Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
8 Dollar DIY Customized Bento Box
Quote | Reply
I’ve wanted a bento box for my Kestrel for quite a while now, however I did not want a mesh bag or soft case that is a “universal fit”. I wanted something light and solid, that looked really nice and fit the shape of my top tube (which has a slight rise towards the headset) and the angle of the headset. I don’t like zippers, I do like lids; a closed quarters box kind of like the storage in a Felt IA.

Big shocker! Doesn’t exist that I could find for my bike. The Torhans came close with the angle however since my top tube has a slight rise leading to the headset and stem, nothing would sit flush – there would be a gap beneath the box. No options I could find dealt with the design of my top tube.

Bored on a Saturday, I stopped by Lowes.

I give you an 8 dollar DIY bento box, made from 1/8 inch bonded thermoplastic rubber and customized to fit YOUR bike.

Here’s what you need. Most would have this around the house minus 7 and 8:

1. Cold beer (2 at least)
  2. A ruler. Right angle preferably, however a piece of cardboard with a pen and common sense works at worst case.
  3. A pen or sharpie
  4. A piece of cardboard
  5. Box cutter / razor
  6. 5 zip ties
  7. (From Lowes) – Item 37505, Model F40CT1P001: Flexco 4in x 4ft Dahlia Thermoplastic Rubber Wall Base ($2.35 each, multiple colors to pick from)
  8. (From Lowes) – Item 771629, Model 01558: DAP RapidFuse All Purpose Adhesive ($5.48 a bottle)

Step 1: Open a beer.

Step 2: Start taking measurements of your top tube. Find its width, decide the length of your box (my box is around 7 inches. Mark any angle adjustments, for instance on my Kestrel the rise of the tube nearing the headset. Note the angle of your headset in comparison to the top tube so the front of the box can sit flush. Decide on a height, likely determined by the height of your headset and stem. After you finish, measure it all again.

Step 3. Grab your ruler, design the sides first on the cardboard, and make sure the SIDES ARE LONGER THAN THE ACTUAL BOX STORAGE – the idea is that you want them to surpass the back of the box and hug the sides of your headset, measure out this distance. Eventually they will be fastened, these hugged edges protect the abrupt back end of the box from taking wind directly. My attempt at maximizing aerodynamics even though this will all be hidden behind the headset. All other parts of the box but the lid(front, rear and bottom) will fit inside of the sides, so take this into consideration when drafting those other parts (1/4 inch of the complete box width will be accommodated by the width of the rubber on the sides)

Step 4: Cut out the cardboard, tape it up, put it on the bike – how’s it fit? Go back and fix what is needed.

Step 5: Attend to your beer.

Step 6: Using the cardboard cut outs, stencil the designs onto the wall base. One side appears finished, one is more of a grey matte. Pick what you want to be in and out, then keep in mind what side will be showing when you stencil.

Step 7: Carefully cut out the rubber pieces with the box cutter using the ruler to guide the blade.

Step 8: Cut a couple of rectangle slits into the bottom of the sides, same spot and equal size on both the left and right, one near the back and one near the front. This is where you will run 2 of the 5 zipties to secure the box to the frame.

Step 9: Start assembly via the DAP bonding glue. This stuff sets in 30 seconds, a little goes a long way. Get it right the first time, hold it in place for half a minute, it will be strong enough at that point to hold itself. Glue / Bond everything together but the lid.

Step 10: Once assembled, put it on the bike and make sure it’s a perfect flush fit. Make adjustments as needed. Take it back off the bike.

Step 11: Second beer, let it cure for a while.

Step 12: To secure the lid, I put a couple of small holes in the back of the box and equally on the back of my lid. Took 2 zip ties and ran them through to create 2 hinges with the tie lock on the inside of the box. Doesn’t need to be super tight, you want room for the lid to be able to open and over tightening will cause deformity in the shape of the lid, it won’t sit flush. The lid itself stays down and doesn’t open, however to secure a locked position I took a fridge magnet from a local pizza joint and cut a couple small squares. Glued one to the lid towards the front, glued a small cross beam of rubber inside of the box and glued the other magnet there. The lid does not budge and is very easy to access, worked great. Check the polarity of the magnets before gluing them down, make sure they are attracting one another.

Step 13: Cut a couple of very small slits into the extended sides that hug the headset, this will be the 3rd mount location to secure the boxes position. Be sure to measure where you are making these slits so that the tie will sit around a smooth part of the headset, not where a bolt or stem screw may sit.

Step 14: Mount the box by first running a tie through the extended sides of the box with plenty of slack between the extensions. Pop it on the bike, secure the zip tie then start tighting it up. This mount is not there to secure the box to the bike so do not overtighten. When the headset turns, the tie should not. This mount merely locks the box in its place forward not allowing it to slip back on the top tube as you ride. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Cut off access tie material.

Step 15: Run 2 ties through the slits you made on the bottom of the sides to secure the box to the top tube. You can tighten these down pretty good, but too tight on an oval shaped top tube and you will cause bowing outwards towards the tops of the sides. Easy fix to this, glue in a second cross beam of rubber inside of the box to maintain structural integrity. I had to for the Kestrel.

And that’s it.

Sweat all over this thing. It can take a beating, those bonded edges are exactly that, BONDED. It’s not coming apart. Easy to clean, cheap, aero. Looks pretty cool. Does its job. I fit my keys, handful of salt pills, 1 bar and 1 gel on the test ride and still could have stuffed a few more gels in there.

Had a blast building this. DIY!

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Jul 26, 16 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Dollar DIY Customized Bento Box [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have plenty more pics from different angles if anyone needs them.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Jul 26, 16 12:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet! I think I see a weekend project. My poorly fitting, floppy bento on my 2008 (yes there are folks riding bikes THAT old) Felt B12 is really bugging me. Thanks for posting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice!

Like the Do It Yourself projects ......

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome prototype.

Now, 3d print a bunch and if you sell out of those, get them made up in China and rule the world!

Sweet looking result. Well done you!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Dollar DIY Customized Bento Box [lam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lam wrote:
Sweet! I think I see a weekend project. My poorly fitting, floppy bento on my 2008 (yes there are folks riding bikes THAT old) Felt B12 is really bugging me. Thanks for posting.

Pics or it didn't happen! You're welcome, have fun.

Here's an extra picture to help visually explain the "extended sides" which hug the headset, as well as the tie that secures the box in its forward position. I recommend once you put the box on there, making additional trims to the extended sides to fit the contour of your headset and stem - as you see in my picture I had to take a triangular piece of the bottom of the extensions to sit flush where the headset meets the frame.

Everyone else, thanks! Tridork I may need your Chinese connections. Let you know.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Jul 27, 16 6:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad at all. I am not a fan of the very boxy tail, but the rest of it looks pretty good.
(Of course, whether or not it is aero is an open question ... Lots of sharp and boxy edges ... )

However, how long did the whole project take you?
What is the diagram on your cardboard template that is on the far lower right part of the template?
(Looks like it was for a top panel, but I am not sure ... )

Good work! (and made in USA too)
Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Dollar DIY Customized Bento Box [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. The bottom right image is the lid however at first I had planned to secure the lid by bonding it to the box and using a slit top to access inside. The rubber while flexible is pretty sturdy and after a test cut into a throwaway piece, I tossed the idea and went for the hinge / magnet style lid, it would have been tough to access stored goods otherwise.

Interestingly, you can get 12+ feet of rubber again from Lowes that is meant to line the bottom of a garage door that is thinner and would allow this type of top, though it's 10 bucks a roll.

Regarding edges, rounding off corners is definitely possible as well as rounding the back to the frame in oppose to a hard slant, but I'll openly admit I went for the hard slant as I'm currently obsessed with the Argon 18 E-119+ bike and bento box even though at my size I will never fit on that bike (to tall.....).

Shooting you a PM, have another question for you.

Made in the USA indeed :)

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to report the box survived its first 70.3!

What worked well:

1. It didn't explode to pieces, in fact not a single seam popped, opened, shifted, nothing. It is as solid as day one. Beast box.

2. The lid was awesome. Very convenient, I did everything without leaving my tuck on the bars. The magnets secured the locked position, the ziptie hinges worked great. In terms of accessibility, this was very easy.

3. At no time did it shift from its intended position on the bike, and I was hauling ass down R66 - that highway can relocate your anatomy. At one point down a false flat I hit 30mph with the wind on me and was fairly certain death was near as my cockpit was vibrating so intensely, but not once did it budge.

4. Rubber is awesome. I sweated all over this thing, wiped off no problem. Crumbs in the box from my nutrition, cleaned out no problem. Person racked next to me in T2 evidently hit my base and turned my wheel, thus bending the front edge outward where it sat like that baking in the sun for 2 hours.... Within 2 minutes of my bars being straight, the misshaped edge molded right back to the contour of the headset.

But not everything was rainbows. Things can always be better, and here's how that is going to happen on version 2.0:

1. Structural integrity. I glued a cross beam of rubber in on the first box. While this did its job, it did not stop the sides from a slight "bow" shape, especially after taking a beating in the heat. It wasn't bad, but it was not stockin' blockin' (insert throw back Conan joke here). With 2.0 I plan to cutting and gluing in hard plastic shaped to fit the sides via the inside of the box. Think "for sale" sign, 1/16in poly, but only on the sides.

