Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 Worlds Prediction - Men's Race
Quote | Reply
These start lists are long. Will everyone really be there? Plus, there's more women than men. Not fair, just saying.

Wanted to bring attention to one of two times this year we'll see (almost) all of the best toe the line together. Crazy stacked fields on both sides. Let's break it down (women in a separate thread due to length):

Who are your top 5 for men?

Quick Question:
Who got 3rd and 4th last year? The white night Ruedi Wild and the 2008 Champ Terrenzo Bozzone. People forget that.

Quick Notes:
Definitely sucks AB is out of the race due to surgery. Frodo has decided to race a few weeks earlier for what we can only assume is a stout appearance fee. He'd probably be in contention for the win, so why not race? If we've learned anything from these 2, having an Olympic gold medal means you must try to avoid losing for the rest of your career. Cherry pick races you designed or get a flat if you hear Lionel grunting up a hill behind you. Seriously though, what do you think Frodo was thinking when Lionel was shouting profanities after he saw him stalled?

Goes pretty in depth below, but no one is touching Gomez in this race. He won't be first out of the water and he won't be first off the bike, but he'll be right there. He's by far the best runner and races well in the heat. Ran a 30:XX two weeks ago and 70.3 worlds is his priority this year. There are sooooo many contenders, but at the end of the day, everyone else is racing for 2nd place. On the other hand, there are exactly three people in this world who can drop Gomez on the bike and still run, AB, Kienle, and Frodo. One of them is in this race, can he make it happen again?

Let's talk dark horses like 3rd place last year, Ruedi Wild. He's had a decent year, winning 3 70.3s, but I don't even mention him below. Many many contenders with interchangeable names, but it's still Gomez race to lose.

Other notables not racing:
Josh Amberger - learned to run last winter and being a top swimmer and very high W/kg, it's hard not to imagine him in the front pack off the bike and very near the front in the last 10k. Been awesome watching him grow and best of luck to him at Kona?.

Lionel Sanders - Love this guy, but seriously, has anyone told him Kona doesn't have a 20m draft zone? He'd probably be battling it out with Gomez and Kienle if it wasn't for that pesky up river swim. 400W up lookout mountain would certainly reduce any gaps, but we'll be left always wondering, what if?

Andy Potts, Cody Beals - basically most on the ITU Penticton start list. Luckily on the women's side, we have a lot more crossover with women in both events (all 3 counting Kona).

USA Men:
Quite a large contingent compared to just Brad last year and being on home soil definitely helps that. Here are my US standouts. I think only one of them has the chops to place top 5 in this race.

Jesse Thomas - If you follow him on Strava, he's been crushing some swim yardage with multiple 11k yard days. Most of it was with paddles and fins, but I'm sure it still counts. Will this put him in the front swim pack? If he makes the front pack, can he hang on the climb being 180lb? The climb is so early, I'd like to think so. Always a threat on the run. He just seems so happy these days and you need to be hungry to win races.

TO - Such a likable guy. Front pack swimmer, good cyclist, but can he run a 1:10-1:11? He did run a 1:14 in Santa Rosa. His result at Boulder was unchallenged, so maybe he'll surprise us although I think his odds in Kona are much higher. I want him to do well (because 'Merica) but I would say top 10-15 is great for him on the day.

Leiferman - Chris has been knocking on the door a while now. He's like a Matt Hanson who can swim and bike. 2nd to Lionel at Oceanside with a faster run. Any data out there on this Blue bike though? He's my dark horse pick for a top 5. Top 4 on a P5X (fastest bike of all time).

Kanute - He helped AB steal a gold medal at Rio on the bike, and I hope Alistair rewarded him handsomely. Also, how can you not love this guy after the Drinking Episode? Seems to have learned a ton since St. George and PR, but a 1:18 ain't going to cut it here. Front pack swimmer, solid W/kg up the mountain. Expect to see him in the lead group off the bike.

How will it play out?
Swim:
I don't think the current will break up the race for the pros. Thinking to WTS races, most guys can fake it for one lap, and then lose more time on lap 2. The difference here is they can float the back half.
Any break up favors the Australians and ITU guys. Would love to see someone go for it like Amberger last year.
Appo, Gomez, Tim Reed, Kanute, Costes, Raelert, Don, McMahon, Wild, + many other nonfactors all exit swim together.

T1:
Clustercluck

Bike:
Almost wish I wasn't in the race (not to brag), so I could watch live. I think we see the same group + Dreitz mentioned from the swim together at the top of the first two climbs. Would love to see someone like Mau Mendez (Xterra champ, Texas70.3) making some noise early on the bike.
Appo has raced the back half before, ultimately losing to Kienle in 2016. I see Appo or Don trying to make a move on the bike. Gomez, Reed, and several others will be content to leave it to the run.
Last year, Kienle was at the front less than 40 minutes into the ride. Does anyone seeing this not happening again? I say yes. I think he's in the lead at the top of the second climb.

T2: Kienle and Dreitz with a less than 60s lead on Mendez, Appo, Don, Clavel, McMahon, Kanute, and Gomez. Another 2 minutes to a massive group behind.

