Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

5'9" on L or XL bike?
Quote | Reply
My fit has recently been skewing longer and longer and upping the stem length is starting to feel dangerous. Based on the numbers that came out of my fit, is seems like the Shiv TT in XL would be one of few good matches that doesn't involve a stem of >100mm, but I would appreciate the approval of strangers on an in internet message board to confirm I am not crazy.

Quote Reply
Re: 5'9" on L or XL bike? [Hook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm... I'm just over 5'9" and I ride a Shiv Tri medium and can barely get low enough on it, with an upgraded (lower) Zipp aerobar and a slightly negative-rise stem. I could easily be riding a small. I know the TT has a lower front end, but I would be very very surprised if a L or XL was right for you.

ETA: your reach in that document is 413. On Shiv TT, reach for M is 405, L 420, XL 440. Stack is the same on all of them.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Sep 16, 14 13:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just over 6ft with long legs, and I have looked at Shiv sizes for me.. Somewhere between M and L. Your sizing is off!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hook wrote:
My fit has recently been skewing longer and longer and upping the stem length is starting to feel dangerous. Based on the numbers that came out of my fit, is seems like the Shiv TT in XL would be one of few good matches that doesn't involve a stem of >100mm, but I would appreciate the approval of strangers on an in internet message board to confirm I am not crazy.

Hard to judge just from numbers, but I personally would be questioning the overall fit.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'9" on L or XL bike? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'11" and a Medium Speed Concept seem just fine, but hte stack is a little high, but nothing a angled stem can't fix. I don't mind a slightly compact cockpit. If you want long, you might to look at a different brand. I think Felt and Cervelo are a little longer.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5' 7" with a long torso/short legs and ride a size small Shiv Tri. I might have been able to make an XS fit. At two inches taller I would be stunned if you needed a bike 2 - 3 sizes larger than I do.

Have you stood over the bike? I would be amazed if you could stand over a L or XL.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6' 2" and ride a 58. You need another fit I am afraid.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'9" on L or XL bike? [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that sizing sounds way out of whack. I'm 5'8" with a longish torso and I'm on a small SC. I tried the medium and didn't feel right on it. A large or XL of any make/model would have been totally out of the question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also 5'9" and ride a L Shiv TT (nosecone version). So yes, you can absolutely ride a L. I think an XL may be a bit of a stretch, but if you trust those numbers on the chart, and they felt comfortable during the fit, then an XL is the right choice (see chart below) If your numbers are, in fact, correct, then even the XL will be a couple mm short for you.

I was previously riding a 54 P2 w/ a slammed -25* stem. Not many options for people riding that low, but also need sufficient reach. My reach was bang-on with the forward position for the armpads (495) and the stack was comfortably in the middle of the range. I could not fit on a Shiv Tri if I wanted to.

The older Cervelo P series should also work for you, as well. Dunno about the new frames, though.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 5'9" on L or XL bike? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look only at stack/reach frame numbers, they do look way off. But that does not factor in the stem. My reason for wanting to switch frames is that I want less stem and more frame under me.

The reach on my current frame is 413, but I am running a 120x6 stem. If you look at the Arm Pad Reach to BB on my current fit it is 474mm.. That is to the back of the pad. Looking at the Shiv TT, the reach from BB to middle of the arm pad on the XL is 495-515mm. Assuming the pad size is around 6-8mm long, that seems like a reasonable fit to me.
Quote Reply
Re: 5'9" on L or XL bike? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You seem to be interpreting the numbers the same way as me. The older Cervelos P3/P4 are also good options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will definitely need the forward facing seatpost, though (your fit notes an effective STA of 80*)

How did the fit feel when they set you up in that position?

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I compare stack numbers of the shiv tt vs. Tri a large does not seem that crazy to me anymore. My medium tri has way more stack than a L or XL tt and stack is the reason a M is right on the edge for me.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 5'9" on L or XL bike? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly.....For riders who can get long & low, the Shiv Tri is simply the wrong bike. In order for me to get low enough, I would need a small frame, but have to put a 130 or 135 stem on it. If I go to a medium, I can't get low enough.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on your pad stack and reach (which is what you should really be looking at), you can't fit a Shiv with the standard aero bar because you can't get low enough. Maybe with their new low-stack aero bar clamp, which drops the pads 2cm. Reach would be on the long end of a Medium if you could get it low enough.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: 5'9" on L or XL bike? [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,
I believe you are thinking of the Shiv Tri is a nightmare/impossible for my numbers. The Shiv TT, however, is what I am considering.
~Alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hook wrote:
Jim,
I believe you are thinking of the Shiv Tri is a nightmare/impossible for my numbers. The Shiv TT, however, is what I am considering.
~Alex

Ah, yes...sorry about that!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a huge saddle-pads reach compared to other measurements unless you are using an Adamo (or Sitero/Tritone/JoF).
And if you are using one of those saddles your effective STA is massive.

If we assume that all is well with the position then Shiv TT will match.
As will Canyon Speedmax CF (reach on the L is huge) with Tri stem, 15mm spacers and pads set in position 4
A few other bikes possible with negative stems.
P2/3/5 58 with 100x-17 and Felt Devox (original) bars works nicely.

My bike is 456,606 - 56 P5 with Devox & 100x-17. However I am 6'4" (position shown in profile)
Quote Reply
Re: 5'9" on L or XL bike? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. I do ride a Sitero saddle right now, I used to ride a more standard saddle and was just perched on the nose. I'm not super far forward, but I do really roll my hips forward a lot which is a big part of why the reach is so long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5-9, numbers are not that far off from yours, and am on a small Speed Concept with a 100mm stem. It is the right size. A medium would be too big, large would not be rideable. Biggest difference from your numbers is saddle height. That seems rather high for someone 5-9 unless you are all legs. In which case I'd expect your reach to then be less -- unless you are riding Superman :-)
Quote Reply