2. The beam that was glued in to maintain structure will now become a full vertical piece of rubber, thus creating a small "compartment" towards the back of the box for pills and tabs. For this race, I broke up 2 picky bars into 8 pieces and filled the box, stuffed a caffeine supplement in the front, then put 10 salt pills in towards the back. My gels went in my tri suit. It was kind of a pain to pull the pills out after the innards of the box shifted slightly.

3. Better aerodynamics. Boxy edges. The box sits on the top bar as of now, however 2.0 will have sides that drop down longer than the box is deep. The goal is t have the box HUG the top tube instead of just sitting directly on it. Then with the front hugging the headset, it really should become part of the bikes natural shape.

4. Better magnet. I really did use a plain old fridge advertisement magnet to hold the lid down. It survived the race, but the "paper" edge of the magnet gave away. Magnets are cheap at Lowes, add 2 more bucks, we're locking it down tight this round!

More pics this week.

Edit: A friend wants me to build one of these for them but also runs cables directly through the top of the top tube. This will be fun as we'll be experimenting with cable placement and more importantly, hiding them. More to come on that as well....

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Aug 1, 16 9:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YouTube video. You'll be famous.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Dollar DIY Customized Bento Box [CrankyNeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Possibly a YT video here soon, also an "instructable" article.

Here is the DIY Bento 2.0.

Problems addressed: Structural integrity, more powerful magnet to hold the top closed, aerodynamics (aka box edges and hard corners.

Image 1: Old box on top, new box on bottom. You would think that the box is now larger, however it has not changed in terms of depth. The sides have been extended on the new box in order to hug the top tube of the bike as well as the headset, this is now hiding the bottom of the box behind an extra 3/4 inch of side rubber.

Image 2: Old box in back, new box in front. You can see they are identical in every way but the size of the sides.

Image 3: Old box on top, new box on bottom. You can see there is no longer a cross beam to assist with holding the structure. A very hard 1/16 poly sheet was used to cut a shape of the side, then applied within the box directly to the rubber which keeps it from bowing. Easier access as well without that cross beam. The magnet has been replaced with a stronger bar shaped magnet purchased from Lowes, cost was 3 dollars.

Image 4: A view of the bottom of the new box showcasing the extended sides.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Image 5: A view from behind of the back of the new box mounted on my Kestrel. Notice how the sides hug the tube, no hard edges.

Image 6: Side view of the mounted box. All edges hidden behind the extended sides.

Image 7: A more forward view shows how the durable, but flexible rubber contours to the shape of my bike. Again, no hard edges and the front of the box is shielded by the headset.

Image 8: View from further out.

I'll be racing at Mi Titanium next weekend, we'll give it the old college try and see how this holds out. A small test ride the other day seemed very promising though I think I will be rounding the back edges of the side so it's not so pointy. I like to hug the frame with my knees when in my tuck and clipping that pointy edge doesn't feel nice when it happens; easy fix.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the Bento 3.0. This was custom built for Quintana Roo bikes with the top tube (directly on top) cable routing. Specifically, for the Illicito. The front 2 inches of the bento allow the cables to route internally through the box while the back 6 inches contain 12 square inches of storage.

How. The right side of the box is held together via a male to female rubber tooth inside of the cable housing, it's actually split down the side. Remove the top rubber grommet and pull dislocate the rubber tooth, it unlocks the side of the box allowing you to pull it apart about 1 cm, enough to get the cables in. Once the cables are in, you realign the side of the box, make sure the rubber tooth in in its groove, then pop the grommet around the cables (it too is split) then pop it back in place on top.

After getting the cables in, one could run sealant on the right side of the box and the grommet securing the side for the life of the box, or until you want it off and decide to cut it. Works both ways however, the tooth holds fine.

This was a 9 dollar bento, had to buy the rubber grommet. Guess I broke the bank.

Here's a small image, below that is a link to the larger image. Side note, I can't post an image here like normal. Anyone else notice this option missing from the post editor?

http://img4.imagetitan.com/...mage=14_bento3.0.png

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very very cool. Well done OP

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is really great. I love it.

Quick question. What is the specific/brand name of the male-female rubber connector you used on the 3.0 build?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Dollar DIY Customized Bento Box [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it, I just bought the xlab stealth pocket 400 and it can hardly hold 4 or 5 gels, this looks like it can hold quite a bit more...
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Dollar DIY Customized Bento Box [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michaer27 wrote:
That is really great. I love it.

Quick question. What is the specific/brand name of the male-female rubber connector you used on the 3.0 build?

Thanks!

