Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobar & Extension Upgrade for 2011 Felt B12
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to upgrade to carbon aerobar & extensions for my 2011 Felt B12 (size 48 w/650c wheels). I have a great fit on the bike, was fit by a great F.I.S.T. fitter when I bought it and have only made very minor adjustments, and don't want to do anything to change my fit so I was looking to stay with the Felt Bayonet Aerobars. I'm training for IM Louisville (2nd IM w/40 tri's under my belt so far) and I also use my B12 in multiple mountain centuries so a little less weight (even though it's not much) can't hurt. I'm only 5'3" and 112lbs so losing body weight isn't going to happen - I've already upgraded to HED Jet 6s, cassette, aero helmet, etc. Weight isn't the primary reason for the upgrade - the paint is peeling off my current stock bars and it looks like crap, also I'm a bit worried about rust eventually so instead of spending $ to go get it repainted I figured I might as well do an upgrade.

So looking at the options there's the Felt Bayonet Carbon AeroBar at $899.99 or for $650 I could get the Felt Bayonet Carbon/Alloy AeroBar ($499.99) which has a carbon base bar and alloy extentions and then I could just replace the extensions with the Bayonet F-Bend Carbon Extensions ($149.99). Comparing those two options I don't see much of a difference other than the obvious paint job and aerobar pads that I already have. Am I missing something that accounts for the $250 price difference?

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar & Extension Upgrade for 2011 Felt B12 [f_ahsile04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the full alloy bar but it looks the same as the carbon/alloy bar shown here. As far as I know, there is no way to add any stack to the armpads, there are no armpad risers (if there are, please tell me where I can buy them ;), whereas there are on the full carbon bar as you can see in the image. So you might want to take that into your consideration with regards to your current fit. A reason for the price difference is obvious: the weight. As far as paint chipping, there is some on mine at the stem clamp, and some on the ends near the brake handles but for the rest no worries there. No rust.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar & Extension Upgrade for 2011 Felt B12 [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately it's hard to figure out the weight difference between the two options I'm looking at - as they don't give the weight breakdown of the carbon aerobar & alloy extensions. If I used the carbon aerobar and replaced the alloy extensions with the carbon ones (saving $250) - I wouldn't think there would be significant weight difference as it would be full carbon just like the straight $899 carbon aerobar/extensions. Good point on the risers, though it's not something I need (I like it low).

My paint is peeling significantly - at a guess I'd say around 20% has peeled off or starting to bubble. I could easily scrape it all off with my thumbnail. I've gotten caught in a few rain storms, did IM Lake Placid last year in a torrential downpour and thunder/lighting, and have had a few races where you check in your bike the night before where it rained hard overnight... not sure if that's partly to blame but either way it looks awful.

Elisha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get this bar http://www.feltbicycles.com/...3-Alloy-AeroBar.aspx I upgraded to it after my old bar lost all the paint. The cable routing is ten times cleaner and the range of adjustment is amazing.

Re: Aerobar & Extension Upgrade for 2011 Felt B12 [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't this be a downgrade from what I have now with the stock Bayonet Alloy AeroBar? Looks much less aero.
http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2015/Parts/TT-Tri/Handlebars-Extensions/Bayonet-Alloy-AeroBar.aspx

I'd rather go with a carbon option.

Elisha
Last edited by: f_ahsile04: Jun 29, 15 9:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weight differential is irrelevant for the most part in a TT. Maybe superdave will chime in but the new Bayonet 3 bar test super well in some whitepapers I saw.

Re: Aerobar & Extension Upgrade for 2011 Felt B12 [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd prefer to stay with the either of the two options I presented vice the Bayonet 3 and upgrade to carbon vice aluminum alloy... if I'm going to spend $ I'd rather make an upgrade vice get something equivalent or less aero than what I currently have. I don't want to change my fit and the two Bayonet Carbon Aerobars appear to be the same size/shape as what I currently have so there should be no change to fit/feel of the bars, would just make them a bit lighter and remedy my chronic paint peeling issues.

While the weight may not make much of a difference in a TT, I'm not doing any TT's. Over the course of 100mi with 10-13K ft of climbing the weight could make more of a difference same over a hilly IM course... also since I'm lighter it would make a bigger difference than say a guy that's twice my weight. Again my primary reason for upgrading is due to issues of paint peeling and exposing naked medal and an upgrade while I'm at it to lighter carbon bars makes sense to me.

Just trying to see what the $899 Devox Bayonet Carbon AeroBar gives me over using the setup of the Bayonet Carbon/Alloy AeroBar (Carbon Basebar) and replacing the alloy extensions with the Bayonet F-Bend Carbon Extensions. Both would give me a full carbon aerobar/extension setup but the later is $250 cheaper. Understand that one difference are risers for the aero pads but since I'm comfortable without them not sure that this is something I would use.

Elisha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, the bars are aluminum (I have a 2012 B12 so the same bars) and they don't rust. Aluminum oxidizes though. If you are worried about cosmetics sand off the oxidization (if any), old paint and repaint with a metal compatible type paint. In whatever color scheme you want. That is what I'd do but it is your choice. I'd rather do that and upgrade to Di2 instead with shifters on the bullhorns and the aero extensions for a hilly long ride. The price of the more expensive Bayonet carbon is about what you'd spend on a Di2 Ultegra upgrade anyways.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar & Extension Upgrade for 2011 Felt B12 [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy different sized armpad stack risers (from your Felt dealer). Mine were too high once I switched out the stock pads for Cee Gees and bought 2 sets that were lower than what came with my bike. What came on my bike was a 20mm and pick up a set that was 5mm (or was it 8mm) and another that was 10mm. You could probably stack them on top of each other (within reason) if you had a long enough bolt (I'd probably epoxy the risers together to make sure they wouldn't slip if I did try that, but it might not be safe...disclaimer so don't blame me if something happens).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The DEVOX bar is the lightest set up and both are more aerodynamic in their "leanest" set up than the Bayonet3 bars.
Your B12 uses the same mold as our older DA model but with lower grades of carbon and thus heavier and somewhat less stiff.

The two handlebars you've listed are the same. The materials are different. As you've noted the extensions and arm rests are also different.

I'd recommend buying from a Felt Dealer if you have one nearby.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobar & Extension Upgrade for 2011 Felt B12 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dave, this is what I was looking for, much appreciated. Unfortunatly our LBS Felt Dealer closed shop but I believe we've got another in the area so I'll reach out to them.

Elisha
Quote Reply