Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Dev, The only way I'd even be close to a 5:00 400m in the water is if I swam with the current in the river behind my house. My best ever 400m swim is 5:34. However, I can guarantee you that I can go to the track and crank out a sub-70 400m on pretty much any day but I won't be trying it this week since I pulled the trigger and entered the Prince Edward County marathon yesterday so I'm in marathon taper mode until Sunday (although I likely should have been in marathon training mode first!). I'm hoping to crank out a decent marathon with no specific marathon training prep and maybe go to Boston in April. If I manage to bluff my way through, will you believe that I can run a sub-70 quarter?
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You said a 400m straightaway was cool but that was met with some resistance by others, so I'll wait to post results until I can find a track. I am going out of town with my g/f and her family this weekend, but if I can make the trip somehow pass by a high school track I'll jump out...telling them they just need to wait 69 seconds or less ;-)

There a million tracks in DC, no need to wait for a road trip.. in NE there is Catholic University, another at N. Capitol/Fort Dr, not hood. In NW Right next to the metro and NE is Howard University or Cardoza HS by Florida both also not the hood. Cardoza track is not symmetrical oval but will have 400m markings. There are a ton more all over the place. I was on Cardoza not long ago

http://www.fexycoaching.com
Last edited by: slake707: Sep 30, 08 21:43
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to call BS on you dev.

Before you post another reply to this thread, you need to throw down at least 4 URLs where ST'ers have claimed FTP's in excess of 400W (excluding Bjorn & Lessing, if indeed they ever did claim this for themselves).
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm going to call BS on you dev.

Before you post another reply to this thread, you need to throw down at least 4 URLs where ST'ers have claimed FTP's in excess of 400W (excluding Bjorn & Lessing, if indeed they ever did claim this for themselves).
This is Slowtwitch. We don't need no steeenkin' URLs.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [Old and Haggard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok then, i'll settle for ST user names ...
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [drtommy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tommy, this is ST, and on this thread, even you are not immune....winning IMCDA counts for jack....go to the track and give us your 400m time my friend...as for the 400W FTP, OK, I picked the wrong number....,maybe it needed to be 350 FTP, 4:30 mile, 4:30 400...whatever, you get the picture...its all about keeping up with Geb's speed for 400m...so go do it. On this thread, we can't use ST approved interpolation measurement schemes :-).

Allan, all you have to do is run 69 seconds in between 39.8K and 42.2K in your marathon. In fact, we'll give you a bonus since we all know it is really 42.195K and we'll take 5m off your total distance on account of the 39.8K warmup....I am sure you will post a 2:4x this weekend on no specific training!
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [dawhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, seems like I have gotten a bit too much flack for claiming that anyone actually posted 400W FTP EVEN ON ST.

You see, I am a marketing guy and I knew that starting the title of the thread with 400W FTP would create interest in a 400m running challenge. The thread is about seeing who can actually keep up with Geb for 400m. The title was to draw all you guys in, and at ST, like in high school, big FTP or benchpress numbers always rule!!!

As for benchpress, sadly, I never got over 200 lbs free weight. My best was 195 lbs and I can only blame my ridiculously long arms for this pathetic performance....now squats were another story, but no one ever cared about how much you could squat....
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 1, 08 6:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't get anywhere near any of those other segments. I don't think I can break the 400m swim in 7 minutes right now.

But I can get a sub-60 400m. It's just how I'm built and because I spend a lot of time on my legs in the gym.
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, I have to say....go run a 400 and post your time...thinking you can do it and actually doing it are two different things :-). I also think I can beat Norman Stadler in Kona :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW - while I have your ear - is your name really in that order, or is your first name actually Paul?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I said I can, as in, I *did* it a few months ago. I'm not on the track again until Tuesday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a wider grip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Again, I have to say....go run a 400 and post your time...thinking you can do it and actually doing it are two different things :-). I also think I can beat Norman Stadler in Kona :-)

You sounds like a broken record.

But keep playing it man cause obviously there are a lot who are not understanding. :)
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

BTW, the Navy SEALs used to do a 300/3:00 workout (bench press 300 lbs. and then attempt to run a 3:00 marathon)...That's the complete package!

Now that is athletic performance and harkens back to one of my proudest athletic achievements, the sub 0:00 5K at the Dewey Beach Pump 'n Run. A few years back (common ST refrain) I hit Dewey for a weekend of beer (lots) and sex (none) when I learned there was a 5K the next morning. I dragged my hungover ass out of bed to discover there was a weight bench at the registration area. How convenient, I was in my weight lifting phase of life. Turns out every bench press of your body weight earned you 30 seconds off your 5K time. Well, I may not have been the first across the line, though I think I just snuck under 18, but I was the overall winner with a -0:24 total time. Prize: in true Dewey beefcake fashion, a cheap gold bracelet.

I'm also happy to see the Beer Mile making a comeback. It's been 16 years since my PR of 5:18, but I think I may make a run for the world record next year. I've still got the chugging skills and I know I can get that mile time back down there.

Time for some results in this challenge. I'll get Flanagan to the track and we'll both hobble around sub 70 and then go celebrate with a steak dinner and talk about how great we are.
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"On my track days I warm up for a mile and then do 8x400m at a about a 1:07 pace. FWIW I am 1:25 half marathon runner."

Dude, you need to stop doing 8x400m workouts and start doing more tempo/long runs. According to Daniels, 67s for an R pace workout like 8x400m would be suitable for a 1:11 half marathoner.
Well then somethings up. I mean that doesnt kill me to run that in training, it hurts but doesnt kill me. I am sort of guessing about the 1:25 half marathon. I am figuring that off my 1:34 half marathon at my last HIM. The last half marathon race I did was in April and I ran a 1:33.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dev, what's the fascination with a sub 70 400m? that's a bad high school girl's time. anyone who has a track background should be able to bang one out even completely out of shape. sub 60 is another story after many years of no track work. i would be much more interested in who still has sub 60 speed left after years of endurance training.
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
dev, what's the fascination with a sub 70 400m? that's a bad high school girl's time. anyone who has a track background should be able to bang one out even completely out of shape. sub 60 is another story after many years of no track work. i would be much more interested in who still has sub 60 speed left after years of endurance training.

That got me thinking, so I looked up the US rankings for the 50-54 AG in the 400. Lo! and behold, the #1 time is 53.8 held by one James Lofton. He was a top runner at Stanford way back when, and also of course a Pro football Hall of Famer.

Also in that list at #9 is someone from my current home town in NJ, at 55.3 (run at our HS track). Small world.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, as much i despise marketing i respect it, so you're forgiven, mostly. one condition though: from now on, you will never use Watts as a single measure of power again on ST. all your future posts will use a pairing of (W, W/kg) whenever referencing power, and you will encourage everyone else to do the same. k? :)

this way we'll know to take you on the flats and bomb it before the climbs, or vice versa.
Quote Reply
Re: 400W FTP/Sub 4:30 mile/Sub 4:30 400m.....Run sub 70 second 400m challenge [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly my point...there is lots of hot air on ST, but most could not keep up with Geb for 400m, which also happens to equate to the 'bad high school girl's time".

Ken, thanks for the post about James Lofton, pretty studly to pull that off in your 50's after being banged up from a hall of fame pro football career. I was amazed to see that he was also an NCAA long jump champion!

From wikipedia:

Lofton won the long jump at the 1978 NCAA Track & Field Championships with a wind-aided jump of 26 feet 11¾ inches.

Unreal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. I read what people can do and I feel like I should be coming in last in all my races, yet time and time again, there is always at least one person behind me. ;-)

I posted on the other thread that I could keep up with Geb for 2 miles. BS? maybe. You called us all on it.

I have a race this weekend, so I'm not going to try 2 miles, but you only asked for 1x400m at 70.

I'm in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Exactly my point...there is lots of hot air on ST, but most could not keep up with Geb for 400m, which also happens to equate to the 'bad high school girl's time".

Ken, thanks for the post about James Lofton, pretty studly to pull that off in your 50's after being banged up from a hall of fame pro football career. I was amazed to see that he was also an NCAA long jump champion!

From wikipedia:

Lofton won the long jump at the 1978 NCAA Track & Field Championships with a wind-aided jump of 26 feet 11¾ inches.

Unreal!
IIRC, he won the Pan-American games LJ on the final jump of his career (excepting masters T&F), hitting exactly 27'.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
dev, what's the fascination with a sub 70 400m?

*Sigh*

This is Haile G's FMP (Fucking Marathon Pace).

Quote | Reply
here is the US high school girl's list from 2008:

52.83i
Nadonnia Rodriques (Boys & Girls, Brooklyn)

**Ebony Eutsey (Southridge, Miami)

Meshawn Graham (Bowsher, Toledo, Oh)

***Akawkaw Ndipagbor (Poly, Long Beach)

53.39(A)
Natalie Stewart (Spanish Fork, Ut)

*Lanie Whittaker (Washington, Miami)

**Briana Nelson (J.L. Mann, Greenville, SC)

*Jasmine Joseph (Poly, Long Beach)

*Kendra Chambers (Hanks, El Paso)

Diamond Richardson (DeSoto, Tx)
it's pretty comically that guys on here are peacocking that they can run a 70, when there are high school girls who would be done while they still are in the middle of the 2nd turn!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love how the salient point of your post has been proved over and over and over and over and over and over and over (and so forth) again in this thread.

-----------------------------------
team website: http://snappletriteam.com/

team blog: http://snappletriteam.com/?page_id=10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Public Record and a fact; beat this...

2 minutes - 115 pushups (real ones)
roll over...
2 minutes - 113 situps (real ones)
get up...
2 miles - 10:03...

cheers, have fun (btw, could do it every day, any time - age 35 to 38)

"you know, aero trumps training ;-) "
R10C 10/09
Quote Reply

Prev Next