Thanks. I constructed the connector out of the same chunk of rubber I used to build the box, which I could get a picture up here tonight for you. Basically one side has a rectangle piece of rubber glued to it that protrudes about 3/16in past where the box is split, male. On the other side, I fabricated a key hole for the male to fit in, female. This is all inside of the area that houses cables.

Bento 2.0 has been on my bike since I built it and posted about it here, it's gone through 3 70.3 races, 1 Olympic, all of my training, and Sunday IMLOU. Hasn't budged. Unless I buy a bike in the future that has built in storage or a specifically tailored bento box, I doubt I'll ever buy one again.

4.0 we're going to play with paint.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Dollar DIY Customized Bento Box [MANDOWN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MANDOWN wrote:
I like it, I just bought the xlab stealth pocket 400 and it can hardly hold 4 or 5 gels, this looks like it can hold quite a bit more...

I like this DIY project, it has promise. But if you need something soon and considerably bigger than your xlab 400, our US-made Speedpack 483 has 33% more capacity and yet is slimmer and more streamlined than the xlab. And, if it helps, just a small sampling of our speedpack and company reviews are here.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job! Now you need a patent on it and your own logo to go on it. Do you smell money?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
Tridork I may need your Chinese connections. Let you know.

Why China? People in the US (and elsewhere) still make things. Especially things that require some customization.

If anyone ever gets serious about doing stuff like this on a larger scale, I'm all ears.
I own a plastics company. That does a fair amount of fabrication. Additionally, I have a part time employee who's an avid cyclist....that I'd like to make a full time employee. We're very good at niche. Mass imports aren't.

I've seen all sorts of DIY projects....disk wheels, bento boxes, aero boxes, mounts, doodads, etc.

A lot of them could be replicated fairly inexpensively.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Dollar DIY Customized Bento Box [CrankyNeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CrankyNeck wrote:
Great job! Now you need a patent on it and your own logo to go on it. Do you smell money?

I thought about it, producing hand made bentos for a decent price, but if there were any demand other than the occasional order my ability to supply would cause a wait list in a snap. It's not out of the question though, place request and leave email, once your number is up you have 48 hours to respond to me before you're bumped off the list, something like that.

Thing is, after making a few of these, I know I could crank out the 1.0 version fast. But the 2.0 took a bit longer, and the 3.0 took me 3 hours of actual work time to build, 4 hours if you count me walking to the fridge, using the bathroom, etc. All 3 versions of the box are crafted to the bike that needs it and are not universal (which is the term that sent me this direction in the first place, nothing sat flush to the form of my Kestrel), so that means each box requires custom attention.

Could pick a number of bikes to service immediately, then expand to other bikes, but again defeats the purpose as I ride a bike that NOBODY is going to make something custom for (Kestrel Talon). The cool factor of producing these would be anyone and everyone could get something custom made.

The success story though on this last box, 3.0 was built for a buddy of mine who is racing LOU with me and he lives in the Chicago area. I could not take measurements of his bike. The build was done via 2 pictures he sent me, a side profile and a top down profile. The top down he had a ruler on, the side he did not but I used visual queues to make my way through and find my 5 point measurements.

So we'll see. Right now I'm just waiting on Greg to invite me up to DSW Chicago for a meet and greet.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
All 3 versions of the box are crafted to the bike that needs it and are not universal (which is the term that sent me this direction in the first place, nothing sat flush to the form of my Kestrel), so that means each box requires custom attention.

I've sussed out a solution for that issue.
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Dollar DIY Customized Bento Box [MANDOWN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MANDOWN wrote:

The beauty of DIY is it can be made to hold what you want. This particular 3.0, the storage area is 1.5 inches wide. It is 6 inches long. It starts 2 inches high and declines to 1 inch in the back. This is where I calculated about 12 square inches of storage space (6 square + about 2 in the slant * 1.5in wide).

In this version, you can fit a few gels in, but not many. My 2.0 is the same and I can fit 2 cliff bars cut into 8 bites each, 10 vanilla wafers broken in half, and 20 salt pills. I call it my Triathlon Trail Mix, my bento serves as a ready to eat buffet.

The number one rule I would say is that you don't extend the height of the box over the steer tube / stem as you would just catch extra wind against the box at that point. But up to that point, the world is your oyster. I already have a 5.0 idea to really show this point.

Let's have some fun:

Say you have 3 inches height from your top tube to the top of your steer tube / stem, and your top tube is 1.5 inches wide, and your cables (like my Kestrel) do not enter on top but on the sides. You make a box 8 inches long, sloping from 3 inches tall to 2 inches tall in the back. That is about 29 square inches of storage. Your gels would fit :)

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Oct 5, 16 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: 8 Dollar DIY Customized Bento Box [aj```] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shoot me a PM if you want.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply

Prev Next