Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

5K Race w/Jogging Stroller
Quote | Reply
I want to do the Race for a Cure 5K in a couple of weeks. My company even has a team organized. Yay.

The problem: my wife has to work on the Sunday of the race. At this time I can't find a sitter for the munchkin. It seem the only way I'll be able to run is to go with a jogging stroller.

Strollers are allowed in the race, but they request "We kindly request strollers and baby joggers participate in the 1-Mile Family Run/Walk or stay to the back of the 5K Walkers."

Should I start waaaaay in the back of the pack and then try hauling ass through the course, or should I just give this one up and go for an easy jog? I don't care if my chip time is totally different than my gun time. I just don't want to be "that guy" out there.

Oh, and when I say "hauling ass", I mean for me personally. I don't mean to imply that I'm relatively fast or anything. But my guess is that if I start in the back and then run my normal pace, I'm going to be passing people like crazy.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: 5K Race w/Jogging Stroller [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run the race since the money is for a good cause. Start in the back with the rest of the folks with the strollers, most of whom will be planning to walk. Jog slowly for the first few hundred yards and gradually pick up the pace when the course opens up a little. Obviously you won't be going that fast.

If you really need to get a good run in that day, do a training run on your own with the stroller and send in a donation to the Komen foundation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are asking that you not be in amoung the 5k "racers", so if it was me I would not do the race. They aren't asking you to just start at the back if you have a stroller, they want you in the back the whole way.

I got passed by a guy in a Flash Gordon outfit pushing a jogging stroller with his son "Spiderman" and a boom box playing really loud music at a 5k race this past weekend. Thought it was humerous and I didn't care...but in your case, they have requested something and I myself would not go against what they asked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, you have to run the 5km with your team? Or just participate. I'd do the 1 mile, put a teardrop helmet and skin suit on the munchkin, and go for a sub 4 for the mile. That would be a record of some sort.

Just make sure you stay out of the finish line photos of the other competitors - we don't need any of that bs in any race anywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do it. people who have a problem with it are just uptight and probably don't have kids. As long as you try to stay out of everbody's way and are extra cautious at the finish shoot, you will be fine. I normally push the stroller to the side out of people's way, run through the shoot and then grab the stroller.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say convert the stroller to a Shark...

big fin, teeth on the side, etc. Put a small stereo in the stroller and play the JAWS theme.

Start behind the main pack and run people down.
Quote Reply
Re: 5K Race w/Jogging Stroller [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or go for this look - you might be able to clear a path up front...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I helped staff a water stop at a Race for the Cure 5K a few years ago because as someone said, it would be the only time in my life that 35,000 women would want what I was offering. It was an incredible sight watching all those people go by and I learned two things: 1) just how many fingers end up in that water cup before you get it (a lot) and 2) some of the people at the back of the pack are really hammering for all they are worth. To get to the point, it is really like the migrating wildebeests on the Serengeti so whatever you do, be careful. But there are a ton of people walking.

=============================

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you know you're fast enough and can not be intrusive of other runners, go up front. Locally, there was a guy several years ago who could and would finish in the top 10 consistently at the 5- and 10-k distance while pushing a baby in a stroller....so it can be done.

If the route is narrow or you're not going to finish at or near the top of the overall, or AG standings, step it back to the rear and do what you can...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh, how I miss the baby jogger races. Used to have some good battles out there. Go to the front, work that first mile hard and settle in. What is your 5k time? If it is in the 18s you should be OK to start in front. If slower then I would move to the back. Just chain down Elmo to the jogger. The last thing you need is a screaming child because his/her favorite doll just bounced out 1/2 mile back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have kids and normally I am would side with the "finish line bs thread", but if you seed yourself properly and the course is wide enough I have no problem with you racing with a jogger.

I did a 10K last year and was passed by a baby jogger(they might have been doing the 5K) while I was clipping along at 6:50 miles so one can run competitively and safely with a jogger.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second the "seed yourself properly" advice. I did a pretty big race a while ago that had pace markers, and there were 3 chunky moms with no intention of anything but strolling lining up in the 6 min/mile bin 3 across. It is not clear if they made it out alive, and I'm sure that is what they are trying to avoid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can finish towards the front with the jogger, start in the front; especially if it is straight and flat/downhill for the first 1/2 mile. The trickiest part of racing with a jogger is the start. The people to watch out for the most are the younger ones (highschool or less; usually boys for some reason). They tend not to think that anyone with a jogger could possibly be faster than them, and crowd you. If this happens, make sure to very politely ask them for a little room. You will get some interesting looks from them; until after the race starts. When the race starts, make sure to redline it for the first 30 seconds or so to get out in front. This will ensure that you dont accidentally clip someone, and ruin their race. This is a pretty important point, because at the start, there is a lot of jostling about, an it is easy to run over someones foot that is not really paying attention to what they are doing. After the first 1/2 mile, most people settle in to their pace, and it gets easier to cruise without worring about the other runners. Also make sure to have snacks and drink for the little one you are carrying. If more than one, then do your best to give them stuff so that they dont annoy one another. If the little one(s) are talking, make sure that if they say something to other runners, that it is encouragement (no dissing other runners that you might pass; they really dont like that). I think that about covers it. Just be very aware of the other runners on the course, and the other participant that is going along for the ride, and it should be fine.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I was clipped by a stroller during last year's Goblin Gallop 5K. Hurt like hell. There's a reason they request you stay in the rear - it's called SAFETY.

B

"the only normal people are the ones you don't know"
Quote Reply
Re: 5K Race w/Jogging Stroller [HeyB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was clipped by a stroller during last year's Goblin Gallop 5K. Hurt like hell. There's a reason they request you stay in the rear - it's called SAFETY.

B

I am sorry to hear about your negative encounter in your race. No racer, with or without a stroller should encroach on another runners space. What it comes down to is personal responcibility; for everyone. Would you put your foot right in front of another person's foot such that they would step on it, or get tripped by it? I would guess the answer 'no'. A runner with a stroller has the responcibility to make sure that they treat the jogger the same way they would treat their own body...in other words, dont get closer to another person than you would get with your own body (this is further than you might think), and then allow a little extra for saftey. If you can not ensure that you can control your stroller, then if you do start, you should start in the back, and stay away from the other runners. With this in mind, there is no reason why strollers should not be allowed in races.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
I'm all about participation. Too many couch taters in this country. You also seem very responsible so go for it if the race organizers will let you. If you clip another runner, say your sorry and hang up the stroller on race day.

Sweat dries, blood clots, bones heal.
Quote Reply