Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

3rd brake lever
Quote | Reply
Hi all, does anyone have experience on the 3rd brake (rear) lever that mounts below your shifter.
Good or bad? how difficult to install? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd brake lever [danimel59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the best idea, while in aero you have very little weight over the rear wheel, likely to fishtail, which is unrecoverable in aero.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run PR's: 18:05 - 36:58 - 1:22:59 - 3:07

Quote Reply
Re: 3rd brake lever [umcade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, what about on the front brake?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy endo for same reasons.

You're much, much, much better off just practicing your bike handling and knowing when to be on the bars vs the extensions. Not to mention this will require some kind of brake splitting system which are always messy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
danimel59 wrote:
Hi all, does anyone have experience on the 3rd brake (rear) lever that mounts below your shifter.

Actually, I find an auxiliary rear brake lever to be VERY useful. Just understand the intent of it is to scrub speed without having to get out of the extensions, NOT for heavy braking needed to come to a stop or avoid obstacles.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one just to bleed off speed but eventually removed it as I didn't use it as much as I thought. It's not hard to install assuming you are not a newb with tools, bike maintenance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG... very bad idea. The only time you need this would be an emergency when braking hard... when braking hard you need rear weight distribution and a wide hand position for control.

If you are riding in a situation where you are likely to need to hit the brakes hard (traffic, crossroads, etc)... then get out of the aero position as mentioned above. Learn when you shouldn't be aero. If traffic and road condition suck that much, find a better road or tiem of day or ride the trainer... or get a road bike.

You first option on a bicycle should be to avoid, not brake. 2 wheeled vehicles can get pretty unstable when braking.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd brake lever [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
danimel59 wrote:

Actually, I find an auxiliary rear brake lever to be VERY useful. Just understand the intent of it is to scrub speed without having to get out of the extensions, NOT for heavy braking needed to come to a stop or avoid obstacles.

If you need to scrub speed, then I presume you are going too fast, so why are you in aero? Sit up and get some wind braking and have your hands where you can effectively brake.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
umcade wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
danimel59 wrote:

If you need to scrub speed, then I presume you are going too fast, so why are you in aero? Sit up and get some wind braking and have your hands where you can effectively brake.

Mostly for taking corners at the proper entry speed. Being able to stay in the aerobars, and being comfortable with that, is faster.

Quote Reply
Re: 3rd brake lever [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
umcade wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
danimel59 wrote:

Mostly for taking corners at the proper entry speed. Being able to stay in the aerobars, and being comfortable with that, is faster.

If you really pushing the handling limits of the bike that you can't pedal anyway due to ground clearance, so sit up and relax for a moment.

I'm curious what races you do where road smoothness and visibility are so good that you can corner hard enough in aero to "Need" to scrub off speed? Every I've done, the faster corners have questionable sight lines and road surfaces (pavement cracks, seams, transitions). There are quite a few where I will stay aero. It's not like it's a criterium where you know the cornes have been swept and you get a few warm-up/sighting laps.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 3rd brake lever [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
umcade wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
danimel59 wrote:

If you really pushing the handling limits of the bike that you can't pedal anyway due to ground clearance, so sit up and relax for a moment.

I'm curious what races you do where road smoothness and visibility are so good that you can corner hard enough in aero to "Need" to scrub off speed? Every I've done, the faster corners have questionable sight lines and road surfaces (pavement cracks, seams, transitions). There are quite a few where I will stay aero. It's not like it's a criterium where you know the cornes have been swept and you get a few warm-up/sighting laps.

Here's an example from before utilizing a 3rd brake, where it was corners like this that made me wish for a bit more "security". This turn is taken at the bottom of a small hill:

In the end, what it comes down to is that I've tried it both ways, and I prefer what the 3rd lever offers, fully understanding it's not intended for heavy braking.

Of course, since I use CX bar top levers inside the "loops" of my 100K bar anyway, adding a 3rd lever is pretty easy ;-)

Last edited by: Tom A.: Aug 28, 14 14:44
Quote Reply