Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 Miami 2016
Quote | Reply
Athlete guide:

http://ironmanmiami.com/...-Athlete-Guide-1.pdf

Swim waves posted. Thank goodness I turned 30 this year. I feel for those in the later waves with such a late start.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Sep 26, 16 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Miami 2016 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I'm glad they changed the waves because when I did the race three years ago M30-34 was probably the last wave. I had to sit there till 9 am to get started.
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Miami 2016 [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for those that have done this race before. Is the 1st and 3rd aid station on your left hand side? From past years race video's, you ride on the left lane of US-27 heading north and south. I can only see fitting an aid station on the left side since the right lane is open to traffic.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe they were on the left, which was somewhat odd. I don't remember specifically, but my GPS suggests that I rode on the left side of the road. So I was either making cars really mad, or following the cones.

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Miami 2016 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. So how does that work if I don't grab anything from an aid station but someone ahead of me slows down and grabs something on the left side. Can I pass on the right?

Looks like I need to practice grabbing a bottle with my left hand......

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't recall having an issue, but I was racing in the MPro wave so was really only riding around a couple of people for the first half (lead women and a couple of guys). The lanes are pretty big if I remember correctly, so I don't think it will be an issue for the early waves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, aid stations are on your left so you better start practicing ;-)

http://www.verynooty.com
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Miami 2016 [BigH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, they're all on the left. Most boring bike course in the world. You have a couple of turns through downtown then once you're on US27 it's straight and a u turn. Watch out for the railroad crossings, a lot of people flat there or lose their bottles. Wind is always an issue and the draft packs are INSANE! I'm talking groups of 30 people riding 4-5 abreast etc....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else find this race outrageously expensive? I know it's WTC, but this takes it to another level. $426. Insane.

At least you get another shitty backpack you'll never use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun race. Enjoy.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Miami 2016 [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
Yep, they're all on the left. Most boring bike course in the world. You have a couple of turns through downtown then once you're on US27 it's straight and a u turn. Watch out for the railroad crossings, a lot of people flat there or lose their bottles. Wind is always an issue and the draft packs are INSANE! I'm talking groups of 30 people riding 4-5 abreast etc....

Can't be anymore boring than eagleman.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Miami 2016 [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Does anyone else find this race outrageously expensive? I know it's WTC, but this takes it to another level. $426. Insane.

Yeah this is probably the most expensive 70.3 out there. Isn't worlds next year like ~400 bucks too? I'm chalking it up to: "it's Miami", not necessarily WTC. It's a licensed race put on by city bikes, not WTC.

I actually use my Raleigh backpack quite often. It's been useful for when I got to the beach.

Edit: I think this is the first year registration has been open this late. Usually this sells out in July or August.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Oct 1, 16 14:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
City Bikes is only the sponsor. The race is organized by the same people behind Cartagena 70.3 and Costa Rica 70.3. However, my understanding is that WTC runs the operations, at least in Miami.

It's also expensive because it's one of the few races that it's done within a major US city so I'm sure they have to pay a higher fee than most races.

http://www.verynooty.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:

Crap that's expensive for a half. I think I paid $225 (early registration) for Miami Man next month. And to make you feel even worse, I registered for IM South Africa this morning. At today's exchange rate it came out to $407 entry plus $11 processing fee...so a full 140.6 cheaper than Miami 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Miami 2016 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

Crap that's expensive for a half. I think I paid $225 (early registration) for Miami Man next month. And to make you feel even worse, I registered for IM South Africa this morning. At today's exchange rate it came out to $407 entry plus $11 processing fee...so a full 140.6 cheaper than Miami 70.3.

Price is out of mind....me too, I'd go for Miami Man in November and belive it or not way better organized than WTC and nicer scenario.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Miami 2016 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

I signed up for Whistler 70.3 earlier this week and it was about $170 USD with the 26% discount on the Canadian dollar.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if swimming the course is really actually not permitted prior to race day (on Friday and Saturday)? I'm not concerned about safety, but I'd prefer not to end up heavily fined, jailed, or disqualified from the event. Yes, I know the athlete guide says no, but the athlete guide says lots of things I will ignore.

If not, any other places within walking distance? Perhaps just take a swim up the Miami River? The athlete guide suggests Key Biscayne, as if that's realistic without a car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly don't know. I know you said you aren't concerned about safety but I honestly would be. The boat traffic and jet ski's can get crazy and it's just not worth it.

Key biscayne can be easily accessed via bike. Car requires tolls IIRC.

What bib number are you? Would be nice to put a face with the name. I'm 700.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Miami 2016 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

I signed up for Whistler 70.3 earlier this week and it was about $170 USD with the 26% discount on the Canadian dollar.

Damn that's a great deal. could sign up and pay for most of my airfare to YVR for the same price as Miami

No idea why Miami is so expensive. Other than being in the middle of a big city. Course sucks, to be blunt. And it will likely be the most crowded 70.3 you'll ever do. Transition is MASSIVE
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Miami 2016 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
PubliusValerius wrote:

Damn that's a great deal. could sign up and pay for most of my airfare to YVR for the same price as Miami

No idea why Miami is so expensive. Other than being in the middle of a big city. Course sucks, to be blunt. And it will likely be the most crowded 70.3 you'll ever do. Transition is MASSIVE

I think this is the first year it hasn't sold out. I can't remember if it sold out last year. Regardless, yes transition is huge... or so I've heard.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That can be a problem with urban races like this. It's tough to get in a pre-race spin or swim. I'll likely just try to get an easy run in, probably on the hotel treadmill just for simplicity.

Good luck this weekend. See you there.

Quote | Reply
Yeah.... I live 90 min north of Miami. I plan to get my pre-race ride and run here locally before heading down on saturday. Too much risk in Miami unless you head out super early and I don't plan to get down there until late morning/lunch time.

Looks like its going to be a fast day out there. Headwind on the way out.... flying coming home.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what the water temps are?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Miami 2016 [Chtatton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
non wetsuit. Guaranteed. The coldest its been getting to at night is 78 (air temp). And the weather has only broke in the last week or so.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I honestly don't know. I know you said you aren't concerned about safety but I honestly would be. The boat traffic and jet ski's can get crazy and it's just not worth it.

Key biscayne can be easily accessed via bike. Car requires tolls IIRC.

What bib number are you? Would be nice to put a face with the name. I'm 700.

I agree with this. Do not swim in Miami River. Very sketchy. Swimming off KB is great, and easily accessed by bike (though I wouldn't ride my 10K super-bike there and lock it up with a chain while I swim for an hour). It is hard to get around anywhere in Miami without a car. Toll is about $2.
Quote Reply

Prev Next