Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Front Bottle Cage Position
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions on how to get my front bottle position further back into the air pocket beneath my chest.

I currently have a TriRig Alpha One with an xlabs cage mounted on the dragonfly backwards in the furthest back position. When I use a larger bottle it starts to poke into that zone but nowhere near as far as you see the top riders bottles extending beneath their chest.

Is there some sort of extension piece I can mount onto the dragonfly of the AlphaOne and then mount the bottle cage on top of to get a few extra cms of reach back underneath my body? It is difficult to see how pro riders are achieving this bottle position because their arms in the TT position are always blocking what they have going on.

Similarly, I am wondering what people are doing to achieve a flatter bottle position in the rear. I read on another thread many people opt to zip tie the cage directly to the saddle but I am hoping there is a more sturdy / long term solution out there that I am unaware of.

https://imgur.com/a/lk2kGG4

Many thanks for the help and suggestions
Last edited by: kdevito757: Dec 29, 23 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Front Bottle Cage Position [kdevito757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup what you're going to need is a bottle cage extender like the one linked. I've played around with putting that on top of the riser or mounting it directly to the BTA rail then putting the riser on for the front bottle.

As far as the rear goes, I find zip ties are always the best solution. Some cages (kappa saddle cage), have slots that are specifically designed for zip ties so they don't get in the way of the bottle going in or out. This one is three zipties or so, and about as flat and tight up under the saddle as you're going to get.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Dec 29, 23 9:58
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Front Bottle Cage Position [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow this is great info, thank you very much Lurker and Ben! That is quite the set up you have going on!

Going to try out the extension piece mounted directly to the dragonfly and then decide whether or not to pick up the BTA riser down the road after some testing. Nice to know it has the potential to fit a double bottle set up in the front with the wedges!

I think I may also opt for the polymount or another BTA computer mount to try and keep head position the same.
Last edited by: kdevito757: Dec 29, 23 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the three slot B-Rad extender and the wedges to make it level. Works perfectly on my Alpha One.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Front Bottle Cage Position [velorunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kdevito757 wrote:
Looking for some suggestions on how to get my front bottle position further back into the air pocket beneath my chest.

This is really funny - as I was just looking at my bike and thinking my front bottle is far too forward and was also looking at options for getting it further back!

Some really good options here so far!

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kdevito757 wrote:

I'd ask why? it's already going to cost you a fair bit of drag to grab where it is. I don't see moving back being any better/worse

kdevito757 wrote:

Similarly, I am wondering what people are doing to achieve a flatter bottle position in the rear. I read on another thread many people opt to zip tie the cage directly to the saddle but I am hoping there is a more sturdy / long term solution out there that I am unaware of.

Many thanks for the help and suggestions

Flat is harder to get out than just positioning it low but upright. Go look at the PTO Dallas coverage. There is a female pro struggling with the bottle.
i can't tell you the number of times when I've been testing and the bottle is placed low but upright total drag did not increase

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply