Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A little bit for LR, but significant here
Quote | Reply
Please don't flame me here for what seems to be shallow in light of the current hurricane horror. I've scrounging for what I can do to help. But, thinking beyond that whole mess, I was wondering if anything happened in Panama City Beach - concerning IMFL.

Another part of my inquiry is: I figure when the real cleanup starts in New Orleans, they're gonna barge all that sludge out to the gulf. I don't know all the dynamics, but volatile compounds will evaporate, heavier stuff will sink and organic compounds will be eaten up by algae and bacteria. But maybe not since the gulf coast is a well known dead zone due to no oxygen in the water. So is all this (literal) crap going to float around forever? Does anyone think the gulf coast from Texas through the panhandle will be inhospitable to humans attempting a 2.4 mile swim in November?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: A little bit for LR, but significant here [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the crap will float around forever (mostly the plastic and styrofoam) but otherwise your guess is pretty much right on. There may well be an agal bloom for awhile in some spots due to the increased nutrient flow but the Gulf is big enough to eventually dilute and disperse that influx of pollutants. How long? My guess is probably less than a month. Panama City is far enough away that only local effects (within a mile or so of Panama City) would have any human health risk. The damage to the Gulf eco system is another question however.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply