Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Arizona [2017]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I will be embarking on the 70.3 Arizona later this year.

In addition to the race reports, how was the
1) Swim
2) Bike
2a) Hilly?
2b) Windy?
3) Run

Thanks in advance for the replies.

- stellar K
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Arizona [stellarkellar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim can be cold and choppy but it is rare. The bike is flat but lotsa turns.
The run a flat with 1 minor hill.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi folks- from the southeast (Arkansas for the moment) and just about died when i went for a 3 hr ride in vegas at the end of August. Did Red Rock Canyon Loop and the hills killed me...mostly because I had zero shade and it was 108 degrees. But, it was a learning experience. I figure that's what the entire bike and run course will be like in Tempe. No actual trees. Is there anything like those hills on the Arizona 70.3 course?? I'm a little worried as two race reports I've read said the hills were more than they were expecting????

Additionally - sleeveless or sleeved wetsuit??

Thanks!
Tammy
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Arizona [Tambo1221] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a very fast short 3 course loop some small hills only. The only thing slow on the bike leg are the 180 degree turnarounds. You are correct about no shade. It wasn't that hot until the run. last year the water was just cold enough to wear a wetsuit. I wore a short sleeve but easily could have gone without a wetsuit at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will see you there!

Tambo1221 wrote:
Hi folks- from the southeast (Arkansas for the moment) and just about died when i went for a 3 hr ride in vegas at the end of August. Did Red Rock Canyon Loop and the hills killed me...mostly because I had zero shade and it was 108 degrees. But, it was a learning experience. I figure that's what the entire bike and run course will be like in Tempe. No actual trees. Is there anything like those hills on the Arizona 70.3 course?? I'm a little worried as two race reports I've read said the hills were more than they were expecting????

Additionally - sleeveless or sleeved wetsuit??

Thanks!
Tammy
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Arizona [Jgill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading that it's hilly. I did Austin last year and that had a lot of rolling hills. Austin's elevation was 1500ft. I am seeing that Arizona is 2200 ish. Thought Arizona would be a flatter course.

Jgill wrote:
Its a very fast short 3 course loop some small hills only. The only thing slow on the bike leg are the 180 degree turnarounds. You are correct about no shade. It wasn't that hot until the run. last year the water was just cold enough to wear a wetsuit. I wore a short sleeve but easily could have gone without a wetsuit at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, I am not sure what constitutes hilly or not. I train in northern Arizona during the summer and that is hilly. The course for the most part I feel are rollers except for Curry Road. When you get to Curry road, that is a bit of a climb and if you are not used to that type of climbing, it might sting a little. There are bridges that cross over the Red Mountain Freeway (202) and Tempe Town Lake that you have to deal with but what goes up must come down. But it will get hot toward the end of the bike and just in time for the run. And there is no shade on the run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Garmin showed only 1200 change in elevation. Pretty flat course. 3 loops with a number of 180 degree turns. Still a pretty fast course even with all those turns. Watch out for all the dropped/launched water bottles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THE RUN IS HOT!!!

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to everyone's responses, ride defensively. The bike course is three laps and there are parts where it goes from three lanes to 1 lane and new/slower riders don't stay right. I've seen people ride 4 wide into a turn. Have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Arizona [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
En route...TriBikeTransport does not service our area...so please, please have some positive vibes that my bike arrives and mostly that TSA doesn’t disassemble the box so that it is damaged.

Fingers crossed!! Rolling with it as best I can!
Quote Reply