Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman
Quote | Reply
It is amazing how big the sport seems when involved in some way, but in reality, it is invisible to the world.

Vancouver Sun.

Quote | Reply
Your sports section is 32 pages???

Crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems longer than usual. Lots of coverage of hockey, soccer and football.

Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't partially WTC's job to make sure that news departments have PR information about things....like their world championship. We have a PR department at work that works with news agencies when we want to make sure an event/launch/product release/ etc is covered in the paper.
Quote Reply
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sports illustrated actually had more than i'd ever expect when i was bumming around online yesterday.

http://www.si.com/edge

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ESPN's triathlon page doesn't even mention it. If you search Ironman the page that comes out on top is, http://espn.go.com/...n-world-championship

Apparently Craig Alexander and Chrissy Wellington won.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is why the pro field is irrelevant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what i recall they institute a sort of black out to media for the actual race. They want it to appear to be a live show when they show it this winter. It has always been like this, nothing for race day other than local hawaii papers and now the internet, but then tons of stuff later on when the show goes up on national TV. It is not their intention to get publicity for the race now, so their PR dept is probably doing nothing in that regard on purpose..
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I checked red bull and Scott bikes yesterday, no mention of kienle. Found it odd his sponsors didn't even care.
Quote Reply
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is inherently the problem. WTC views it is a product to be promoted as some kind of spectacle rather than a world-class athletic event. It also reflects how they view their champions as not being newsworthy. No print media will write about the event when NBC carries the event...
Quote Reply
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
I checked red bull and Scott bikes yesterday, no mention of kienle. Found it odd his sponsors didn't even care.

But it did mention he won Frankfurt. Red bull is excited about some BMX jumping contest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But that doesn't work in today's social media society. No one is tuning into IM Hawaii in Dec and assuming/thinking this is some live event.

Of course I don't think the fat guy on the couch "watching" NBC in Dec., thinks it is live. Viewers aren't that stupid, they watch it cus NBC perfectly puts it in Dec when there is not really much of anything else on a Saturday afternoon.

So if they are really failing to push for updates from their championship (press releases to thousands of news print agencies) because they want it be viewed entirely in their Dec. telecast, they just are behind the times.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But but but.... That's why I started doing triathlons 32 years ago. It was so, uhm, out there. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would become as popular as it is now, with people dropping $800 on a race fee and $12,000 for a bike. Popularity can be a curse....

I really feel sorry for the pros though. They work their asses off then are rewarded with a sit down with Callum. ;)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
But but but.... That's why I started doing triathlons 32 years ago. It was so, uhm, out there. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would become as popular as it is now, with people dropping $800 on a race fee and $12,000 for a bike. Popularity can be a curse....

I really feel sorry for the pros though. They work their asses off then are rewarded with a sit down with Callum. ;)

-Robert

Well they knew what they were getting into when they decided to try and make a living from it. Not saying they don't deserve more, but if money was the issue....they probably should have chosen a job that paid better.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I found interesting is that when I was glued to the computer screen, my son came up next to me, watched for 2 minutes and then said "wow, that's boring"...and that was at one of the most interesting parts of the broadcast. I think that says a lot. Unless you know something about the athletes...it just isn't very interesting. In my opinion, if they really want to draw public attention they should make more primes and make the amounts larger. Not only would that put excitement within the 9 hour watching period, but it would also make it more unknown who will win. Perhaps someone would target the "first to Hawi" bike prime or the "first person to the energy lab".

Quote | Reply
Or, they really only care about the final televised product, which will get a huge number of viewers, many of whom won't know this year's respective winners

_________

This is why it doesn't make sense to go with a black out policy with regards to media and it's results. The NBC telecast will not be affected because the media reports it's winners. Hell the guy who reads the sports section in Oct likely wont even put the 2 events together when he watches it in Dec (2 full months after the fact), or won't care enough to affect the ratings.

I get that the NBC package is a huge marketing moment for WTC. But if they truly are doing a black out with all media outlets besides industry media, that's stupid in my opinion. Again, that's if they aren't pushing for it to be in print media. If they are pushing out press release to a thousand media cohorts and all of them are throwing it in trash, that's different.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the same with Felt this AM. First and second place female podium and their webpage didn't have anything about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Americans need blood, injuries, fighting, refs getting screamed at. Look what Mac did for (to) tennis! Maybe WTC should stage some fights during the bike leg, or have some Ben Hur style bikes. Machine guns at the special needs station. Girls pole dancing? I don't know but give the problem to some Madison Avenue types and they will radically alter the sport.

I miss the days we just all showed up with some ratty bikes, a speedo and some old running shoes....

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what sort of media response there would be if WTC took 20-30 people with interesting stories and ran pieces on each of them in the months preceding Kona (like ESPN 30 for 30), then make the coverage about their story and the pros.....or perhaps WTC doesn't even care about the publicity, they have an active customer base that sells out there events regularly. Why spend the extra advertising $$?
Quote Reply
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
I did the same with Felt this AM. First and second place female podium and their webpage didn't have anything about it.

Who reads web pages for news??

Check out the twitter and other social media.
Quote Reply
Re: 32 pages of sports in the newspaper with no mention of the Ironman [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure WTC could do more - the coverage of 70.3 WC's speaks volumes - but I acknowledge some logistical challenges. Sports desks aren't super well staffed and it's tough to pull someone away from college football, NFL, MLB playoffs, opening of hockey season, NBA training camps, etc. to cover a fringe sport... no less expensive to do so. The NY Times won't lose a single subscription because they didn't cover Kona and that newspaper probably has the highest percentage of its readership falling into the tri demographic (age, income, education background) as any media outlet save perhaps the WSJ.

The default for any coverage will probably be wire reports written by someone from Reuters or AP based on the islands. That person's sports journalism experience is probably largely focused on covering big wave surfing events.

Having said that, if WTC really cared, they'd be courting writers like Juliet Macur to care about triathlon. If she *wanted* to cover it, I'm sure the NY Times would be willing to pay her fare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So essentially repeat the NBC Kona telecast 20-30 times throughout the year?

They'd make no more money then they currently do now on the 1 time a year telecast. In fact I'd probably say a bit of triathlon burn out would begin if the whole stick was the same 4 stories (overcoming cancer, overcoming the oldest person in the field, overcoming "training" as a full time soccer mom with 4 kids, pro athlete training).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply

Prev Next