Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! !
Quote | Reply

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this effort, including Frank, George, Jimbo, Tom 1, Tom 2, Scary Spice, and especially to J-Biebs (his new song is FIRE, btw).

The results everyone has been waiting for are here!

FIRST PLACE

McDonald's Cheeseburger (the one that comes in the Happy Meal)
frontal area: 63.2 sq cm
CdA: .251
watts at 30 mph: 18

SECOND PLACE

Carl's Jr. Original Six-Dollar Burger
frontal area: 78.1 sq cm
CdA: 0.276
watts at 30 mph: 19.7

THIRD PLACE

Wendy's Double Baconator
frontal area: 75.8 sq cm
CdA: 0.322
watts at 30 mph: 20.2

and just some wind-tunnel video of our winner - Check out that Kammtail action!

Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [jackie11111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have assumed the seasame seeds would act as dimples to reduce drag.

So you're saying Zipps dimples are bull shit?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Furthermore, why did you not include a more modern, gluten free bun?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
I would have assumed the seasame seeds would act as dimples to reduce drag.
Pimples, not dimples. Like "trip strips", right?
Same difference.

doublea334 wrote:
So you're saying Zipps dimples are bull shit?
The just announced Zipp 302s are smooth.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The test was unfair from the start. The Baconator is at an obvious disadvantage having to carry all of that extra bacon. What is the point of the test if you are not going to make the recipes as equal as possible?
Go do the test again, this time with the same configurations and the updated sporks. I would also like the see the taco/burrito faction represented.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:

No dimples to hit a price point. It's expensive to make dimples.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
philly1x wrote:

*Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
philly1x wrote:

Wrong. I can make them super-cheap with a dremel tool.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
The test was unfair from the start. The Baconator is at an obvious disadvantage having to carry all of that extra bacon. What is the point of the test if you are not going to make the recipes as equal as possible?
Go do the test again, this time with the same configurations and the updated sporks. I would also like the see the taco/burrito faction represented.

Wendy's went to races and looked at how others were configuring their burgers. The baconator is the most efficient design and saves the most watts compared to the other sandwiches with bacon and chili dogs taped to the top of the bun
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

gluten ~ tubulars?

best thread and replies in a while
Thanks

Last edited by: dsmallwood: May 19, 17 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just...so well done. Thank you, sir. My day is now 25% better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The entire thing is pointless without RAW ONIONS. Why are you holding back on giving us those. We should have them to make an unbiased decision.

I think you're just another profiteer and or charlatan

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not as aero but I fit much better on the Wendy's triple decker.
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dolfan wrote:

The Wendy's Triple Decker was scheduled to be in the wind-tunnel at 1 pm, but there was a really unfortunate incident in the lunch room just beforehand.
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Vincible wrote:

Wendy's went to races and looked at how others were configuring their burgers. The baconator is the most efficient design and saves the most watts compared to the other sandwiches with bacon and chili dogs taped to the top of the bun

Reviewing other food options, Wendy's obviously decided to go with the most common setup, which included a way to incorporate more calorie storage

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackie11111 wrote:
Dolfan wrote:

The Wendy's Triple Decker was scheduled to be in the wind-tunnel at 1 pm, but there was a really unfortunate incident in the lunch room just beforehand.

that was a premier tactical move by the competition.
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multisportsdad wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:
Vincible wrote:

Reviewing other food options, Wendy's obviously decided to go with the most common setup, which included a way to incorporate more calorie storage

You have to take into account how the burger will fair during actual real life conditions -- not just idyllic setups optimized for the tunnel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Baconater would move up a spot if you included in the test the baconbento. It is unfair, like covering a top tube of a bike in open power bars and taped on gels....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EPIC.

I will hoist several fingers of Angels Envy in your honor this evening.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Wait! You forgot one:

BK's Hot Dog with Brown Chili (TM). The new Brown Chili (TM) compound decreases rolling resistance AND it can actually generate negative drag (propulsion!) at certain yaw angles.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: May 19, 17 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

BK's Hot Dog with Brown Chili (TM). The new Brown Chili (TM) compound decreases rolling resistance AND it can actually generate negative drag (propulsion!) at certain yaw angles.

haha gross.

In all seriousness, the engineering and technology that goes into today's fast food is mind-boggling.

For comparison, let's not forget what aero-bricks burgers looked like just yesterday:

Last edited by: jackie11111: May 19, 17 15:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be a big fan of the Carl's Jr burger because they gave me free refills. For years, I mentioned to the cashier that the patty-bun interface was flawed. I tried to overlook the patty slipping off the bun, but last year in Hawaii it slipped out when I pulled it from my Bento Box, and I lost Kona.

Now, they have stopped giving free refills. I can hold my silence no longer. The Carl's Jr burger puts you, or at least your clothes, at risk. I'm with Baconator.

Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
I used to be a big fan of the Carl's Jr burger because they gave me free refills. For years, I mentioned to the cashier that the patty-bun interface was flawed. I tried to overlook the patty slipping off the bun, but last year in Hawaii it slipped out when I pulled it from my Bento Box, and I lost Kona.

Now, they have stopped giving free refills. I can hold my silence no longer. The Carl's Jr burger puts you, or at least your clothes, at risk. I'm with Baconator.

bwah-hahahaha! right after you got your McDonald's sponsorship. classic. you'll never be taken seriously at the food court after this.

man, you used to be about the burgers. SMDH

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackie11111 wrote:
jens wrote:

haha gross.

In all seriousness, the engineering and technology that goes into today's fast food is mind-boggling.

For comparison, let's not forget what aero-bricks burgers looked like just yesterday:

Yeah but look at the clean aesthetic lines of that burger. None of this new sloping/aero bun shaped bs. I'll take this over the new designs any day of the week.
Quote Reply
Re: AERO SHOOTOUT RESULTS POSTED ! ! ! [narcomoeba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but that one requires considerable adjustment to make it fit. You'll have to take it down to your LBS* to have them use their specialized tools, and it might take a few hours. If they'll work on it.

On the positive side, it doesn't have disk brakes.

*Local Butcher Shop

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply

Prev Next