Run:
Kienle with a small lead, but ultimately I think we see another wet half marathon, like last year. It's going to be hot! People going out too hard and imploding. This is where a guy like Leiferman, coming off slightly behind the group, having paced the bike, can start moving up. He won Austin on almost a 100 degree day last fall, so he's well versed in the heat.
Gomez reaches the lead group by 5k and in the last 10k we see Gomez pull away and win by 45s.

Here's my top 5:
1. Gomez
2. Appleton
3. Kienle
4. Don
5. Leiferman

Who ya got?
Last edited by: iamAERO: Aug 21, 17 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds Prediction - Men's Race [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again good thread, not sure who Ali B stole his gold medal from though? Him and his bro was in a different league to everyone else Kanute or no Kanute!

I'm going with Gomez, interested to see how Tim Don does after getting all these fast times this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice thread!!

1 - Gomez
2 - Kienle
3 - Tim Don
4 - Tim Reed
5 - Appleton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
Frodo has decided to race a few weeks earlier for what we can only assume is a stout appearance fee. He'd probably be in contention for the win, so why not race?

The race Frodo will take part in on Sunday is not a massively large race and organized locally (http://www.allgaeu-triathlon.de/ - a pretty cruel bike profile btw), so I do not believe that the check will be heavy. But travel is short for Frodo, he said all year long that he will focus on Kona (he certainly sees that competition is getting stronger) to get the perfect race done (might have a sponsor arrangement to get extra $ for breaking 8 hrs in Kona) and he also might have sponsor obligations to race at least once this year in Germany. Last, but not least, this race will host the German half-distance national championships. Frodo won 70.3 WC before, but he might be missing gold for national championships ;-)

I will ask him on Sat/Sun if I will get a chance talking to him...
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds Prediction - Men's Race [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I watch this live anywhere?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds Prediction - Men's Race [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Matt Hanson racing? I haven't been paying attention lately and was curious.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds Prediction - Men's Race [nocolonstlrolln] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, he's on the start list. Would love to see any American do well here.

Top American Order Predictions:
- Leiferman
- Collington
- Kanute
- O'Donnell
- JT
- Von Berg
- Hanson
- Chrabot
- Drew Scott
- Adam Otstot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this speculation? Does anybody talk to him and know for sure?

If you think about other sports like football and basketball, players goals and intentions are pretty well known from media sources, twitter, etc. Would love to have this same kind of consistent insight into pro triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a ton of veiled sarcasm in the post. It's designed to make people laugh and help them through the giant wall of text
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Can I watch this live anywhere?

Allgaeu/Immenstadt/Germany? Or 70.3WC? Immenstadt: Not that I am aware of. Not sure if they will have anything like a live blog. Probably not more than just facebook updates...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:

If you think about other sports like football and basketball, players goals and intentions are pretty well known from media sources, twitter, etc. Would love to have this same kind of consistent insight into pro triathletes.

Parts are speculation ("...might"), but at least I know that the race this weekend is a local race, the factor that it will be Frodo's only race in Germany this year has been stressed several times in local tri media and I read in an interview (not sure which magazine) that he will purely focus on Kona to get the perfect race done (which he has not achieved yet, according to his own words). However, overall, it is just my opionion, based on what I picked up here and there...

But seriously, I will take part in the race as well and if I should get a chance, I will ask for this forum's sake ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1st javier Gomez
2nd Sebastian Kienle
3rd Tim Reed
4th Sam Appleton
5th Micheal Raelert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is almost like a fantasy race to be honest. It's a shame AB is out.

There's a good chance Frodo and Gomez break away from the rest of the field in the swim. Not by a lot, but maybe 20-30 seconds. I'd actually be willing to bet they line up next to each other at the swim start.

If you follow Sebi on social media he's been doing a ton of climbing. He's almost certainly the best descender in triathlon. Assuming his swim deficit isn't too large he should lead going into T2.

Run? No idea. Should be a hell of a showdown.

1. Gomez
2. Don
3. Kienle
4. Reid
5. Appleton
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds Prediction - Men's Race [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you mean Appo instead of Frodo? I've got to assume Kanute will be right there as well since he led AB at St. George and is a top ITU swimmer.

Sebi was just over 2min down of Kanute in St. George. Maybe that gap is slightly larger with the upstream? Sebi closed over 2:20 last year in 40 minutes. Definitely think he'll be first off the bike!

Anybody we're overlooking? Who are the dark horses no one is talking about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian Boitano?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
iamAERO wrote:

Parts are speculation ("...might"), but at least I know that the race this weekend is a local race, the factor that it will be Frodo's only race in Germany this year has been stressed several times in local tri media and I read in an interview (not sure which magazine) that he will purely focus on Kona to get the perfect race done (which he has not achieved yet, according to his own words). However, overall, it is just my opionion, based on what I picked up here and there...

But seriously, I will take part in the race as well and if I should get a chance, I will ask for this forum's sake ;-)

No chance to get a word of him. I don't know what it is like when he races outside of Germany. But it has been a massive hype around him at the race in Immenstadt/Allgaeu. He flies in, get's shuttled to the race briefing, races, wins, takes winner's ceremony, some sponsor appointments, tons of selfies and gets shuttled back to the airport.

