Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?)
Quote | Reply
Hey Gang:
I am looking to upgrade to a new race helmet. My LG Rocket is Old and probably causes more drag than it eliminates as it sounds like a wind tunnel blowing through it. So before I get started looking what are the go fast kids buying these days? Price is a consideration, so I will be trolling for a deal as well. But what are people recommending? What is ST approved?

Thanks,
Pete

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can usually find a pretty good deal on the wingspan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got a Lazer Tardiz 2 weeks ago online at "bike wagon" fits great. It was on sale because its the Hawaian edition but that dosen't bother me actually it looks quite nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [zp295] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Giro Advantage 2 seems to test well consistently. It's the most consistent helmet I'm aware of. It's not always the fastest helmet but it's usually within a watt or two and you can pick one up new for $100, less used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up the Specialized Evade and I love it. It gets great reviews too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the illuminati around here seem to suggest that lg rocket is pretty fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
The Giro Advantage 2 seems to test well consistently. It's the most consistent helmet I'm aware of. It's not always the fastest helmet but it's usually within a watt or two and you can pick one up new for $100, less used.

My friend at Zipp told me pretty much the same exact thing here. It's one of the best bang for you buck aero helmets out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Bell a Javelin for $75 new
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
integrator wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

My friend at Zipp told me pretty much the same exact thing here. It's one of the best bang for you buck aero helmets out there.

+1

You can consistently find it on the web for ~$100 new.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I got a Bell a Javelin for $75 new

It has been popping on Chainlove pretty regularly for $69

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd avoid the aero road helmets, they aren't faster than a true aero helmet.

I'd buy the Giro A2. It consistently tests in the top 2 or 3 helmets when people test.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely the Bell Javelin.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Javelin!

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I'd avoid the aero road helmets, they aren't faster than a true aero helmet.

I'd buy the Giro A2. It consistently tests in the top 2 or 3 helmets when people test.

More importantly it seems that it never tests poorly over a wide range of positions and head angles. Whereas some other could be better, but they could also be worse.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't want to hijack the thread but I'm looking too for a competiton helmet for this season. It'll be my first season competing however so I was curious if people recommend something like Giro AA for newbies or should I just go right for an aero helmet? I've been eying the LG P-09, Catlike Chrono Aero, Rudy Wing57 or Wingspan, and finally the Giro Advantage or Selector. Reasonably priced aside which is best for new comers?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used all of the Giro Advantage 2, RP wingspan, Specialized Evade and now the LG P-09. The Lg is way expensive, the Evade is still pricey but tested on me really well. Was never happy with how the Wingspan fit, or rather didn't, fit. And the Giro suited me quite well but did not test well on me.

Personally, I'd go with the Evade.

That said, if you are interested, I have a M Giro Adavantage 2 you can have for a great price!

Jeffrey Sankoff, MD
TriDoc Coaching/TriDoc Podcast
Train hard, train healthy
http://www.tridocpodcast.com
http://www.tridoccoaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Advantage 2 is the best bang for the buck and very fast, as others have mentioned. Wasn't the LG shown to be slower than a normal road bike helmet or something? I think that may have been in the long wind tunnel thread.

I used to use the Advantage 2 and now use the Selector because it's supposed to be a bit faster. I would avoid aero road helmets unless you're not necessarily worried about speed. You're not even really getting a huge venting advantage going Evade over Advantage. But I've never had issues with any helmets, even my Selector at hot IM events. No sense in paying 2-3x the price of an Advantage for an Evade.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [tridoc5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus I like the fact that the Evade looks as normal as a helmet could look.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:
Another vote for the Javelin!

Plus you can get it in this design:

Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People keep saying go with an aero road helmet. That's bullshit.

I predict they'll be a big trend and I welcome it, especially in the M40-44AG. Why? Bc they are faster than a road helmet but slower than a real TT helmet. I love when people make dumb decisions to go fast especially when I race against them. It warms my heart.

I've seen the tests with the aero road helmets on multiple people. Why do you think one of the aero road helmets we had at testing got nicknamed the salad bowl? That was it's best use. It's best use certainly isn't as an aero helmet.

The helmets I've seen test the fastest and not the slowest on the widest range of people have been the LG P09 and the Giro A2.

If one is not going to do field tests or test at the velodrome/wind tunnel one should buy off the trends of what tests fastest for the widest variety of people. At least that gives you the better chance for success.

But if you are racing in the same races I will probably do, please use an "aero" road helmet.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [greatland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I used to use the Advantage 2 and now use the Selector

Several national team riders got in trouble by using the A2 instead of the Selector. The A2 was faster for them. For me the Selector was faster though. with aero helmets what works for one definitely maybe won't work for another.

The p-09 tested as the fastest helmet or second fastest helmet for almost everyone.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With all due respect Brian, the Specialized Evade tested on me IN a wind tunnel almost identically to the LG P-09. Difference was negligible over a HIM.

I understand that is just me but there it is.

As you say, it is likely that a TT helmet will be faster for most users but it is not true to say that this will be the case for everyone. Having seen my own results I kind of wonder whether the differences can be that dramatic from one person to another but I certainly understand that they can.

As you say, the best answer is to get tested but that isn't an option for everyone. If financial reasons dictate getting one helmet for everyday and racing use, an aero road helmet is a viable option.

Cheers

Jeffrey Sankoff, MD
TriDoc Coaching/TriDoc Podcast
Train hard, train healthy
http://www.tridocpodcast.com
http://www.tridoccoaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the RP wingspan and Giro selector, for the price I vote Bell Javelin or Giro Advantage
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [flyrunride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Javelin. Picked one up from Nashbar on sale for $81 shipped.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Helmets (What is good and reasonably priced?) [nikenum9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bell Javelin is my first aero helmet. I like it, much prefer the visor over sunglasses.
Quote Reply

Prev Next