure the bike is level so your not putting undue strain on your shoulders
No wind indoors, so lack of ventilation may lead to discomfort.

Lots of people do indoor rides on standard road bikes, so you won't short change yourself .

You won't need to ride 3 hours in the aero position over the winter to keep accustomed to it. One will do.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar discomfort on the trainer... [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has a wheel block - but now that I think about it, it's not the block the trainer came with. It doesn't look drastically out of level but I'll check it out. Thanks!

- Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its funny...i have exactly the same problem. and I know my bike is level. only thing i can figure is its more boring or lack of air circulation...or maybe we're just more aware when we're indoors of the discomfort we would never notice while actually riding...plus the bike moves under you more when you're outside versus fixed to a trainer...i dont think it short changes us- its the legs that need to get worked out...
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar discomfort on the trainer... [triisr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My question was driven more by the fact that I notice a substantial difference in heart rate with similar perceived exertion between sitting in the aerobars, sitting on the brake hoods and sitting up in the saddle (ie drinking or eating - but even when just sitting there with hands on hips) - so I was thinking maybe the muscle recruitment or power transfer changes substantially with the geometry of your upper body?

- Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a fan, your heart rate is higher on the trainer as your temperature is higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]My question was driven more by the fact that I notice a substantial difference in heart rate with similar perceived exertion[/reply]

Certainly you'll recruit more muscles when supporting your upper body non skeletally, but I wouldn't have thought it'd be substantially noticable.
You find it gets harder in the aero position? Can't think of a reason unless you work harder than you would on the road. That seems unlikely.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar discomfort on the trainer... [neil_laing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reverse - heart rate goes up as I sit up taller. Can't explain it - but it happens.

- Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More muscles recruited, to a point.

When sitting up your upper body is supported using only your core. On the hoods, your arm muscles are recruited for stability, think of a tripod. Core muscles are used less at this point. On the aerobars, limited upper body muscle use as skeletal support is used.

Everyone is different so this might be natural for you. As long as you can solve the inital discomfort problem I wouldn't worry about this too much

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What type of trainer do you have ?? Mag ?? Fluid ?? Computrainer ??

If have found that if I am on my Computrainer, I can ride up to 5 hours on it indoors ... but, if I was on a Mag-type trainer, due to the resistance on the rear wheel, I have found it also difficult sometimes, as well .... hmmm ..
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar discomfort on the trainer... [HCD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TACX Grand Excel (Computrainer-ish) - however I blew up the computer so I am just changing gears to vary the resistance at this point - not even plugging it in.

Have to send computer in for service some day. I am curious to see watts over next winter.

- Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a similar problem and I think it's caused by the lack of side to side freedom of movement. On the road, you're able to move the bike side to side as you pedal but because of your forward movement, it keeps it leveled. On the trainer however, you can't move it side to side, so you feel kind of constrained. That's my opinion though, can't back it with a study.=P

Izzy G.
Quote Reply