About the race: Most interestingly, he was not able (or did not want to hurt him self too much) to close a 15 min. gap to Daniela Ryf (women started ahead of men) on a tough mid-distance course.

Last, but not least: Frodo maybe just prefers being the King of the Allgaeu instead being World Champion ;-) Is this what race briefings also typically look like in the US?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic thread iamAERO, great analysis on your end and my very best wishes for your own race at 70.3 Worlds! All the best!

Your podium prediction is pretty spot on and glad to see you mix in Leiferman who I am a big fan of and has been consistently getting better over the years, however, this year he had an injury he has been recovering from, and don't think he will be yet at his full capacity. But keep an eye on him, this guy has his best years ahead of him.

With that being said, my top 5 armchair prediction would be:

1) Kienle: Challenge Samorin was a great indication of where he's at in his season, and that was over a month ago, I expect him to be firing on all cylinders at chattanooga and arriving in superb form for Kona. He wants to be the first 3 time 70.3 champion and I predict he will be.
2) Appleton: a natural superstar swimmer, and he's taken his bike to another level (sub 2.00 70.3) and is running with the very best of them, breakout podium for him
3) Tim Reed: Defending champion and will peak for this race, will be a close podium, but have him for 3rd
4)Javier Gomez: I know, I know. But let's not forget even though Javi won a WTS recently, he is still building to his peak form. HIs injury in 2016 is not a simple one to get back to, I expect 2018 to be a remarkable year for Javi. Just give him some time
5)James Cunamma: He is my dark horse top 5. He is quietly doing all his work in Switzerland over the watchful eye of Sutto, and his recent performance indicate he is building for something big. Kona is his main focus, however, I am sure you will see some fireworks for him

Rounding out the top 10 in no particular order would be: Don, Mendez, Gambles, Raelert, TO
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds Prediction - Men's Race [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Was Leiferman's injury recent? He had an excellent first half of the season.

Great picks. Kienle is so hard to look past for the victory. Raelert also seemed to be returning to form at Samorin and I'm sure he'd like to be the first 3 time champ as well.

One thing to note is that Appo and Kienle raced at Choo 70.3 in 2016. They were together out of the swim and off the bike. They rode together. We've also seen sub 2 hour rides from both of them this year on flat courses. Pretty easy to assume Raelert (and probably a few others) would be there as well. It's going to be very exciting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good points and no, I haven't seen a US press conference like that! Was talking with friends on ride this weekend and we all agreed that pros don't get the same hype here. People care about watching their loved ones race, which is totally fine. I'd personally like to see the pro side built up more to be a spectator sport. Jan seems to be leading the way in Germany.

Frodo looked incredibly lean in the pictures. He's always been cut up, but this was even more so than last year at Kona. Hoping he can stay healthy. But yea, his bike was only a few minutes faster than Ryf's, although he didn't need to ride any faster to win by 12min. Another new helmet as well, maybe testing for Kona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great analysis, and great thread.

I like Kienle for the win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Gomez
2. Don
3. Kinele

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Worlds Prediction - Men's Race [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:
1. Gomez
2. Don
3. Kinele

x2. I think all three guys come off the bike together because Kinele will struggle to drop the field on the back end of the course due to lack of terrain difficulty. He needs a reverse bike course with the climb at the end similar to vegas a few years back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input iamAERO! Really interesting your observation on Chattanooga 2016. It reminded me of an interview on Kienle and him being really excited about heading back to this course for Worlds in 2017.

Leiferman had a sensational beginning of 2017, big fan of his work! He was supposed to race IM Boulder (i was predicting he would not only win, but set a new course record), however, if I got my facts right, somewhere after St George and July he had a setback due to injury. But he no doubt has a great future ahead for him.

Really pumped for this year's worlds. Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
All good points and no, I haven't seen a US press conference like that! Was talking with friends on ride this weekend and we all agreed that pros don't get the same hype here. People care about watching their loved ones race, which is totally fine. I'd personally like to see the pro side built up more to be a spectator sport. Jan seems to be leading the way in Germany.

Frodo looked incredibly lean in the pictures. He's always been cut up, but this was even more so than last year at Kona. Hoping he can stay healthy. But yea, his bike was only a few minutes faster than Ryf's, although he didn't need to ride any faster to win by 12min. Another new helmet as well, maybe testing for Kona?

All I can say is that Frodeno is a Pro from A to Z. Incredible to see how he manages such a weekend and how people respond to it. I heard one guy on the run course saying "I did not believe that I would experience that one day" when Frodo came towards us on the in and out run course. As if Frodo was messiah ;-)

And yes, he looks extremely lean. I am quite sure that he appreciated the relatively warm conditions. It tends to be rainy and cold during the Allgaeu race.

Last but not least, the helmet was by Oakley(!), unreleased yet. I would guess that he will use an aero helmet on Hawaii. The Allgaeu course has just a few flat sections, so aero is not the ne plus ultra. Maybe just some kind product testing or teaser under race conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next