Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobar Help Needed
Quote | Reply
So I bought a new (to me) tri bike last week and noticed the aerobar was loose. I didn't look too closely as I was excited to ride it (first tri bike). I finally remembered to tighten it before riding and was surprised to find everything was nice and snug. Upon closer inspection it looks as if the aerobar has broken (yellow highlighted circle in the picture). It's strange in that the break is so clean it looks as if it was cut. I'm assuming there is a joint there that was welded together during production, or something along those lines. I am new to the sport and know nothing about aerobars so my question(s) for you guys are:

Is this something that can be fixed? It's aluminum and I know that can be a pain to weld.
If it can't be fixed, what are my options?
Can I replace just the bars or do I need to replace the aerobars/handlebars as a kit?

I believe these are considered integrated aerobars as opposed to clip on aerobars. Cost is a big concern (it's an older Specialized Transition Comp, aluminum frame). I spent some time looking into aerobars this morning and don't want to spend $800 for bars on a $500 bike. Are there any reasonably priced new options? Are there any used options you guys would recommend?

Thanks for any help you can offer as I am a bit lost on this one!

Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Help Needed [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you try contacting the manufacturer and sending them the picture? It may be a shot to see if they can help you out....
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Help Needed [Jimster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimster wrote:
Did you try contacting the manufacturer and sending them the picture? It may be a shot to see if they can help you out....

I have not... it's an older bike so I figured they would just laugh. Still, it's worth a shot. I'll take a look at it tonight and see who made them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't ride that, and don't try to weld it. I'm not sure why someone would cut the bar like that (what it looks like was done) but it's cheap enough to replace I wouldn't risk it. Vision clip on's (looks like what those are) are $50 NIB on ebay and you can probably find the same / similar for less. Agree with above, send the picture to vision/FSA and see what they say.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: leegoocrap: Jan 27, 15 4:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vision Aerobars...It looks like the extension is coming off the base.

Those are normally bonded some how. Some of mine have a rivet while others appear to be welded.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input guys! I found this listing on eBay and it seems to be about the same thing:

http://www.ebay.com/...-300mm-/351290464739

Is there anything in particular I need to look for in terms of sizing? The set I have seems to fit okay. Can I just measure those and compare to these?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The length is printed on the underside of the aerobar. If that size works for you, just try to replace it.

...from that eBay link, I think 300mm refers to the length of the aerobar. That would represent the shortest length that FSA produced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks to me like you could just replace the clip-on bars in this setup but the picture isn't quite good enough to know for sure. Basically, if you can remove the aero bars from base bar and the aero bars attach to the base bar by clamping around a round tube (26mm or 31.8mm) then you can just buy clip-ons. Should be able to get a good set for around $100. I'm a profile design t1 or t3 fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi toe fuzz,
before you buy another set make sure you are comfortable with the length of your bars. Also, do you know if your base bar is 26.0 or 31.8? Meaning, do your current bars have a spacer to help attach them to the base bar?

I learned the hard way...

I have 2 pair for sale...one used for $40 that are ok, and a bnib set for 75. The bnib are 270mm and 26.0

regardless of whether you want mine or not take the time to get it right, since you are probably going to have a shop wire uou up.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar Help Needed [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I had a bike fitting scheduled for tomorrow afternoon and will run everything by him as he takes care of my bikes.
Quote Reply