Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
77 year old Time Trialer's Position
Quote | Reply
I've been asked in PM's for a picture of me on my Scott. Guess what - you can't post pictures in PM's, so here is a quick picture taken by my wife.
This is right after coming back from a training ride, so it's not my full kit.

Last edited by: Hanginon: Feb 18, 24 19:26
Quote Reply
Re: 77 year old Time Trialer's Position [Hanginon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks great!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero socks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks better than the vast majority of positions of males half your age.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hanginon wrote:
I've been asked in PM's for a picture of me on my Scott. Guess what - you can't post pictures in PM's, so here is a quick picture taken by my wife.
This is right after coming back from a training ride, so it's not it's not my full kit.

What is the longest you have gone in that position? Looks fantastic!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great position!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone. On race day I wear a skinsuit and calf high socks in lace shoes, with Velotoz covers. The bike gets a disc rear, all the bottles and carriers come off, and a solid 56T chainring for a better chainline to the middle cassette gears. Tires will be what is currently fastest, with latex tubes, 23mm front, 25mm rear.

Races are usually a pure out-back Time Trial, 10 miles or less. I find the whole "go as fast as you can" on a bicycle to be absolutely fascinating!
Last edited by: Hanginon: Feb 15, 24 15:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, look’s great!

A practical advantage of clinchers with tubes over both tubeless and tubular is, that one can easily change to tires specific for the upcoming race.

Scott Plasma 3 is still an underrated but fast frame. We have 2 of them in the TT version. In aero tests on size S frames, but otherwise quit similar setups, somehow more stretched out positions came out faster.
Last edited by: BergHugi: Feb 15, 24 17:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long are your cranks, how tall are you?
Quote Reply
Re: 77 year old Time Trialer's Position [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
How long are your cranks, how tall are you?

Cranks are currently 165mm, and I'm 5' 11" tall. The frame is a medium. Also, it's hard to tell from the picture, but the pedals are old Time Impact = low stack height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, it kind of looks like your seat is too low( I know I know), so if you switched to 155 cranks you could also raise your saddle a bit. Also open up the hip angle a bit more..

Of course this is just all eyeball stuff, if you got on a proper fit bike you could do all that stuff in seconds and try it in several trials..Might get you more aero too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damned impressive. I'm in my early 40s and I'm losing flexibility already.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved that bike. It rode so smooth compared to others of that era. Some of those frame scratches look exactly like the one I sold.

When I did the aero bike shootout I talked with the guys at Cervelo. They told me that that plasma was the inspiration for the P5-3/6. They said their thought process was what happens if you take that frame and stretch it to the bounds of what is UCI legal. they also said the P5x could have been about 5w faster with rim vs disc brakes but that's a different story for a different day.

I'd be willing to bet that the P5-6 and Scott Plasma 3 are probably still in the top fastest 15 bikes you can own with a bit of modification such as running the cables through the Plasma frame .

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 77 year old Time Trialer's Position [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Flexibility, except maybe a little in the neck and shoulders, has virtually nothing to do with it.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: 77 year old Time Trialer's Position [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I loved that bike. It rode so smooth compared to others of that era. Some of those frame scratches look exactly like the one I sold.

When I did the aero bike shootout I talked with the guys at Cervelo. They told me that that plasma was the inspiration for the P5-3/6. They said their thought process was what happens if you take that frame and stretch it to the bounds of what is UCI legal. they also said the P5x could have been about 5w faster with rim vs disc brakes but that's a different story for a different day.

I'd be willing to bet that the P5-6 and Scott Plasma 3 are probably still in the top fastest 15 bikes you can own with a bit of modification such as running the cables through the Plasma frame .
I've been very happy with the Plasma 3 - it's fast and reliable. I built it up from just a frame into a 1 x 10 mechanical. On group rides it's the fastest bike on bridge roll-downs, but maybe that's because of the extra weight I'm carrying! :) I'd like to add a more aero front brake, and possibly a Tri-Spoke front wheel. That' it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been seeing good results with the few trispoke tests i've done lately.

One suggestion I may add is to gain a little reach. Typically adding reach is faster. So far it's worked about 13/15 times that I can remember testing it on people this year

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

One suggestion I may add is to gain a little reach. Typically adding reach is faster. So far it's worked about 13/15 times that I can remember testing it on people this year

Thank You - I will try +12mm's - the extensions are are old Profile Sonic Stryke's, and that's what the hole spacing is.

Actually, I have a theory that agrees with your observations. I don't do TT's with bottles - maybe I should!! My theory is based on the displacement hull speed limitations relative to the water line hull length for boats. Essentially, the longer you can make this seamless shape, the better -

Therefore, someone like Ganna - who is 6' 4" tall with a long torso - has a real advantage on a flat surface when doing something, like say, the Hour Record.
Last edited by: Hanginon: Feb 18, 24 9:17
Quote Reply
Re: 77 year old Time Trialer's Position [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
kajet wrote:
Flexibility, except maybe a little in the neck and shoulders, has virtually nothing to do with it.

OK, OK… Call it mobility.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: 77 year old Time Trialer's Position [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike fit

😎
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

The OG "narrow is aero" trispoke, or one of the newer ones?
Quote Reply
Re: 77 year old Time Trialer's Position [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:

The OG "narrow is aero" trispoke, or one of the newer ones?

The newer ones, a Revolver clone out of Australia called Emtion or Emotion don't remember. Ran 3 to 5 people on it while over there testing and it was fastest for all but one person

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude suggested I add a little reach to my position, so I put a red line in my original picture at my elbow position vs the front wheel hub center. Look back at me, and then look at this, and yes, I know this is a gross oversimplification.

Last edited by: Hanginon: Feb 18, 24 19:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should do the same with hip though - you are much further behind the BB as well. It's something I am looking at with new extensions coming - getting everything forward. Outstanding position btw, it's optimizing it more than anything - 97% of triathletes don't look as good as you do.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: 77 year old Time Trialer's Position [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
You should do the same with hip though - you are much further behind the BB as well.
Not so sure about moving further forward. Remember - I strictly do Time Trials. I don't have to run when I get off the bike, so I don't have to "save my legs". Most of the great Time Trialist's sit like me, albeit they have to due to UCI regs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the great Time Trialist's sit like me, albeit they have to due to UCI regs.//

Well there is your question and answer all in one. Where do you think they would sit if they could?? What do those with the morphological exemptions move, forward or back??
Quote Reply

Prev Next