Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Absolute Favorite Bib Shorts
Quote | Reply
Well not only bibs but cycling shorts overall. I've got some good entry level and mid range gear but I'm looking to spoil myself for Christmas this year by getting a great high end quality pair of bibs. My requirements are up to 4 hours in the saddle but not frequently. Average ride length of 2 hours (75km), exclusively for riding (not worrying about running), fast drying so I can hand wash and use daily/very often, indoor and outdoor riding friendly, durable, quality feeling.

I have Hincape bibs now which I would consider my 'best' but I prefer the 7mm Ceramico Pad in my riviera trisuit which is why I was thinking DeSoto.

Edit: I'm looking for more opinions on the following 5 pair of bibs. I've shortened the list down if I may

1. DeSoto 2015 400-Mile Bib Short - Integrated 14mm Ceramico Pad
2. Louis Garneau Course Race 2
3. DeSoto Riviera Tri Bib with integrated 7mm Ceramico Pad
4. Assos T.neoPro_s7
5. Castelli Bodypaint 2.0

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Dec 20, 14 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: Absolute Favorite Bib Shorts [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DeSoto all the way. I've been cycling/tri-ing for 25 years, tried virtually every brand out there over the years, and my workout gear drawer only has DeSoto cycling shorts. Once you've used the best, you'll forget the rest.
Besides being the best product, Emilio & Co offer a no questions asked money back guarantee. You can't go wrong!
Quote Reply
Re: Absolute Favorite Bib Shorts [j2k2dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Second for Desoto! Outstanding gear and unmatched customer service......

Hook Em' Horns
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The desoto 400 mile bibs prior to the new ceramico bibs are my all time favorite. I always make sure they are up in the rotation for a long ride. I bought two pairs of the ceramico bibs last year but don't like them as much as the previous iteration, but they are still good, just don't fit me quite the same and seem a little too thick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Vote for the Desoto 400 mile shorts but the Assos S5uno shorts I have come a very close second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to look at Panache. Really nice workmanship, cut and extremely comfortable. AWESOME designs too. They're out of Boulder and do a really nice job designing cool stuff.

http://panachecyclewear.com
Last edited by: ggeiger: Dec 19, 14 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assos S7 T.Cento by a country mile. It's unfair how much better they are than everything else out there (including the S5, Castelli Body Paints, Rapha, etc.).
Quote Reply
Re: Absolute Favorite Bib Shorts [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Assos S7 T.Cento by a country mile. It's unfair how much better they are than everything else out there (including the S5, Castelli Body Paints, Rapha, etc.).

Ditto. I bought a pair of these this time last year knowing the mileage that I would be putting in for 2014. I swallowed hard and shelled out the big $$$ for them and then left them in the box and stared at it for 4 days before finally opening it because I couldn't convince myself $400.00 for bibs would be worth it. But they are worth EVERY penny. I'd actually like to get 7 pairs and wear them every day.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Absolute Favorite Bib Shorts [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference between the two is $83 so you've got my interest here. What do others who've tried the non-Ceramico chamois think? I think it all comes down to the chamois in shorts so this is the deal breaker. I find all my other chamois outside of the trisuit one, feel more like diapers and less like padding. Maybe it's the DeSoto marketing in my head?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Absolute Favorite Bib Shorts [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
Grill wrote:

Ditto. I bought a pair of these this time last year knowing the mileage that I would be putting in for 2014. I swallowed hard and shelled out the big $$$ for them and then left them in the box and stared at it for 4 days before finally opening it because I couldn't convince myself $400.00 for bibs would be worth it. But they are worth EVERY penny. I'd actually like to get 7 pairs and wear them every day.

+3 (1 for each pair of s7 I have)

Expensive,but worth it

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ku-ku penthouse alone is worth the extra $83.

I never use chamois cream and have done dozens of century plus in the T-Cento (415 miles being the single longest ride) and never had an issue. I did 9 consecutive centuries in Mallorca, as well as the 312, and have never felt so fresh. If DeSoto were as good as they claim then I would have heard of them by now. Get the Assos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll throw in the Giordana Forma line and its multiple iterations through the years. It is all I wear now. I want to try DeSoto, Castelli, or Assos, but I always seem to find a killer price on one or two pairs of the Giordana bibs every year.

I haven't yet tried the new Giordana EXO line, which appears to have replaced the Forma.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by cshowe80 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desoto!!

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Absolute Favorite Bib Shorts [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:
Mr. October wrote:
Grill wrote:

+3 (1 for each pair of s7 I have)

Expensive,but worth it

+4 Anybody that loves the DeSoto's will love these even more.
Quote Reply
Re: Absolute Favorite Bib Shorts [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the winter weather, I've been wearing the s7 Tiburu (thermal version of the s7 line)... It's a phenomenal product.

I've ridden in 27 degree weather with leg warmers up to 54 degrees with embrocation... The wide range of temperatures and utter long-ride comfort sets these head-and-shoulders above any other winter product out there.

While ASSOS shorts are not inexpensive, they provide outstanding value (comfort, durability, etc.).

Treat yourselves this Holiday season (and for the next 10,000 kilometers) and enjoy a pair of s7 in 2015.

Regards,
Jonathan

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Santini. Durability, quality and fit is very high. The chamois is flat & thin. Price is amazing when purchased on sale considering what you get which is a premium price point garment at a fraction of Assos & Rapha; in passing I like these products but difficult to find them "reasonably priced".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the desotos bc they were highly recommended on here, but didn't find them much better than your average bib.

The castelli body pant shorts are fantastic. Super comfortable and I've found them to be really durable.

Quote | Reply
Rapha classic bib short
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just another shout out for the Assos. I have a pair of the T-equip s7 and have another pair on order. Assos calls it a "game changer" and I agree. The equip is closer to $200 (from Chain Reaction), which is my price cut-off for high-end bibs. And I still use my S-5s which are about 4 years old. They are mmmighty thin, though, so used only solo :-). I've got Castelli, Giordana, Desoto... But I reach for the Assos when going long.
Quote Reply
Re: Absolute Favorite Bib Shorts [RCope] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you all use these bibs in Triathlon as well (Assos)? (i.e. Ironman Distance racing). Just curious...
Quote Reply
Re: Absolute Favorite Bib Shorts [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I use the Castelli Body Paint 2 Skinsuit. The Progetto X2 pad is fantastic, it just pales compared to Assos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
De soto riviera, smaller pad than 400 mile, back pockets, leg pockets, it's awesome.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had good luck with Rapha and Danny Shane.
Quote Reply
Re: Absolute Favorite Bib Shorts [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the sizing on the S7 T.Cento run?

Not that I'm in a position to buy any...
Quote Reply

Prev Next