Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Difference between 40mm and 60mm
Quote | Reply
2 rims (fast forward f4r and f6r) both all carbon, both 1350g (I'll check but very close in weight)

What would be the time difference - ish, over 112 miles at the same speed. hill course, 7000 feet of climbing

Part 2 - roughly how much slower would you be on mavic carbone 60mm which weighs 500gm more

For ease of argument assuming you were riding at 17-20 mph

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Difference between 40mm and 60mm [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
use tools like this:

http://aeroweenie.com/calc.html

If there is not much wind there will be essentially zero difference between the 40 and 60mm deep wheels.

If there is some wind, then you are looking at at something around a minute difference max.

I'm not sure how the aero of the carbone (there are many varieties) compares to the FFWD wheels, but the weight difference would only add a handful of seconds

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Difference between 40mm and 60mm [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, that is what I was looking for

So even the most cutting edge aero finishes now are a negligible improvement on older technology? and the 40-60 thing's a wash I suspect meaning the 30 percent price difference is for about a minute. the entry for a minute - pretty sure that i'll lose more than that in the swim
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Difference between 40mm and 60mm [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well as far as I know the FFWD rim shapes are far from cutting edge aero technology. It's still a narrow rim right? So not the newer toroidal shape, more of a bulbous V shape like most Chinese clinchers.
Quote Reply