Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
4iii power meter
Quote | Reply
i just find out about this product looks pretty good and think its versatile to perform with almost any crank its out there!

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...duces-precision.html

thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [kontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it. Even more, I like how it's become obvious that this shouldn't be so expensive.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
I like it. Even more, I like how it's become obvious that this shouldn't be so expensive.

Will be interested to see how warranty will work when removing a faulty device destroys it and quality control is now significantly in the hands of the consumer.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watt Matters wrote:
texafornia wrote:

Will be interested to see how warranty will work when removing a faulty device destroys it and quality control is now significantly in the hands of the consumer.

I'm thinking that the materials cost of the unit is actually so low that the company will be able to "eat" any loses incurred by just sending out new units when pretty much anything of the old one gets sent back in to them. On top of that, the types of folks attracted to installing a unit like this are probably OCD enough to do a good job most of the time.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good, I'll certainly be looking into them when released, assuming the price in the UK isn't prohibitive. Would be nice to have power on my commuting bike in addition to the tri bike.

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got really excited when I first saw the announcement yesterday but then I figured out that it will not work with the FSA crank on my bike. The 4iiii Precision will only work with cranks that have a flat back and mine have a curve to them

http://www.jarredscycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [Jarred'sCycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jarred'sCycling wrote:
I got really excited when I first saw the announcement yesterday but then I figured out that it will not work with the FSA crank on my bike. The 4iiii Precision will only work with cranks that have a flat back and mine have a curve to them

You could buy brand a new Shimano 105 crank set for only ~ $115 and still be pretty economical especially if you were currently interested in swapping crank length or to compact cranks

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Jarred'sCycling wrote:

You could buy brand a new Shimano 105 crank set for only ~ $115 and still be pretty economical especially if you were currently interested in swapping crank length or to compact cranks

Hugh

I have a BB30 so it is pretty much either FSA or SRAM. I haven't looked at the prices yet but that is a good point. Even with purchasing a new crank it would still be WAY cheaper than existing power meters

http://www.jarredscycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone bought this yet? $399 I may get this soon, has the option to add one to other side to for L&R (jackmott approved).

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thirstygreek wrote:
Anyone bought this yet? $399 I may get this soon, has the option to add one to other side to for L&R (jackmott approved).

Is it shipping yet? DC Rainmaker got a pre-production prototype that he tested & they are saying that they expect to ship before the end of the year, but I thought they were not going out until November or December at the earliest.

I'm seriously looking at it & getting two pods for dual sided power. I will have to replace my crank because my current Vision crank does not have a flat rear side for the meter to adhere to. I was just going to get an Ultegra 6800 crank to match the rest of my components & stick one on both arms. Hell, even with that expense, I'm still under a grand for true dual sided power.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhh I was on their site and didnt note the Dec 10th ship date! Sorry all!

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Available at Clever Training.com says it will ship in Feb
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [cell1122] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just read DC's site and used his coupon for 10% off for the 4iii at clever training. If you read the comment section on his site, it sounds like dealers (clever training) may have them available in December - same as when 4iii will start shipping. Hopefully they meet the December ship but historically gadgets like this tend to be delayed.

Either way I paid $360 for the power meter and calibration kit. Cheaper than stages and I'm not too concerned about the one leg controversy given how I use it. If it's materially different than my PT and CT, then I can always add one to the other side.

The price sure seems good compared to a PT, stages, on up the ladder to Quarq and SRM.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be getting one, and when I do would like to share a review of it. I am looking forward to testing it's accuracy vs my powertap (or difference?, if any), and would be interested to put it head to head with a spider based crank.

In all case, it would be a mistake to switch from one PM to another without testing both together, since they are not all created equal. That could be worse for training than an "uprade".

Keith did offer 20% off on pre-orders back in Sept, which I could only hope to see again when they are readily available for order/shipping.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clever Training is now showing Feb 2015 estimated shipping date. The 4iiii site still shows Dec 10th though so I wonder if there has been a delay at all.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [tw1st3d5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tw1st3d5 wrote:
Clever Training is now showing Feb 2015 estimated shipping date. The 4iiii site still shows Dec 10th though so I wonder if there has been a delay at all.

Quote:
You can now pre-order the 4iiii Precision via Clever Training. In doing so you help support the site, but also save yourself 10% and get free US shipping using coupon code DCR10JKW! They are currently listed as ‘February 2015′, which is because Clever Training tends to be fairly conservative with dates and under-promises and over-delivers. If 4iiii’s is able to meet the Q4 timeline, then 4iiii’s will be getting those early shipments at that time.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...duces-precision.html

Pain is temporary.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [joelcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clever Training will have units for shipping concurrently with 4iiii's, based on pre-order date.

But, they're keeping the Feb date because quite frankly I'm not convinced 4iiii's will ship Dec 10th. I have little doubt they'll hit Jan/Feb, but as I said in my original post back in early September, I think there's just too many little items (mostly non-technical actually) that'll make it extremely difficult to hit that Dec 10th date. Things like consumerization of the calibration kit, packaging design, getting a spot in manufacturing for both the power meter and the kit, as well as testing/validation of final production samples. At present, I haven't seen anything that changes my mind there yet.

Don't get me wrong - I'm actually not as concerned about the technical side - it's just a lot of process and ramp-up that goes into shipping a product into the channel, and I think that's going cause the delays (but, happy to be proved wrong).

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I emailed 4iiii last week to get the dimensions of the unit to see if it will fit my bike. The good news is, it looks like it will. (And, very impressed with the prompt detailed response). The bad news is that it sounded from their response that the precise final outer dimensions have not been locked down yet which I assume that means they have not started actually manufacturing. They would have had to have started a production run already if they wanted to have inventory for a mid December release. Of course, the case is the easiest part but, it still takes some time to build up an inventory.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't help myself, ordered a PMK-100 from CleverTraining. I'm actually happy that I get to install it myself, don't think a dealer would do a better job anyway. Looks straightforward to me.

What I didn't like though is that I had my card charged now, February is three months away. Wouldn't mind seeing a status update (here or on DCR) every now and then.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious what the current status of delivery is. Anybody here do the pre-order and have any updates on delivery? I see the 4iiii website says sold out (Dec 10 shipment) and next shipment is Q1 2015. Is the first shipment really on it's way or was it pushed back to Q1?

Anxious to see how the early adopters like it before I pull the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DCR says on Nov 27
"I won't really know until I get a final-ish unit in hand. 4iiii's is committed to that happening on/about Dec 10th."
here
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...cision.html#comments
It's only a couple of weeks away, but who knows if it will ship or not. I expect mine in Jan/Feb, from Clever Training.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming 4iii still has not shipped yet? Clevertraining is now saying February.
Quote Reply
Re: 4iii power meter [blackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those waiting like me for the 4iii to be delivered they are now saying they will mail you a box where you send back your crank and they are going to install the meter instead of you installing the meter. Included in the box is a spacer to verify the power meter will fit between the crank arm and the frame. I think I will also get a $50 credit since I purchased the calibration tool.

Time frame is March and they are still working on the logistics of turn around time.

I can send my crank and fortunately pull a crank from another bike to put on my go to training/racing bike.

they have been giving good updates on their Facebook page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Continuing lessons on how not to bring a product to market.
Quote Reply

Prev Next