Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

About Slowman....
Quote | Reply
I haven't read all the posts and threads about Slowman, from Slowman in their entirety, but I did read enough to want to say this:

Empfield is a guy with an opinion and sometimes an agenda. Does he wield the media skillfully to benefit both? Yes, he does.

I respect that. I repsect the courage and fortitude it takes to have an opinion. I further respect his dilligence in creating informed opinions. He is also a good writer and journalist.

He is not immune from criticism. Never. But he should also be recognized for his initiative and industry, even if it gives you a pain in the ass.

Before you brand this as a "Tom Demerly kisses Empfield's ass" post, let me assure you, Dan and I have tangled and argued and disagreed and been pissed at each other before, and odds are we will again. Same with me and Gerard of Cervelo for that matter. In both cases we keep our differences, and the resolution of them, in appropriate privacy.

However, I am seeing some criticsim that sounds like defamation. I don't respect that.

Whether you agree with him or not (and I have done both), Slowman is a contributor. You're either part of the problem or part of the solution. Most of the time I see Dan Empfield proposing more solutions than creating more problems.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
I kiss Ass [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman is a triathlon god. or at least pretty cool.
Someone want to start a flame war with me? Bring it on.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: About Slowman.... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Tom, Dan's a pain in the ass sometimes but the triathlon sport needs some kind of watchdog that can make some waves at times. Dan backs up his stuff because he races some, goes to a lot of events, takes big financial gambles by putting on events and believes in himself enough to have this website. Also like Tom, I go against the grain with Dan a lot but I think he's fair with his media ramblings.
Quote Reply
Re: I kiss Ass [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan is a silly Englishman. His mother was a hampster and his father smells of elderberries.

Let the flames begin you rodent.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Dan because he pisses some people off and makes others worship him. He is king grand pooba and loves girls much booty.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my money you have to respect a triathlon "personality" who races, someone who is actually in the arena.

Anybody near my age who can run a sub 39 minute 10-k at Nationals has my respect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have read most of the posts. If Dan's objective is to get people stirred up enough to take their vote seriously he has done an excellent job. I voted for the first time this year and I did spend about an hour doing homework. I am not sure this qualifies as an intelligent vote, but at least I voted unlike previous years.

While he did a great job showing what a mess the election process is, he has not done a good job proving his suspicions. Most of the suspicions he floated were well refuted by lawyer Alan and others. Of course giving them the opportunity to voice their point of view was part of Dan's agenda as well.

I am going to hazard a guess that the entire election process will be reformed and that Dan will be responsible for making it happen. How the present mess will be resolved is anyone's guess, but Dan has provided the impetus to prevent future problems.

I have learned a lot about the San Francisco triathlon club and I have a lot more respect for it than previously. They proactively organize, vote, and push their agenda within the arena of ideas and play by the established rules of democracy. Though I tangled a year or two ago with Alan about race transfer rules, I can't blame him for being a forceful and effective advocate and generally prevailing as a result of his intelligent work.

He is certainly more effective than I. He lobbies and helps get people elected while I whine on internet forums.

In the future I will take my USAT vote as seriously as state local and federal elections. I don't believe I have missed a single election since turning 18. I will do the same with USAT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan only made people really think about what this voting business really means, and why everyone should get involved.

One thing I have always known about Dan: he is open and ready for criticism, and graciously receives it. I remember almost making sure I had plenty of ankle to chew on over a letter I had written in response to an article he had published about the C'dale CAAD4 aero frame. He made sure that was what I wanted published in my criticism of how he wrote the article. I think I might have even personally attacked him, which was part of my spirit from days past. He graciously made sure that I did not have my name published with my letter of attack, as I could have looked like a bloody fool.

Even though he has asked the hard questions, he is always fair. He also makes no personal feelings apparent, a feat hard to do. He is a great journalist.

If anything, his posts and articles on the subject was in the best interests of the members at large of the USAT. If anything should be said, it should be a congratulations for making people care about the elections, which I admit made me say "blah blah blah" until I had read about them and the recent episodes that entailed.

Douglas A. Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: About Slowman.... [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have since gone back through a portion of these threads and found them, for the most part, interesting reading.

I learned quite a bit.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any thread entitle "Calling out (place name here)" makes for interesting reading, especially by the publisher of the website. I admit that's how I got so engaged.
Quote Reply
Re: About Slowman.... [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same here, I figured he was on a mission. I figured I would be reading a set up leading to a kill. I don't always think outside of the box or test the unchartered waters, and if something looks good from my point of view well then my thoughts are leave well enough alone. Those thoughts aren't always proper, more than likely just easy, and I realize this. In this instance well enough was not left alone, that would be the easy way. Dan stirred the soup and found some rocks hidden in it, then decided to find out more about the rocks. Interesting at the least.
Quote Reply