Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ASICS DS Trainer alternative
Quote | Reply
Hi all
I have just heard the devastating news that the DS Trainer has been discontinued and am wondering what my loyal DS Trainer compatriots are moving to? I loved them because of their less bulky feel and now all the shoes seem to have cloud-like soles on them which does not appeal.
What alternatives can people suggest?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS DS Trainer alternative [bigjo_NZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigjo_NZ wrote:
Hi all
I have just heard the devastating news that the DS Trainer has been discontinued and am wondering what my loyal DS Trainer compatriots are moving to? I loved them because of their less bulky feel and now all the shoes seem to have cloud-like soles on them which does not appeal.
Thanks

Noosa? Or Endorphin Speed 3/4?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigjo_NZ wrote:
Hi all
Thanks

hey did a remake on that shoe for the last couple of versions. The shoe wasn't even hitting the lowest projected internal sales figures in any country though so it got killed off 2-3 years ago.

It's going to be tough to replace, the industry has moved away from that sort of style.

You might be able to find the NB Tempo V2 or the Brooks Hyperion Tempo. Both have been discontinued. I know you can still order Hyperion Tempos and the B2B channel has more in stock than the Brooks website.

Maybe the Brooks Hyperion Max. Firmer and not cloud like.

Saucony Kinvara and they have gone back towards the origin of the shoe in the last of the shoe vs the last few editions. They added 4mm of foam to it, it could be on par. I really like what they've been doing with it and, imo, it's opened the shoe up to more runners.

You could try the Adidas Adizero adios 8, more total stack though.

Hoka Mach 5 which should be on sale right now and the Mach 6 which just dropped. You might also try the Rincon and that shoe is moving from run specialty to big box as Hoka tries to expand into the mass market. IMO it's good for Hoka as it introduces the shoe to more potential runners, might be bad for the brand as it cheapens it, bad for run specialty.

you could try the Brooks Launch

Maybe the Mizuno waver rider 27 although that gets you away from the heart of the DS trainer

That should get you started anyway

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a fan of the ASICS DS trainer for a while. I moved to the Hoka Mach. It felt very similar and the weight was also similar last time I checked.
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS DS Trainer alternative [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adios 8 could be a good alternative.
I personally love that shoe.

Up until a few years ago I was only using the DS Trainer for 85% of my training and the DS Racer for all races, including Ironman (marathon).

I personally find it very important to have low stack shoes in my rotation.
We won't stop the overstack hype any more but I appreciate brands that still offer kind of an old-style trainer/racer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've enjoyed the Saucony Tempus. Was a long time DS Trainer user. However, absolutely nothing compared to the Endorphin Speed 3 in terms of all around running shoe. It's not even close.
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS DS Trainer alternative [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Endorphin Speed is one heck of a good shoe.

IMO the only thing it lacks is drain holes from the factory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah the DS Trainer. That shoe entered my training rotation a couple of times. It was a nice (different) feel than the more cushioned shoes in the mix. At some point I realized I was no longer young, light, or fast enough to accommodate having this model in the stable.

None of that really helps you with finding an alternative though. The first version of the NB Fuel cell Prism was low bulk and peppy (like the DS Trainer) but with more shock absorption. Of course, the Prism no longer exists, so it also has that in common with the DS trainer. I tried on the NB Supercomp pacer (which is a carbon plated racing shoe), and it felt a lot like the DS trainer. But, it's a racing shoe, so maybe not what you'd want for training.
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS DS Trainer alternative [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am with Lionel Sanders in the idea that shoes with a plate or rods (I love the Endorphin Speed) make you lazy and weak. I have been training in Altra Escalantes for slow, fast and long runs to build back lower leg strength I lost from training in fast (high rebound) shoes. I like the Escalantes a lot because while they have a low stack height, because they are zero drop they actually put a fair amount of protection under the ball of your foot. Just did 9 miles in them today.
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS DS Trainer alternative [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tedtri wrote:
I am with Lionel Sanders in the idea that shoes with a plate or rods (I love the Endorphin Speed) make you lazy and weak. I have been training in Altra Escalantes for slow, fast and long runs to build back lower leg strength I lost from training in fast (high rebound) shoes. I like the Escalantes a lot because while they have a low stack height, because they are zero drop they actually put a fair amount of protection under the ball of your foot. Just did 9 miles in them today.

It’s interesting to believe that both

1) plates or “rodded” shoes make you lazy and weak

and

2) zero drop shoes are good for you
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS DS Trainer alternative [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s odd about that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, a few ones to look into now at least.
The other problem that I have is I am a US 5 and live in New Zealand where none of the companies bring in my size so can't even try anything on 🫤 Lucky I still have one pair of DS Trainers left in my wardrobe, I shall cherish every run with them.
Quote Reply
Re: ASICS DS Trainer alternative [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Desert Dude -

Any thoughts on a shoe similar to the Mach 5 but slightly more firm? I’m inside on the treadmill quite a bit and while I like the softness in general, the combination of shoe and treadmill is almost too soft.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bigjo_NZ wrote:
Thanks everyone, a few ones to look into now at least.
The other problem that I have is I am a US 5 and live in New Zealand where none of the companies bring in my size so can't even try anything on 🫤 Lucky I still have one pair of DS Trainers left in my wardrobe, I shall cherish every run with them.

dang girl that sucks.

In that size range Brooks or another Asics are probably going to be your best bets. Asics bc they are pretty prevalent in Oceania and Brooks bc they make the most shoes in the smallest sizes.

Some other brands to look at might be On. They used to be very prevalent in the AUS/NZ market but I'm not sure now. Maybe one or two other smaller, more niche brands (On is definitely not niche anymore) that some random running store stocks.

My other suggestion would be anyone you know going/coming from the US/AUS/anywhere else in the world could find you some shoes and bring them back.

My final suggestion is if you know your size & the style I'll order you shoes and then ship them. You'll have to cover shipping. PM me if you want to go this route.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: ASICS DS Trainer alternative [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm you could try the Kinvara, Asics Noosa Tri, Brooks Launch, Brooks Hyperion Max, Kinvara pro (although it's nothing like the Kinvara. IMO adding the kinvara name to this shoe was a way to encourage the kinvara loyalists - of which there are many, to try the shoe)

Hoka Mach X very kinvara Pro like. One of these shoes felt better in the heel and one felt better in the forefoot to me. Ultimately I think I liked the Kinvara pro a smidge better.

Hoka Rincon or clifton both a solid maybe with a nod of you probably liking the rincon better from what you've said

maybe the Asics Novablast but I'd bet against this with a double figure bet as too springy, I've been wrong before though. it's a nice feeling shoe though.

Endorphin shift or Brooks Hyperion tempo - if you can find either in your size. Both would be awesome TM shoes, sad to see them d/c

that should help get you started with some suggestions to take into your local running shop. Give them those, tell what you're using it for and they should be able to tune the list from what you say after trying on a few of the above.

Hope that helps

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply