Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

40mm aluminum clinchers. Aero alloy
Quote | Reply
Hey all,
I've heard about and have read posts on this forum for quite some time now. Just signed up today, and thought I'd share my experience with chinese aluminum aero rims. These are 40mm rims. I got them a few weeks ago and haven't mounted them, but I took a short video of me un-boxing them and examining them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHnNL7rLV_s

For the price, I figured I'd give them a try. Apparently 1510g +/- 10g. Still haven't ridden them.

I had actually bought 50mm carbon clinchers as well, but sold them at a slight profit before even using them. I didn't want to take the chance on them at 185lbs. They looked great, and may have worked well, but I didn't want to risk it.

What are your thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: 40mm aluminum clinchers. Aero alloy [akrievins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They weighed in at 1510?!?! I find that hard to believe since all the similar 40mm alu clinchers (Giant, Soul S4.0, H+SON SL42s) all usually weigh in at 1700g with middle weight hubsets (280-300g)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cost?
Quote Reply
Re: 40mm aluminum clinchers. Aero alloy [nublar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's too good to be true... it likely is. The weight is actually quoted at 1710g (which makes more sense).

$280 (+shipping) does put it at a reasonable wheel option.
http://www.shop-yishunbike.com/...r-road-bike-wheels-2
Quote Reply
Re: 40mm aluminum clinchers. Aero alloy [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shipped to Canada was $370, so not too bad.
Some of the pages on the site say the rims are 1710g, and some say 1510g. Not sure what they actually weigh, but these replaces the Shimano WH-R550's that came on my bike.

They weigh a bit less than the stock rims, and look much better. Hoping the 40mm will provide a little aero benefit as well.

A P3C just doesn't look right with stock Shimano wheels on it! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Felt TTR2 wheelset has been bombproof, even with my fat arse on them.
Lovely wheels, €150 on eBay.de, inc. tyres&tubes, swapped off a new Felt.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: 40mm aluminum clinchers. Aero alloy [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those Felt TTR2 look pretty nice. Assuming you got them used for that price! Glad to hear they are holding up. Much better than the stock Shimano rims most bikes come with.

I just put Gatorskins on both of my rims so they look pretty slick!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if many people out there are riding the Chinese carbon rims? I liked the look and feel of them, but never mounted them and ended up just selling them before ever using them.

Just curious if people have had good expereinces with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
akrievins wrote:
I wonder if many people out there are riding the Chinese carbon rims? I liked the look and feel of them, but never mounted them and ended up just selling them before ever using them.

Just curious if people have had good expereinces with them.
I have not personally used them but working as a mechanic have seen a number of them come in. They are largely a mixed bag, some manufacturers actually take the time and care to layup the rims well and build a solid stout wheel. Others... complete and utter shit. If you pick the supplier well you can get a well built sturdy rim. That said, I've never heard anything good about the braking surfaces and all the rims I've seen are v-shaped. Which provides some aero advantages, but not nearly as much as the more sophisticated shapes available today. You would likely be better off riding a Zipp 101, perhaps even a SRAM S30 (haven't seen any windtunnel data on these yet though).

Interesting note, those aluminum rims don't appear to be totally V-shaped from the pictures. Can you confirm this?

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are Kinlin rims. I have a 30mm Kinlin on a powertap (28 spokes). Bomb-proof. I'll have to look into sourcing some 40's for next build.
Quote Reply
Re: 40mm aluminum clinchers. Aero alloy [joroshiba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't appear to be a true V. Might have a little bit of a zipp like shape to them, but nowhere near an actual zipp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything looks better with fish eye.......
Quote Reply
Re: 40mm aluminum clinchers. Aero alloy [Jackb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackb wrote:
Everything looks better with fish eye.......
Every picture that I can find of these Kinlin rims, they appear to have a rounded blunt profile.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
akrievins wrote:
They don't appear to be a true V. Might have a little bit of a zipp like shape to them, but nowhere near an actual zipp.

The v-shape comment was in answer to you asking about the chinese carbon wheels. These definitely appear to be more rounded, as noted in previous post.

And also, I can attest to the quality of Kinlin rims, good solid training rims for cheap. A LOT of wheelsets from different companies built with them too.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh, yes, got it Jordan. Yeah, the carbon ones were v shape indeed.
Looking forward to riding on these aluminum ones. No worries with delamination of the braking surface on these alloy ones as I've heard some people say with the Chinese carbon rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else have a set of these aluminum 40mm rims? Any comments, concerns?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
akrievins wrote:
Anyone else have a set of these aluminum 40mm rims? Any comments, concerns?
Are you not the person who bought the wheels? How do you like them? As for the rim quality, if they are in fact made by Kinlin the rims themselves should be decent quality. That said, the largest rim I can find elsewhere from kinlin is a 38mm not a 40.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
too cold for me to ride now... never had a chance to get on them. All laced up though and ready to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you confirm they are 40mm instead of 38 as joroshiba stated? I'd be interested in those as trainer wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: 40mm aluminum clinchers. Aero alloy [cannont] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are true 40mm rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I mounted Gatorskins on these rims and have been out for two rides. 75k and a 60km. They are still true and ride very well. Not much else to comment on, but I'll get some pictures up as well at some point.

They look much better than the stock Shimano wheels mainly becasue of the all black colour, and deeper profile. I'm happy with them since they didn't cost an arm and a leg.

That hub is loud, but I like it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How wide are they? Wider/23mm by any chance??

I have a few sets of wider rims and a few sets of the older narrower rims, and I would love to not have to keep adjusting brakes.

Re: 40mm aluminum clinchers. Aero alloy [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are 23mm.

IKnowEverything wrote:
How wide are they? Wider/23mm by any chance??

I have a few sets of wider rims and a few sets of the older narrower rims, and I would love to not have to keep adjusting brakes.
Quote Reply