Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
5 hour turbo or brave the conditions
Quote | Reply
My ironman race is in 3 weeks on 27th, tomorrow was planned 5-6 hour ride. The weather here is forecast as heavy rain and high gusty winds.

Do I see what it's like and man up or hit the trainer and ride in my dungeon. Have done long turbo's before but not as close to the race.

Any thoughts :)
Quote Reply
Re: 5 hour turbo or brave the conditions [sra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTFU, get outside. Then once done, get the bike tuned up for race trim.

Unless you're expecting 95+ degree temps. Then a solid basement sweat fest is in order.

Granted, I'm assuming you're doing Placid, and they're due for another epic rain year by my estimation...might as well get used to it!

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would stick to the trainer - its certainly more dangerous to brave it outside (easier to crash or get hit by a car that cant see you), plus (at least for me) its hard to get a good effort in in the rain (or maybe I just suck at riding in the rain). Just my opinion though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the case of heavy wind and rain, unless you can bike in a car free area, I say stay inside. You are just risking injury.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride on the trainer outside and HTFU!
Quote Reply
Re: 5 hour turbo or brave the conditions [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I'm in uk mate, but do expect a warm race hopefully. :)
Quote Reply
Re: 5 hour turbo or brave the conditions [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rain is fine it's the gusts at 35-40mph that get me :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If rain was just the factor, I'd still ride outside.

The wind is what can make me switch to indoor mode. We can get some really strong gusts and with a lot of open farmland I find it hard to focus on my intervals. Not to mention it's a lot harder to hear cars coming up from behind which makes me nervous esp. since they're probably not expecting to see cyclists out on the road.
Last edited by: amos: Jul 3, 14 12:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is to re-arrange your training schedule to get it done on a different day. Just a thought

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be too cautious. But when it gets that close to an important race, I always take the safest avenue. I might gain a little fitness but still have all of my skin.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 hour turbo or brave the conditions [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could use road bike as better handling .... And the next two weeks are planned and looked at a swap but forecast most of weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 hour turbo or brave the conditions [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aslong as I hold same watts it should be a similar work out? Although not so bothered by the weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Desert Dude can answer that better than I. But there upside/downsides to both. You can get an effective and very similiar workout inside. I am sure you have done plenty of outside riding so far in your training plan. Like I said I may be too cautious. I got injured once before an important race running on a trail. Had buddies hurt in group rides. If I get hurt it will be my fault.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sra wrote:
Rain is fine it's the gusts at 35-40mph that get me :)

Heavy rain makes it hard for cars to see you. Like I said, it depends on where you bike.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: 5 hour turbo or brave the conditions [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers mate I like your thinking. Did a nice 3 hour ride yesterday so suppose a day in garage is cool. Although if I was a strava hunter ;) (I'm not :) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sra wrote:
My ironman race is in 3 weeks on 27th, tomorrow was planned 5-6 hour ride. The weather here is forecast as heavy rain and high gusty winds.

Do I see what it's like and man up or hit the trainer and ride in my dungeon. Have done long turbo's before but not as close to the race.

How about a 3 hour quality indoor ride at an IF of ~.85 to .90. It will give a similar training load compared to 5 hours at IM pace but in a lot less time.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: 5 hour turbo or brave the conditions [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So 85-90 % FTP for 50 mins each hour ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride inside IMO. No point risking injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sra wrote:
So 85-90 % FTP for 50 mins each hour ?

Actually 60 minutes per hour;) It's a pretty studly workout but a staple for a friend of mine who regularly is the speediest 50+ biker at the IMs he does.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not the wind or rain that I would be worried about. It's how people drive in those conditions that worry me.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: 5 hour turbo or brave the conditions [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
sra wrote:

How about a 3 hour quality indoor ride at an IF of ~.85 to .90. It will give a similar training load compared to 5 hours at IM pace but in a lot less time.

Hugh

I have done 12 150 minute turbo rides at ~83%. They are very effective but also very, very tough. 5h at lower intensity is easier on the mind (can focus on something else than holding watts) and I find it easier on the legs too, probably easier to fuel during and less intense on the glycogen stores.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One ride outside for 2 hours, then later do 1 hour on trainer and then in the evening do an hour on rollers.....

5 hrs on a trainer is just too shit.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about 1.5-2 hours at 90-95% FTP on the trainer instead. The last hour of that ride should feel pretty well the same as the last hour of your 5 hour ride (probably worse).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sra wrote:
No I'm in uk mate, but do expect a warm race hopefully. :)

Outlaw?

Heavy rain will probably be a good race sim for a British summer..
Quote Reply
Re: 5 hour turbo or brave the conditions [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Another option is to re-arrange your training schedule to get it done on a different day. Just a thought

I would agree, if you had a better day within 48 hrs I'd move it. 5 hrs on the trainer?? eeeeeffffff that
Quote Reply

Prev Next