Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

5th metatarsal healing time
Quote | Reply
Stress fracture on my 5th metatarsal during SF Marathon last weekend. Yes, I finished. But now on crutches and a boot. Fracture is in Zone 3. Doc says 6 weeks in boot and probably no racing until at least October. Anyone had a similar injury and can say how long until they were back to running?
Quote Reply
Re: 5th metatarsal healing time [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had numerous 5th fractures. All healed a bit different but 6 weeks is about right on average. A few healed up in about 4 weeks when I was really good about not biking or walking too much. If you bike a ton it can add a week or two to the heal time. Wear stiff soled shoes from here on out. No sneakers or soft shoes. Dress shoes and penny loafers are your friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, pulled this thread up from a search. How has your recovery been since August? I broke my 5th metatarsal (landed wrong in a pothole) 3 weeks ago, and had surgery to have some screws/plates put in exactly 2 weeks ago. I am currently on crutches (non-weight bearing) with a boot.

I am not in a hurry to race or anything but just wondering how much time I should expect before I can bike/swim without pain (first) and then eventually run. Doc says 2 weeks more of crutches and "100% by Christmas". Anyone have a similar experience, and have screws/plates impacted your performance in subsequent months/years?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 5th metatarsal healing time [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought an Exogen off craigslist and it totally spead up the healing. I was off the boot and rehabbing on August 25 when I had X-rays to confirm good healing.

I had already been swimming (buoy only) a few days after the fracture and riding the trainer two weeks after. Once the X-rays were good though that's when I went full rehab.

Raced again at a half-marathon on October 2nd. Didn't really feel 100% yet but I could still run 5 days a week, three days in a row. Didn't really feel 100% on the run until mid-October, meaning not tentative on my stride and full speed.

I can still feel that it is not fully healed, and I think the soft tissue has a bit to go as well, but I would say it's just noticeable and not even painful, maybe a 1 out of 10 at its worst.

I am being careful though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Care to share your rehab routine leading up to the half-marathon?

I suffered this injury approx. 3 weeks ago. No surgery, just placed in a walking boot and crutches. I was able to ditch the crutches around week 2 and have been able to get on a stationary bike since. I want to get back to prep for a half-marathon in August.

Right now, I am able to slowly walk without boot. Lots of sensitivity around the injured area but not so much pain. I get x-rays next week. If x-rays look positive for bone healing I will try to slowly build up toward running again.
Quote Reply
Re: 5th metatarsal healing time [waterbaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my normal trail runs and hills with my running group just taking a bit shorter route than the other guys and used my Elliptigo for run strength without the impact.

Once it was healed up it was really the soft tissue taking a bit longer to be 100%. When the bone heals or is healing it is bigger at the break site and I could feel that in the soft tissue and thus in my shoes on the run. Only lasted a few extra weeks and I'd say the pain was only about a 1 or 2.

The Elliptigo helped build up the strength until I was back running 5-6 days a week. I put in a lot of winter miles ahead of the LA Marathon in March. Normally I take off the last few weeks of December but this year I didn't as I wanted to build up the miles on my foot. I've had no issues since and I swear by the Exogen and the Elliptigo for making the rehab as minimal as possible.

Rehab was a first run as a very tentative mile. Just to make sure nothing broke again. Next day 2 miles. Day off.

Then 3.7. Then 4.5. Day off. 5.6 miles. Day off. 6.5 miles. Day off.

Then 3.2, 4.5, 4.5, 5.5. Day off. Day off.

Then 7, 3.2, 6.5, 3.2. Day off. 5.5

Couple days off. Shake out run Saturday, Half marathon Sunday.

That was most of September workouts leading up to the half. Days off were Elliptigo, road bike, or MTB. Swim most mornings. Two-a-days most of September and October and November with afternoons being either weights, bike, or Elliptigo. I do like that thing.

Turkey Trot 10k was a 40:01 effort so I think I had most my speed and stride back by Thanksgiving.

I don't know if the calcium supplement helped but I read it would and so I did take one for a couple of months while healing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the sharing that

I just got the 4-week x-rays last week and the images show a lot less progress compared to what I'm feeling. I thought there would be more formations between the fracture judging by how good the foot feels, but the crack is still visible. Doc advised to wait another 4-weeks before resuming activity. So I'll be going slow until then. Foot feels fine, the odd bend/flex can fire it up a little, but pain is minimal overall. I walk on it with flat, stiff sole shoes. And its fully weight bearing. Stationary bike has been my friend, that thing's been a blessing, going to be bittersweet when I can finally run outside again

I think turning on the foot will be a problem until its completely healed.

Nasty injury, relatively minor but can produce bad setbacks. But you do learn a few things about your body during the rehab/healing process, and it can offer new challenges once you are cleared to try to get back into shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take 3 x 500 mg calcium a day. (don't take it all at once - your body can only absorb 500 mg at a time).
Twin Labs makes a supplement called Bone Support that is good. It's a good Ca supplement with some other stuff in it. I'm NOT into supplements except that one when I had a string of fx in college.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following.

I misstepped running up the stairs at home and got a comminuted fifth metatarsal fracture on March 19. Surgery (plate and 5 screws) a week later. I've been gradually allowed to increase my activity, swimming and riding, and today got clearance to begin running very easily. Wisconsin HIM is in 20 days - I plan to hammer the swim and bike, then jog/walk. Eyes are on the IMMOO prize in September.
Quote Reply