Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Racing in Hoka Tracer or ON Cloudflash
Quote | Reply
So I am moving up to my first 70.3 this June. I have been racing oly and sprint for years and am a relatively quick runner. I am however somewhat concerned with getting more padding in my racing shoes. I love Hokas for training but never used them during a race, opting for my Brooks T7 instead.

Im looking for a new racing shoe for 70.3 now and how is the Hoka Tracer to race in? What about the offerings from ON?

Professional Triathlete and Professional Orchestral Musician. Bikes, Bass, Beer.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Racing in Hoka Tracer or ON Cloudflash [UOTriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love ON shoes. A bit on the pricey side though.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Racing in Hoka Tracer or ON Cloudflash [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To get this in before the herd of the HOKA cult, I second ON. I run in the Clouds and love them. No issues with cushioning, they're up there with anything else I've run it, but way lighter.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Last edited by: way2sloow: Apr 18, 17 9:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just did my first race in the Tracers, a 70.3. I think it's a great shoe for that distance, and I'll likely use it for 140.6 as well. I have a pair of ON that I just don't like for longer runs.

I used to run in the Kinvara, and I think the Tracer is a good in-between shoe (Clifton vs. Kinvara, for example).

I will say, the Tracer has a tighter toe box. I typically run in a 9.5, but my next pair of Tracers will likely be 10s.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did a 2M threshold effort in the Cloudflash. Feels like a racing flat even more than the Cloudracer, which was my go to shoe up to 30K "A" races when I didn't care how beat up my legs got. I'd keep the Cloudracer to everything up to and under a 10K if I want to bounce back right away. I feel that the Cloudflash will be the same way. The Tracer has A LOT more cushioning and does not have the responsiveness compared to either version of the Ons. So, not a racing flat feel and might be a better shoe for a 70.3 or a 30K. I'll probably do my "B" races in the Tracers and my "A" races in the Cloudflash.

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Difficult to answer.
It depends on your weight, habits,speed etc...
ON flash are new on the market. I,ve been running with the ON racer (similar) for the last 3 years (IM). They are light, rigid, dynamic but probably less confortable than others....perfect for me
it seems that the Flash are more rigid and more dynamic. Not sure it will be a good choice over 175lb ....
Last edited by: Dr Sandman: Apr 20, 17 9:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to try out the CloudFlow first.

I'm an On Running convert for a number of years now.

Recently switched to the CloudFlow and find it the most responsive and fastest runner for my feet anyway.

Also picked up the Cloudflash and did a few runs in it as testers. Definitely feels a lot harder as in much less cushioning and support compared to the Flow. The flow is very responsive and the Flash the same or perhaps more so - but I don't think I'd run over 10k in them. Possibly up to half but would recommend the Flow first off as find it so responsive and suitable for all distances.

Almost like the Flow is so good it may be at the cost of the Flash's success!
Flash has bounce alright in the few test runs I did. But ultimately feet felt harder compared to Flow and I'm doing Texas so just using the Flow for now. Will try the Flash over shorter distances ahead.
Quote Reply