Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Acidic vs Alkaline diet
Quote | Reply
Can Twitchisphere comment on eating an alkaline vs an acidic diet to reduce inflammation and thus aches and pains?
Quote Reply
Re: Acidic vs Alkaline diet [M Ernst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you are mainlining baking soda or lemon juice, it won't have any effect. Your body will instantly buffer out any small pH inputs you give it.
Quote Reply
Re: Acidic vs Alkaline diet [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1. The GI tract regulates pH pretty tightly in each compartment, and there are numerous mechanisms regulating homeostasis at the extra- and intracellular level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fake diet with no scientific basis.
Quote Reply
Re: Acidic vs Alkaline diet [frankis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are all the previous replies saying that acid based foods don't create inflammation? Or are you trying to say that an alkaline based diet doesn't change your blood ph? Disagree if it's the first, but agree with the second.

Underground Race Team
http://www.OURtri.org | Twitter | Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Acidic vs Alkaline diet [Badger Time] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm saying both. Let me be blunt. It's all complete horseshit.
Quote Reply
Re: Acidic vs Alkaline diet [frankis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frankis wrote:
I'm saying both. Let me be blunt. It's all complete horseshit.

So the research and results that Dr.'s Ornish and Esstlyn cite and the results that they have shown with their diets significantly reversing cardiovascular disease have no basis in fact?

Underground Race Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can find from ornish and esselstyn (and campbell) is a strict plant based diet. Is that what you are referring to? If not, please post links to the research you have read.
Quote Reply
Re: Acidic vs Alkaline diet [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plant based diet is the same as an alkaline based and anti-inflammatory diet. The basis for their use of a plant based diet is that the food recommendations are alkaline in nature and reduce inflammation which is one of the underlying causes of cardiovascular disease and endothelial disfunction.

Underground Race Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M Ernst wrote:
Can Twitchisphere comment on eating an alkaline vs an acidic diet to reduce inflammation and thus aches and pains?

nonsense

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Acidic vs Alkaline diet [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
M Ernst wrote:

nonsense
Of the ionized water variety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Badger Time wrote:
Plant based diet is the same as an alkaline based and anti-inflammatory diet. The basis for their use of a plant based diet is that the food recommendations are alkaline in nature and reduce inflammation which is one of the underlying causes of cardiovascular disease and endothelial disfunction.

The study in Lancet include the following components:
Quote:
(low-fat vegetarian diet, stopping smoking, stress management training, and moderate exercise)

All of them should be beneficial for health. But the 'conclusion' that the good results are because of changes in alkaline/acidity levels seems at bit far-fetched. The phrase post hoc ergo propter hoc comes to my mind.

"Can lifestyle changes reverse coronary heart disease?:"
http://www.sciencedirect.com/...7369091656U?via=ihub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only by eating an alkaline diet based on your blood type, star sign and somatotype, with no carbs, processed foods, or foods beginning with "p" can you unlock true performance. It's the secret all the pros use.

Buy my book.
Quote Reply
Re: Acidic vs Alkaline diet [Tapeworm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SIGN ME UP! If I do this gluten-free will I be even faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will get better results by injecting diluted baking soda directly with an IV drip in your bloodstream. That can be done. But that's done for a different reason than diet.
Quote Reply
Re: Acidic vs Alkaline diet [alexvpaq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexvpaq wrote:
You will get better results by injecting diluted baking soda directly with an IV drip in your bloodstream. That can be done. But that's done for a different reason than diet.

You mean that we do that to people? Are you suggesting that arterial pH is diet-independent and so tightly regulated that even slight perturbations can cause multi-system organ dysfunction? But what about all of these Alki veggies I'm eating?!?!?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rarely are discussions here so one sided.

I'll ask my question another way. Why the fuck do I ache all the time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M Ernst wrote:

The list of potential reasons is a pretty long one. Is this a recent phenomenon, or has it always been like that? Is the pain muscular, in your joints? Is it when you're moving, when you're stationary? Just in the morning, during or after workouts? Does it respond to any medications? Does it get any better or worse with rest, with exercise? Before you start looking for solutions, you would be best served looking for the source of the problem.

FWIW, your body tries very very hard to prevent your internal pH from varying, and the only times you see much alteration is when you are very sick. Having a high (alkaline) pH means that your blood holds on to oxygen too tightly for it to efficiently leave your bloodstream and enter tissues. This is called alkalosis, and in serious cases, it can and will kill you. However, eating a plant based ("alkaline") diet does prevent you from taking in large amounts of volatile compounds, large amounts of fat and fatty acids, many preservative agents, and other nasty stuff that is found in higher amounts in meat and dairy products. Diets high in animal-based foods can(not 100% of the time, but it can) predispose your body to inflammatory responses. This in turn can lead to many other, more serious disease processes. So a plant based diet is definitely not going to hurt you, and may actually be highly beneficial provided that you maintain adequate intake of nutrients that plants don't have much of, especially protein and B vitamins. But none of this has to do with pH, thats all a bunch of BS to try to make headlines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M Ernst wrote:

You're not wearing a magic wrist hologram.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M Ernst wrote:

Maybe overtraining and not enough sleep? That's a classic problem for a lot of athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M Ernst wrote:

Wouldn't happen to be on Lipitor would you?

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply