Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 training for an old guy
Quote | Reply
Sorry for some silly questions (see below) but just started training to do triathlons about 10 months ago.

My past: I'm now 53 years old but ran a 2:28 marathon 20 years ago and was doing 70 miles a week until I hit around 42 years old (consistently at 90-100 miles a week when I did my 2:28). Totally stopped running at around 42 and started racing bikes (just got under 1 hour for a 40K TT two years ago and was generally putting in 8-12 hours a week over those past 10 years on the bike).

Currently: I had no background in swimming so that is where I am weakest. Generally I'm now around 25-27 seconds/25 yards in a pool when I am training and do 3 swims a week for a total of about 4800 yards. Started running again 8 months ago and I now run 6 miles, 3 times a week at about 7:15 pace. I ride 3 times a week for a total of about 100-110 miles on the bike each week (with one 60-65 mile ride). I've done about 5 sprint triathlons over the past year- 5K runs generally around 21-22 minutes (7:15 pace), 20K bike in about 32-33 minutes (22.7 mph) and the 750M swim in about 14-16 minutes (so, I do well at the local age group level but, obviously, the swim sucks and its just the sprint distance)!

My questions: I plan to do a couple of olympic distances this fall and want to work up to a "fast" 70.3 next spring.
1) So, given all of this is it possible to do around a 5:15 70.3 some time next June (I generally have time to train a couple times a day)?
2) If so, what would a "normal" week of training look like given my age, background and current training to achieve something close to that goal? (I understand periodization, etc. but just want a sense of what a typical week might look like and the workouts that would occur during that week).
3) I often see plans where you swim and run the same day and other plans where you swim and bike the same day (does that really matter - I'm not talking about bricks but, rather, two workouts in the same day)?

OK, enough about me - just want some help!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 training for an old guy [kkroemer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You young whippersnappers! I'm 64 and just started this 3 years ago. So, you never are too late.

My only real comment is to your final question. In order to fit in enough workouts in each discipline, you will have to do 2 a day workouts. You need to do each sport at least 3 days a week and more than likely 4 or more. At 4 workouts per sport, you need to fit in 12 workouts a week. So, that is 2 a day for 6 days with 1 rest day.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim a lot over the winter. You can put in a lot of volume without much risk of injury. You may actually improve your swimming along the way. I usually run or ride the trainer in the morning and swim in the evening. Tired legs can effect the swim but that's life. You can use a pull buoy if your legs are really shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
53 is not old. Just get out and do one. Then when you how that went, you can judge for your self how a 55-59 finish will look in a couple of years. That's where the real challenge will come in. Tim
Quote Reply